Passing Through
✟457,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Am I the only one who did not recall that John McCain's MOTHER IS STILL ALIVE! WOW! Can you imagine living into your eighties, and still having your mom? I haven't had mine for decades and I'm nowhere near my eighties! Can you imagine attending your child's funeral when he was in his eighties?

"Now 106, the wife of a Navy admiral and mother of a Navy captain lived a life full of travel and adventure, punctuated by her sass and determination.

She once said her son liked to hold her up as an example of "what he hopes his lifespan will be."

But in the end, she is mourning him instead of the other way around.

Though slowed by a stroke, she is expected to attend memorial and burial services in Washington and Maryland later this week for the middle son she called "Johnny," the Vietnam prisoner of war, congressman, senator and two-time presidential candidate who died of brain cancer on Saturday at age 81."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/m...-to-attend-his-washington-services/ar-BBMD2UB

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Am I the only one who did not recall that John McCain's MOTHER IS STILL ALIVE! WOW! Can you imagine living into your eighties, and still having your mom? I haven't had mine for decades and I'm nowhere near my eighties! Can you imagine attending your child's funeral when he was in his eighties?

"Now 106, the wife of a Navy admiral and mother of a Navy captain lived a life full of travel and adventure, punctuated by her sass and determination.

She once said her son liked to hold her up as an example of "what he hopes his lifespan will be."

Though slowed by a stroke, she is expected to attend memorial and burial services in Washington and Maryland later this week for the middle son she called "Johnny," the Vietnam prisoner of war, congressman, senator and two-time presidential candidate who died of brain cancer on Saturday at age 81."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/m...-to-attend-his-washington-services/ar-BBMD2UB
What is interesting about her still being alive is that one of the campaign talking points when he ran for president the last time was his age. :) Looks like, if it weren't for stinking cancer... he would have made 4 or 8 years +.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
What is interesting about her still being alive is that one of the campaign talking points when he ran for president the last time was his age. :) Looks like, if it weren't for stinking cancer... he would have made 4 or 8 years +.

Oh definitely. President Jimmy Carter gave a nice interview about Senator McCain, while wearing a hard hat on account of being at a construction site for Habitat for Humanity. He's 93 years old, still out there working hard every day. I think Senator McCain would have been the same, staying active & productive long as he could.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

He would have been 82 yesterday. I didn't know that his mom was still alive either until I read it the other day.

Wiki has a long article about him. I didn't know how many other awards he had been given. These two and some others were surprises.

In 2010, President Mikheil Saakashvili of Georgia awarded McCain the Order of National Hero, an award never previously given to a non-Georgian.[462] In 2015, the Kiev Patriarchate awarded McCain its own version of the Order of St. Vladimir.[463]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCain#Awards_and_honors

Upvote 0