Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLambofJesus
"Thou art a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek." This one grand statement shows that Jesus is not like any of the other priests who the people of Israel knew so much about. The entire seventh chapter of Hebrews is about THE MELCHIZEDEK CONNECTION, that is, it is about the way Jesus Christ, and thus, His body, the Royal Priesthood, is related to a strange man named Melchizedek. And the connection between Jesus Christ and Melchizedek is worth exploring. Let's take a look at the Melchizedek Connection.
Let's!
:thumbsup:

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,818.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
We can start from the catholic roman Eucharistic Prayer, that cames from the II century (the OO coptic liturgy is similar in that):
Look with favor on these offerings and accept them as once you accepted the gifts of your servant Abel, the sacrifice of Abraham, our father in faith, and the bread and wine offered by your priest Melchizedek

Let's keep in mind Psalm 110:4: The LORD has sworn and will not change his mind, "You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek."

It is clear that the sacrifice of Christ, re-newed in the Eucharist, is the fullness of the one of Melchisedek, and NOT of the one of Aaron

More in general we can say that exist many different kind of Priesthood in Christianity (English use a single words for many different ideas):

- the Priesthood of Aaron: they were the priest who served the temple of Jerusalem. It was hereditary (tribe of Levi). Jesus was NOT a priest according Aaron

- the Priesthood of Melchisedek, that is a figure of the Priesthood of Christ. Christ is the Only One High Priest.
His sacrifice was only one, and He was both the Priest and the Victim.

- the Priesthood of all believers: it is our chance, as christians, to unit ourself with Christ on the Cross

- the bishop and presbiters (priests): it is a ministry, the ministry to re-new the sacrifice of the cross in every Eucharistic, in order to let us touch such sacrifice.

Upvote 0

Knowledge3

Mar 29, 2005
✟9,814.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
OT Melchizedek

a-378.jpg

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
We can start from the catholic roman Eucharistic Prayer, that cames from the II century (the OO coptic liturgy is similar in that):
Hi. Thanks. But there are many Christ-ians that are not catholics, [myself included], and this site does have the most extensive study on the Royal Priesthood [33 parts] including 7 parts just on Melchizedek that I have seen.

I recommend it and can be used in conjunction with the catholic study on it.

http://www.kingdombiblestudies.org/priest/RP24.htm
The Royal Priesthood-The Melchizedek Connection

........."Now consider HOW GREAT THIS MAN WAS, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils. And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham: but he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises. And without all contradiction THE LESS IS BLESSED OF THE BETTER. And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth. And as I may so say, Levi also, who received tithes, payed tithes in Abraham. For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchizedek met him" (Heb. 7:4-10)..............

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,818.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
http://www.kingdombiblestudies.org/priest/RP24.htm
The Royal Priesthood-The Melchizedek Connection

This page is almost rubbish.

This site says that God created two men, Melchisedek and Adam, but while Adam fall in the original sin, Melcisedek did not....rubbish unsuported by the Bible

It is not serious to start from two lines verse in the Bible (and in fact we have ONLY a very few verses in the Bible about that), and to write pages and pages of theories that are not supported by these only verses.

This kind of Bible study is NOT for me. We call this pages: personal revelation

The only think if you want to have more material to study a part the few verses we have, is not to read these pages of personal revelations, but to study in the Jewish and Christian early tradition which was the understanding about Melikisedek.

And the early Christians saw Melikisedek as a figure of the Messiah, of Christ. An allegory. A sign that the the priesthood is something more general than the priesthood of Aaronn.

And, from an historical poit of view, the Bible scolars simply state that Melchisedec reminds the historical moment when the Jews arrived in Palestinia and found there an existing population with his religious customs: and the Jews mixed with such population and took also some of those customs (like the use to settle temples for sacrifices in some fixed places)

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This kind of Bible study is NOT for me. We call this pages: personal revelation
I didn't put it up just for you and I realize catholics are more relegated to their own denomination's studies. I won't comment on the Catholic view though as each person in Christ reads and studies the Bible as the Spirit moves them. Anyway, thanks for your response. :wave:

Revelation 1:6 and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him [be] glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
Revelation 5:10 And have made us kings and priests to our God; And we shall reign on the earth."

http://www.kingdombiblestudies.org/priest/RP1.htm

.......There are many other examples of such words and phrases, but one we want to consider in this message is the proclamation of the Lord to His people in Ex. 19:5-6: "And ye shall be unto Me A KINGDOM OF PRIESTS." The full text reads, "Now, therefore, if ye will obey My voice indeed, and keep My covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto Me above all people: for all the earth is Mine: and ye shall be unto Me A KINGDOM OF PRIESTS, and an holy nation." The subject of the royal Priesthood, like many of the themes of Scripture, is inexhaustible. It sparkles as the twinkling stars of the heavens with glories which many have not yet beheld.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Interesting,
I have been studying about this
subject again, and I just
happened to be on the link
that you have posted here
antv.

