Mayor de Blasio tells New Yorkers not to panic. Cuomo says Ebola is under control

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes. You want to protect the people but you want to do the minimum necessary, to ensure compliance.

It may have actually been the best they could have done on the spur of the moment.

There are only like 11 units in the entire United States that can do the total isolation, like what we saw with the 2 nurses that got ebola from Duncan.

While the isolation in New Jersey wasn't the greatest, they were trying to isolate her from the main hospital so if she did get sick, it wouldn't cause a massive panic in the hospital.

I really think we should be contacting the Israeli government, to see if they can either loan us, or build us, some portable isolation units. Supposedly they know how to do build portable isolation units.

I really hope the 2 Ebola Vaccines being tested are successes, because that would solve a lot of problems. We could start innoculating healthcare workers, and if it makes them immune for about 10 years, then people wouldn't be as worried.

Upvote 0

Gumper

Redeemed
Feb 23, 2011
USA
✟16,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
It may have actually been the best they could have done on the spur of the moment.

There are only like 11 units in the entire United States that can do the total isolation, like what we saw with the 2 nurses that got ebola from Duncan.

While the isolation in New Jersey wasn't the greatest, they were trying to isolate her from the main hospital so if she did get sick, it wouldn't cause a massive panic in the hospital.

I really think we should be contacting the Israeli government, to see if they can either loan us, or build us, some portable isolation units. Supposedly they know how to do build portable isolation units.

I really hope the 2 Ebola Vaccines being tested are successes, because that would solve a lot of problems. We could start innoculating healthcare workers, and if it makes them immune for about 10 years, then people wouldn't be as worried.

That's a good idea. The Israelis have the best technology for that sort of thing

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟36,890.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I hope so too. I really think it's the only thing that will provide ongoing protection against Ebola, first in Africa and for health care workers, and then other at risk groups. I think there are 3 vaccines being tested, or about to start.

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Who of us is voluntarily going to take an Ebola vaccine?

I'd argue healthcare workers would, particularly nurses if it is proven safe. Even if someone slipped up in the protocol of removing the biohazard suits, if the vaccine works, it wouldn't be that big of a deal since they would be immune.

As it stands right now, the Doctors that have survived the virus along with the nurses, are probably immune to ebola for the time being. If the vaccine really works I would suggest the countries in Africa that do not have an outbreak of Ebola get vaccinated along with healthcare workers heading into the zone.

Not sure what giving a vaccine would do to someone that is already infected, I'm not a medical expert.

My point is, if we have an effective vaccine (or better still multiple effective vaccines), along with effective anti-virals, then people will be far less prone to panic.

Upvote 0

CryOfALion

Sep 10, 2014
✟1,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'd argue healthcare workers would, particularly nurses if it is proven safe. Even if someone slipped up in the protocol of removing the biohazard suits, if the vaccine works, it wouldn't be that big of a deal since they would be immune.

As it stands right now, the Doctors that have survived the virus along with the nurses, are probably immune to ebola for the time being. If the vaccine really works I would suggest the countries in Africa that do not have an outbreak of Ebola get vaccinated along with healthcare workers heading into the zone.

Not sure what giving a vaccine would do to someone that is already infected, I'm not a medical expert.

My point is, if we have an effective vaccine (or better still multiple effective vaccines), along with effective anti-virals, then people will be far less prone to panic.

If nurses are willing to lose their jobs over not taking the swine flue, or seasonal flu vaccine, I don't think many will take the ebola vaccine. I don't blame them.

I wouldn't take it; it has been at most nine months, with marginal human trials and time to observe true effects of a vaccine. The first people that take the vaccine will be the public test group - whether good or bad effects show up six minutes or six years later. No thanks.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Anybody who is worried about being infected by Ebola I would think.
Correct answer. :thumbsup:

Examples include:
- missionaries who feel called by God
- families of Ebola victims
- people surrounded by Ebola victims
- front line healthcare workers ... who may inadvertently be exposed
- TSA agents at front line airports
- children in public schools whose parents are concerned ;)

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,453,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I tend to listen to those who have been there....and can speak to the unintended consequences of reactionary policies:

As a physician with 15 years' experience in West Africa, and a recent Ebola survivor myself, I have both professional and personal insights into the likely consequences of such quarantine orders. Difficulties range from the order's impact on the global fight against Ebola, to a series of inconsistencies and logical loose ends in the rationale presented to justify it.

