Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok it's no secret that the family in America, for that matter in the industrialized world, is in trouble.

For the last 30 or so years the Church's main response has been to tell men to do better. Better at avoiding temptation, better at loving as Christ loved, better and leading, basically "stepping up". Doesn't matter if the context is a men's conference, a marriage conference, the Sunday sermon, heck even some women's conferences. The message is still the same. Men step up.

I just have one question.

How is that strategy working out?

Look I'm not saying that men don't need to "step up" or do better or whatever else you want to call it. I'm just suggesting that the current strategy is failing epically.

I'm also not suggesting that the problem is women or a lack of them being told to step up.

I guess what I'm getting at is that yes, a huge part of the problem is men not stepping up but that the current way of telling them to step up is largely ineffective. What are some ways that the ultimate goal could be better accomplished?

dinonum

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
Indiana
✟29,804.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The "men step up" message is annoyingly overdone, but I don't think as a whole it is necessarily ineffective. Unfortunately, "men step up" isn't really the whole I guess, really it's "men and women step up" that should be preached.

I remember being in TLW classes and when the guys went into their class it was all about things like being tempted by inappropriate content, being Christlike, etc. The girls classes? Boys are gross, boys will manipulate, boys pressure, etc. I hated it! I felt so excluded as a girl who was regularly viewing inappropriate contentography and wanted to be more like Christ. What I realized though is that the women teaching TLW and the men teaching TLW were teaching what they thought were the most important things for the different genders.

Why isn't it that we all need to step up because we are supposed to be followers of Jesus Christ? I hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0

Created2Write

His Pink Princess
Mar 12, 2010
Oregon
✟13,703.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dinonum, I agree entirely.

Honestly, I think the stereotypes could be a part of what's causing the issue. For teen girls, it's about dressing modestly, double/group dating, not having sex or getting pregnant, etc. For teen guys it's about abstaining from lust, not looking at inappropriate content, etc. For adult men it's about not being lazy, not viewing inappropriate content, not expecting the wife to do it all, not putting work ahead of family, not paying attention to the hot, blond secretary, etc. For adult women it's about respecting their husband, working as his supporter, or being a good single parent, etc.

What about the teen girls struggling with sex?
What about the teen boys struggling with homosexuality?
What about the adult men struggling with a manipulative, drama-focused, habitually lying wife?
What about the adult women struggling with lust and getting attention from multiple guys?

Seriously, there are so many more problems that the main ones the church focuses on. I don't know of a solution. Just know that there's a problem. Men, yes, need to step up. But so do women. ALL of us could be so much better than we are, regardless of gender.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, overdone is a good term. It's not, by itself bad or wrong. In fact it's something that does in fact need to happen. Men DO need to do a better job at "stepping up." My issue is that what's being done now, and for the last 30 or so years isn't working. It isn't causing that to happen. So what do we need to do differently?

I'm not for a second suggesting that we abandon entirely the "step up" message. And I'm not even suggesting that the "step up" message be directed at both genders. I'm asking that since repeating the message as has been done has not been effective, what else can we do, IN ADDITION?

Upvote 0

Created2Write

His Pink Princess
Mar 12, 2010
Oregon
✟13,703.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hmm...honestly, I had a similar question recently. When I was in youth, and the sexes were split to discuss different things, for girls they always focused on dressing modestly and not having sex/getting pregnant. Well, it didn't work. Over half of the girls I knew(including myself) had some kind of physical/sexual relationship with at least one person before they were 22. That method isn't working.

Neither is this one. So, obviously, something needs to be done to change the outcome. WHAT is the question, as you just said. I would say to start with more detail. HOW can men "step up"? HOW can women "step up"? If a man struggles with leading, we need to give him answers on HOW to lead, as well as give his wife answers on HOW to support and respect him. If a woman struggles with lying, we need to give her answers on HOW to stop lying, as well as her husband answers on HOW to help her. Accountability with an outside source would be good, I think.

Yeah. Anyway, I think we need to find the issues that need to be addressed, and actually address them. Instead of saying, "Your anger towards your wife and children is bad!" and leaving it there, we need to offer answers as to how to FIX the anger problem. What caused it? How long has it been there? How do you know when it's going to surface? Here's what can help:...etc.