Hadnt seen your link lloJ,
thanks for sharing it,
sunlover

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And the early Christians saw Melikisedek as a figure of the Messiah, of Christ. An allegory. A sign that the the priesthood is something more general than the priesthood of Aaronn.
I would think a lot of the earliest CHRIST-ians saw a lot of alleghory in the Bible. For example the "2 covenants" Gala 4:

.....Gala 4:30 but what saith the Writing? `Be you casting out! [#1544 ekbale] the maid-servant and her son, for the son of the maid-servant may not be heir with the son of the free-woman;'

Reve 11:2 and, the Court/Palace [Court of High Priest/Altar of Burnt Offerings?] the one without the Sanctuary, be you Casting Out!! [#1544 ek-bale] out-side,[exw #1854]

http://www.christianforums.com/t4629874-what-about-the-court-in-revelation-112.html

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here's a very nice link for you LLOJ.
It's about the qumram and it
has a couple of references to the
Melchizedek priesthood.

sunlover.
Thanks for that link sunny!
I wonder why only the Book of Hebrews mentions Him in the NC? :eek:

http://www.scripture4all.org/

melcisedek <3198>, Hebrew 5:6, 10, 6:20, 7:1, 10, 11, 15, 17

Genesis 14:18 Now Malkiy-Tsedeq, king of Shalem, had brought forth bread and wine,--he being Priest of 'El-Most-High/'Elyown. 19 And he blessed him, and said, "blessed be Abram of 'El-most-high/'Elyown, possessor of heaven and land 20 And blessed be 'El-most-high/'elyown, who hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand". And he gave him a tenth of all.

Matthew 26:26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it; and he gave to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat; this is my body". 27 And He took a cup, and gave thanks, and gave to them, saying, "Drink ye all of it; 28 for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many unto remission of sins".

Mark 14:22 And as they were eating, He took bread, and when he had blessed, he brake it, and gave to them, and said, "Take ye: this is my body". 23 And He took a cup, and when He had given thanks, He gave to them, and they all drank of it. 24 And He said unto them, "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many".

Hebrews 7:1 For this the Malkiy-Tsedeq/melcisedek <3198>, King of Salem/salhm <4532>, Priest/iereuV <2409 of the GOD of the most-high/uyistou <5310>, the together-joining Abraham turning-back from the smiting of the kings, and did bless him.
12 For being changed the Priesthood, out of necessity also, of Law a change is becoming.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Melchizededek was the preincarnate Jesus Christ.
Correct. :)

In fact, the whole Melchizedek giving wine and bread to Abraham was a foreshadow to the Eucharist. :idea:

There is a small blurb, article thing in the Orthodox Study Bible where Melchizedek is mentioned. I believe it has to do with differences of his priesthood and the priesthood of the NT Church.
I may post it after I eat.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Correct. :)

In fact, the whole Melchizedek giving wine and bread to Abraham was a foreshadow to the Eucharist. :idea:

There is a small blurb, article thing in the Orthodox Study Bible where Melchizedek is mentioned. I believe it has to do with differences of his priesthood and the priesthood of the NT Church.
I may post it after I eat.
Yep. Most of the book of Hebrews and Revelations concerns the OC Priesthood in my humble view. :wave:

Matthew 24:1 And coming out, the Jesus went forth from the Temple, and came toward His Disciples to show to Him the buildings of the Temple

Reve 11:1 And was given to me a reed, like-as a rod one-saying: "Be rousing! and measure! the Sanctuary/naon <3485> of the GOD and the altar and those worshipping in him/it.
2 and the Court/aulhn <833>, the-one with-out/in of-the Sanctuary, be thou Casting Out!/ ek-bale 1544 (5628)] out-side/exw <1854>

http://www.nsbible.org/sits_ts/v0s1.htm

The Camp--The Court--The Tabernacle--The Brazen Altar--The Laver-- The Table--The Lampstand--The Golden Altar--The Mercy Seat and Ark--The Gate--The First Veil--The Second Veil--The Significance of These and Their Antitypes.

Upvote 0

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Hebrews 7 the author wrote to his readers that they were expecting a new covenant and a better priest to come. This better priest would replace the imperfect, Mosaic priesthood.While in Hebrews 7 it seemed the writer of Hebrews pulled Melchizedek out of the blue, Psalm 110 - which alludes to Melchizedek - is the key passage quoted in Hebrews 7. In fact the author of Hebrews directly quoted Psalm 110 4+ times.

There is a progression from Genesis 14:18 (which first mentions Melchizedek) to Psalm 110 (a psalm with additional revelation) and then to Hebrews 7.
Melchizedek was a man - a king-priest - who worshipped God. Scripture did not record his birth, death, or life outside of the events of Genesis 14. Scripture also did not state that Melchizedek was Christ. Instead, both Psalm 110 and Hebrews 7 emphasized the mystery of Melchizedek in applying it to the Messiah, Jesus Christ, who in His being is truly without beginning and end.