It is important that we avoid an isolationist approach to the Ebola epidemic in West Africa. On Oct. 21, Mali reported their first case of Ebola in a child who had crossed the border from Guinea. The borders in West Africa are porous and unregulated, as local people walk across the border to sell their wares or to seek medical attention. Other nations in West Africa also have vulnerable health systems which could be overwhelmed if enough Ebola cases occurred. In addition, there are thousands of travelers a day from Sub-Saharan Africa to countries in Asia like China, India and Pakistan. If the Ebola virus were to emerge in a major Asian population center, one can only imagine the impact.

Either one of these scenarios — widespread Ebola transmission across Africa or into a major population center in Asia — would lead to a tremendous increase in risk for cases in the United States, as well as overwhelming the world's resources to contain such an epidemic. The only way to reduce the risk of continued spread of Ebola is to bring it under control in those three countries where it has already taken root.

One unintended consequence of burdensome quarantine policies is that returning individuals may falsely report their activities or re-enter the jurisdiction by another route. Health care workers flying under the radar would indeed pose a risk to the public. A system of monitoring that encourages transparency and frequent contact between returnees and their local health departments would be the safest approach for all of us.

Dr. Sacra: Quarantine has negative consequences

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Mayor de Blasio tells New Yorkers not to panic. Cuomo says Ebola is under control

A representative from "Doctors Without Borders," who have been on the front lines for months fighting ebola in West Africa, has stated that compulsory quarantines not only gives the public a false sense of security but it also discourages medical personnel from volunteering.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

A representative from "Doctors Without Borders," who have been on the front lines for months fighting ebola in West Africa, has stated that compulsory quarantines not only gives the public a false sense of security but it also discourages medical personnel from volunteering.
Because a three-week all expense paid quarantine is so much worse than time spent on the front lines fighting Ebola in west Africa wearing full hazmat gear. Could be ... but seems rather unlikely.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Because a three-week all expense paid quarantine is so much worse than time spent on the front lines fighting Ebola in west Africa wearing full hazmat gear. Could be ... but seems rather unlikely.
Who has a better understanding of combating ebola - "Doctors Without Borders" or a couple of American governors looking for a "quick fix" to protect their political posteriors!

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Who has a better understanding of combating ebola - "Doctors Without Borders" or a couple of American governors looking for a "quick fix" to protect their political posteriors!
Noting that in the current outbreak the only countries in Africa which have successfully controlled Ebola have done so by limiting travel and/or closely monitoring (i.e., quarantining) travelers.

Ebola-free: How did Nigeria and Senegal do it? - LA Times

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,453,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Noting that in the current outbreak the only countries in Africa which have successfully controlled Ebola have done so by limiting travel and/or closely monitoring (i.e., quarantining) travelers.

Ebola-free: How did Nigeria and Senegal do it? - LA Times

Closely monitoring is not the same as quarantining.

The WHO credits Nigeria and Senegal for quickly identifying those who came in contact with their first patients and closely monitoring them for 21 days. Those who developed symptoms were placed in isolation and their contacts traced.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Yeah. Nothing says welcome home from your months fighting Ebola in a third world country like, "Now stay in your apartment for 3 weeks".

Thank you for your service...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Noting that the army observes a strict 21 day quarantine.

That's the Army's call. And they're basically in a dorm with a gym and, I assume, showers and actual toilets. Compare that with what Kaci Hickox was shoved into.

Thank you for your service...

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
About Ebola? No. If anything, the American media has followed the Democrat party line and downplayed Ebola.

What's the "Democrat" party? :scratch:

Regardless of whatever it is, the media is reporting what health professionals are saying about the disease, not what hysterical non-doctors and non-scientists like Sean Hannity, Ted Cruz and Louis Gohmert are saying.

And please describe for us how the media has "downplayed Ebola"?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
They don't have to eat rat meat, I've already provided a few examples as to how it could spread.

An infected rat could bite a child, or a person could stick their hand in the feces of an infected rat on accident.

Rats are not vectors for Ebola. Rat bites and feces are not vectors for Ebola.

Dogs and cats might potentially be carriers as well (I'm thinking this is far less likely in the US), but I wouldn't expect other people to get infected that way cause we can quarentine cats and dogs more easily, especially in the case of a family's pet.

There is no evidence for that.
Questions and Answers about Ebola and Pets | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC

Upvote 0

mickyd1961

Oct 5, 2014
In the killing fields of planet Earth.
✟15,391.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Really? No problem going face to face with one of the deadliest viruses in the history of mankind but a 21 day isolation afterwards is going to discourage you from going in the first place? What convoluted thinking.

Upvote 0