For me, hearing, "Sex is bad, unless inside of marriage! You don't want to cause a brother to fall!" wasn't enough. I needed more than facts, I needed answers as to HOW I could abstain, HOW I could reject sex when I really, really wanted it.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hmm...honestly, I had a similar question recently. When I was in youth, and the sexes were split to discuss different things, for girls they always focused on dressing modestly and not having sex/getting pregnant. Well, it didn't work. Over half of the girls I knew(including myself) had some kind of physical/sexual relationship with at least one person before they were 22. That method isn't working.

Neither is this one. So, obviously, something needs to be done to change the outcome. WHAT is the question, as you just said. I would say to start with more detail. HOW can men "step up"? HOW can women "step up"? If a man struggles with leading, we need to give him answers on HOW to lead, as well as give his wife answers on HOW to support and respect him. If a woman struggles with lying, we need to give her answers on HOW to stop lying, as well as her husband answers on HOW to help her. Accountability with an outside source would be good, I think.

Yeah. Anyway, I think we need to find the issues that need to be addressed, and actually address them. Instead of saying, "Your anger towards your wife and children is bad!" and leaving it there, we need to offer answers as to how to FIX the anger problem. What caused it? How long has it been there? How do you know when it's going to surface? Here's what can help:...etc.

For me, hearing, "Sex is bad, unless inside of marriage! You don't want to cause a brother to fall!" wasn't enough. I needed more than facts, I needed answers as to HOW I could abstain, HOW I could reject sex when I really, really wanted it.

All of this is good but there one part in particular that I think is VERY key. The part about him leading and her supporting and respecting that. Too often I think the problem is that she takes a "I'll support and respect him as soon as he starts leading" attitude. What's forgotten is that many men have no idea what leading looks like. For that matter many women don't either. And as bad as them both having NO idea what it looks like is, what is worse is when they each have very different ideas as to what it looks like. But the real point is that most men need the support and respect in order to even begin to lead in a Christlike way.

Upvote 0
L

Lyndie

I think there are lots of reasons. One being the mixed messages we get. I've heard everything from "Never ever confront your husband/wife about anything he might be doing wrong, just be a better wife/husband" to "Take him/her before the church for a public rebuke". I also think they is no 'one size fits all' answer to many of the marriage issues today. Use the bible, absolutley. But we can't take our spouse to the church board for leaving the socks on the floor anymore than we could 'just pray more' for the wife who is addicted to meth.
One more thing, if the church would step up and not hide issues that may be going with married couples we'd be better off. Too many times I have seen the just pray more advice simply because churches don't want anyone to know that (gasp) our members aren't perfect.
I also agree with previous posters that telling someone to do something and showing them how to do something are two different things.

Upvote 0

Created2Write

His Pink Princess
Mar 12, 2010
Oregon
✟13,703.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All of this is good but there one part in particular that I think is VERY key. The part about him leading and her supporting and respecting that. Too often I think the problem is that she takes a "I'll support and respect him as soon as he starts leading" attitude. What's forgotten is that many men have no idea what leading looks like. For that matter many women don't either. And as bad as them both having NO idea what it looks like is, what is worse is when they each have very different ideas as to what it looks like. But the real point is that most men need the support and respect in order to even begin to lead in a Christlike way.

Exactly. My mom was a prayer leader/deacon at a church we attended a few years back, and she was waiting to pray for people when a husband and wife came up to get prayer. The wife said she and her husband felt God calling the husband to be the leader of the family. My mom tried to ask him questions, but the wife kept answering for him. My mom flat out told her, "If you want him to lead, you have to learn to LET him lead. If you've been leading this whole time, you need to now learn how to support and respect him, by stepping back and allowing him to step into this role. It starts with you."

The woman was livid. I don't think they came back to our church. And I think part of it IS that neither spouse knows what leading looks like, or what support and respect looks like, for that matter. Respect and love aren't the same thing, and I often have trouble remembering that, for my husband, love isn't enough. He needs to feel trusted, respected and supported as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Created2Write

His Pink Princess
Mar 12, 2010
Oregon
✟13,703.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think there are lots of reasons. One being the mixed messages we get. I've heard everything from "Never ever confront your husband/wife about anything he might be doing wrong, just be a better wife/husband" to "Take him/her before the church for a public rebuke". I also think they is no 'one size fits all' answer to many of the marriage issues today. Use the bible, absolutley. But we can't take our spouse to the church board for leaving the socks on the floor anymore than we could 'just pray more' for the wife who is addicted to meth.
One more thing, if the church would step up and not hide issues that may be going with married couples we'd be better off. Too many times I have seen the just pray more advice simply because churches don't want anyone to know that (gasp) our members aren't perfect.
I also agree with previous posters that telling someone to do something and showing them how to do something are two different things.