Psalm 110 was a key Messianic Psalm written by David, and was often quoted in the NT. The Messiah was prophesied to come through the tribe of Judah, then later through the Davidic line as a king (ruler). Psalm 110:7 mentions that the Messiah will also be a priest forever, after the order of Melchizedek. This idea of a king-priest wasn't new in Scripture, as David and his descendants performed certain priestly roles, like overseeing the building of the temple and the work of the priests/Levites. They had limitations (like Uzziah burning incense before the Lord - strictly an Aaronic priest function) but their status as God's vice-regent on earth included priestly authority even over the high priest. See also Zech 6:12-13.

So the combination of king-priest in the Messiah wasn't a foreign concept to the Jews. And the writer of Hebrews used Psalm 110 to show that Jesus, the Davidic king-priest, had a superior priesthood to that of the Aaronic priesthood.

LDG

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I linked to this article by Catholic professor and convert Dr. Scott Hahn in LittleLamb's other thread on same subject. :thumbsup:
How bout the Covenantle parable of the "rich man/lazarus" which also seems to symolize a type of "Priesthood". The greek word used in Luke 16:19 is eerily close to the greek word used for "abyss" in Revelation with the letter "a" before it usually denoting a "negative" in the greek. :wave:

http://foru.ms/t4437955-lazarus-and-the-rich-man.html

Luke 16:19 A Man, yet any, was rich and in-slipped, purple and fine-linen/busson <1040>, making merry down to a day, splendidly.

Reve 11:7 `And whenever they should be finishing the witness of them, the wild-beast/n, the-one ascending out of the Abyss/a-bussou<12>f, shall be doing battle with them, and he shall be conquering them, and he shall be killing them,

Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
How bout the Covenantle parable of the "rich man/lazarus" which also seems to symolize a type of "Priesthood".
I've not studied that in particular, but there is indeed more than one kind of priesthood described in Scripture. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Arphaxad12

BIBLE TECHNICIAN
Jul 5, 2007
Detroit, Michigan, USA
✟8,628.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Guys!

Sorry, but to me it's very simple: Melchizedek was Jesus "incognito" in the OT. He had no beginning of days, nor end of life. Only GOD has no beginning of days.

Please note, scripture does NOT say: " No recorded beginning of days." It says: "No beginning of days,"

If you think Christ was not present many times and in many ways in the OT, please note Paul's confirmation of the New Birth (the spirit of Christ in you) in all believers in the OT:
=======================================================================
Col 1:26-27 [Even] the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:

27 To whom God would make known what [is] the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

Rev 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him (the imaginary Beast), whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Hbr 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

(underlines, parentheses, bolding and color emphases are my own).
======================================================================

So it seems that ALL believers, both in the OT and NT were justified and born again by the same means - the shed blood of Jesus. The OT folks just didn't know it or Jesus name either.

Not that they weren't curious: Jacob and even Samson's father asked: "What is your name?" They didn't get an answer!:
Gen 32:29 And Jacob asked [him], and said, Tell [me], I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore [is] it [that] thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.

Jdg 13:17-18 And Manoah said unto the angel of the LORD, What [is] thy name, that when thy sayings come to pass we may do thee honour?

18 And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Why askest thou thus after my name, seeing it is secret?

Jdg 13:22 And Manoah said unto his wife, We shall surely die, because we have seen God.

(underlines, bolding and color emphases are my own.

Best Blessings,
"Arph"
--------------

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Watching . . .
Watching with you. Thought for sure you'd
have something to teach about this.
:scratch:

Hi Guys!

Sorry, but to me it's very simple: Melchizedek was Jesus "incognito" in the OT. He had no beginning of days, nor end of life. Only GOD has no beginning of days.

Please note, scripture does NOT say: " No recorded beginning of days." It says: "No beginning of days,"

If you think Christ was not present many times and in many ways in the OT, please note Paul's confirmation of the New Birth (the spirit of Christ in you) in all believers in the OT:
Col 1:26-27 [Even] the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:

27 To whom God would make known what [is] the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

Rev 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him (the imaginary Beast), whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Hbr 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

(underlines, parentheses, bolding and color emphases are my own).

So it seems that ALL believers, both in the OT and NT were justified and born again by the same means - the shed blood of Jesus. The OT folks just didn't know it or Jesus name either.

Not that they weren't curious: Jacob and even Samson's father asked: "What is your name?" They didn't get an answer!:
Gen 32:29 And Jacob asked [him], and said, Tell [me], I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore [is] it [that] thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.

Jdg 13:17-18 And Manoah said unto the angel of the LORD, What [is] thy name, that when thy sayings come to pass we may do thee honour?

18 And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Why askest thou thus after my name, seeing it is secret?

Jdg 13:22 And Manoah said unto his wife, We shall surely die, because we have seen God.

(underlines, bolding and color emphases are my own.

Best Blessings,
"Arph"
--------------
Thank you arph. Interesting observations.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0