The part about the church is KEY. My father went to a pastor at our former church because a male member of the church was being sexually inappropriate. Well, that Pastor was very close friends with that particular male member, and he FLIPPED on my dad. He was hateful and told my dad to never come to him for anything ever again. A Pastor!!! Everyone else in the church knew about this male member's sexual addictions; he even admitted to them! But the Pastor REFUSED to acknowledge this member's wrong doing because he was close friends with him, and had struggled with similar things himself.

It's very sad.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There probably are but in the context of the family and it's degradation I think these are some of the fundamental issues. What other problems are you thinking of?
Negative attitudes about genuine Biblical masculinity is the major one that comes to mind.

Upvote 0

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I really like the "Crazy Cycle" approach. It says:
When things go wrong, men feel disrespected.
When men feel disrespected, they don't show love.

When things go wrong, women feel unloved.
When women feel unloved, they don't show respect.

Either partner can *stop* the cycle by choosing to show love (men) or respect (women).

This is a great way to look at problems in a marriage. It addresses the issues of both genders, and tells a way for either partner to turn things around.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by teddyv
There probably are but in the context of the family and it's degradation I think these are some of the fundamental issues. What other problems are you thinking of?
Reply by Chaz
Negative attitudes about genuine Biblical masculinity is the major one that comes to mind.

Chaz
Could you be more specific? I am sure you have a valid point but I am not sure what you mean.

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I went back and reviewed your posts and I think I understand a bit more. Are you saying that your post below is the negative attitudes about genuine masculinity?

Quote of Chaz
For the last 30 or so years the Church's main response has been to tell men to do better. Better at avoiding temptation, better at loving as Christ loved, better and leading, basically "stepping up".

Upvote 0

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. My mom was a prayer leader/deacon at a church we attended a few years back, and she was waiting to pray for people when a husband and wife came up to get prayer. The wife said she and her husband felt God calling the husband to be the leader of the family. My mom tried to ask him questions, but the wife kept answering for him. My mom flat out told her, "If you want him to lead, you have to learn to LET him lead. If you've been leading this whole time, you need to now learn how to support and respect him, by stepping back and allowing him to step into this role. It starts with you."

The woman was livid. I don't think they came back to our church. And I think part of it IS that neither spouse knows what leading looks like, or what support and respect looks like, for that matter. Respect and love aren't the same thing, and I often have trouble remembering that, for my husband, love isn't enough. He needs to feel trusted, respected and supported as well.

You broke the code. It doesnt matter how you want to define your marriage, truly, we all have different ideas.....BUT, the bulk vast majority today is a very very subtle (and its so normal the usual suspects here wont see it at all) normal way to set things up as something like:

1. Men need to step up
2. Women THEN will settle into being wives (whether that means submission, cooperation, whatever...it doesnt matter)
3. Now lets get back to the men stepping up
A. inappropriate content, abuse
B. Men cant communicate
c. Men are simpletons, give a burger and any kind of sport
D. Random joke about men
E. man gives tearful testimony about how HE finally healed, which is a good thing, he licked inappropriate content or drugs or booze whatever, but what it boils down to in melange is he healed FROM being a regular man in mans regular state which differs only by degrees, where by degrees men are all lushes or violent or relationally stupid at least.

To a point I do not blame women for how this goes. If I were a women and I heard this so much, Id do the same thing, which is the harmful part of the man step up that they do not realize...Id lower my expectations at minimum, and become suspicious and controlling at maximum. And I would absolutely take "husband step up" to mean MY husband has some ground to cover BEFORE I even need to think on myself....regardless the reality of where that husband is morally spiritually....all women don't fall into this......sooooooo many do, and its the root behind the divorce rate in church, and its basis is strangely on both low expectations of present state and at the same time ironically unrealistically HIGH expectations of his potential achievable state.

He is by default starting at the uber fallen level of his gender. BUT, just look at that guy and what he overcame and his wife is so happy and proud and he seems SUCH a wonderful man and I TOO can have a man like that, a man first broken of spirit then knit back together...why imagine the emotional highs I'm going to get to experience as I walk with him through this.....God is great and I will FEEL feelings and he hubby will share and cry and break down and oooooooo I get so emotionally engaged just pondering it. Its like a dang drug. Its like therefore the lack of such a transformative thing is showing that the husband is NOT stepping up....and frankly then he aint interested in the relationship and I aint happy because we arent connecting and we cant cooperate and I tell him Id cooperate if he would just step up (which means the above) and on it goes......NOTE...my example language is an exaggeration intentionally, I do not literally mean so many people want such extreme things.....the dynamic though I think is accurate...and it starts with teen girls listening at church and watching their moms how they manage these things. Ive taken my boys out of sermons that are like this, and folks think what the heck is the problem man, this is GOOD stuff, cant you see, men are weeping, wife's are comforting them....man this is heavy!

Its not about power that must be gained by one side and lost by the other, like a scale. It IS about stopping the facade of whatever you want to call it in your marriage I dont care your power balance, I dont even think I HAVE a power balance....we just have settled into something, that that THING absolutely had to get past this failed notion that the wife is somehow spiritually superior and therefore her word is final, her control even in so called submissive marriage...is ABSOLUTE. She gets to judge him, then react....If he is a good boy, she will let him drive and she will sit and NAVIGATE....some days she will drive AND navigate, and others, outsiders, see a traditional submission thing happening, while what it is is this warped thing thats created a set of layered enigmas that look like some entitlement. The most overtly submissive marriages, the ones that if seen, the ladies here who react to submission as if its a weapon, they would see something ugly and wrong....meanwhile, under one layer of that onion, just like C2W's example, there is a stern jawed women in full and iron control, while bringing coffee to a table for of men guests after church at the house....by laser vision and subtle flicks of the eyes, she "manages" her husband...the topics he can broach, the length of the visit, the men who are invited , because she just doesnt approve that so and so keep a bottle of bourbon in the cabinet.....this is my in-laws...they are the quintessential baptist small southern town servile wife who actually runs EVERYTHING and the man is like some kind of figurehead.
When that is the status of the so called traditional, what would be todays couples who blanch at the word submission, where the men (fearfully and chivalrous at the same time) RUSH to defend against any notion of any concept that remotely hints at any gender differences because he knows its (submission and equality) a more serious topic with worse consequences than even saying "yes you do look fat in that dress"

IOW, the fix will sting women's ears....badly, because the current way is the norm, the fix will seem outrageous, it will seem woman hating and misogyny allegations will fly...as women IRONICALLY tell their husbands "we are gonna find another church where I can be the kind of wife God wants me to be and be cooperative, and he will say yes dear".....HUH

Divorces will ensue, scorched earth even....its a purge before a rebuild, IF it were o occur before the end of days. Sadly I dont think it will, and a growing but small number of people MAYBE can live IN that mess but not OF that mess. Those marriages at least lower the possibility of a silly groundless divorce.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

waxlion10

Just shut up and be delicious- Dwight
Mar 27, 2006
United States
Visit site
✟10,368.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I really struggle when people stereotype and say, "Women need love; men need respect."

I am a woman, and I need BOTH.
My husband is a man, and he needs BOTH.
We BOTH need BOTH.

For people (and some Christian authors I've read) to say that women would rather be loved and men would rather be respected is, imo, stereotypical, inaccurate, and detrimental to marriages.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Haha! Yeah.

My wife and I have agreed that I will boss her into going a Christ-like way; and she will manipulate me into leading in a Christ-like way. She's my arm-candy, and I'm her project. We're sure that's what a healthy marriage is like. ;)

Ultimately, I think the trite and bogus teachings tend to be more for the sake of outsiders than for the kids (or couples, or whomever is the target audience), themselves. It's hard to argue with, "don't get involved with inappropriate contentography," or, "treat your spouse with love and respect." Throw in a few choice Scripture verses and you've done your part to fix marriage in America. After all, surely failed marriages come about because *insert scapegoat here*... and if people only knew that they should love their partners... Och, what a difference it would be.

Now, I joke about the boss/manipulator dynamic that's so popular in conservative circles, but if it can be maintained, it probably works at keeping marriages together. It's no way to live, though. Your mom had a lot of wisdom, methinks, at pointing out that the woman didn't really want what she said she wanted. To my mind, the church is being lazy. Rather than working with marriages on a case-by-case basis, there's a simple catch-all that can be packaged neatly and in easy-to-understand sound bytes.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.