Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Tell that to the people that caught this working with the disease. Do you think they didn't know to take precautions??

From what I've gathered, proper precautions were not taken in all instances. This is Africa we're talking about, and these people are coming to the United States. The USA is far from a perfect country, but we do tend to have the best toys and excellent technical abilities. There is no place better equipped to contain these two individuals than right here.

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From what I've gathered, proper precautions were not taken in all instances. This is Africa we're talking about, and these people are coming to the United States. The USA is far from a perfect country, but we do tend to have the best toys and excellent technical abilities. There is no place better equipped to contain these two individuals than right here.

How did you gather that?

I disagree, I wouldn't want to be piloting that plane. It seems to be spreading WAY too easily.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe that scientists are perfect. They are human and can be careless and make mistakes. I think that science is the new religion in today's post-Christian world, and the scientists are treated as if they are gods who can never be wrong and can never make a mistake. Anyone who suggests that science and scientists are imperfect is treated as a heretic.

Precisely because people and processes are imperfect, we build fail safes into our procedures. Do you know why there haven't been any Americans killed by acute radiation exposure at any of our civilian nuclear power stations? People make mistakes, there is negligence and complacency all around us. There are also good minds at work on FMEAs setting up redundancies that keep risk to a quantifiable, acceptable level. We have Smallpox. And Sarin. And Anthrax. And VX. And Ebola. Lots of Ebola. We're pretty darned good at preventing leaks and outbreaks when we know where the dangerous stuff is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The start of the walking dead, the apocalypse begins

The-Walking-Dead-Companion-TV-Show-Series-Announced.jpg

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This is the most moronic and beyond-the-pale-of-stupidity that the CDC could have done! You do NOT remove the infected from Quarintine --- you do not breach quartine; one of the basic laws of plague/disease containment . . . :eek:

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is the most moronic and beyond-the-pale-of-stupidity that the CDC could have done! You do NOT remove the infected from Quarintine --- you do not breach quartine; one of the basic laws of plague/disease containment . . . :eek:
I'm amazed at the ones who are responding in this thread as if this is no big deal.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟70,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When I was young America did big things, thought big thoughts and took on tasks that were hard, because the were hard.

Then along come the '80 and something happened.

We suddenly started to slowly drop out of the big thoughts, big things, hard tasks business and started doing things just because of money.

Now we've reduced to this cowering, wimpy, scared or our own shadow parody of ourselves.

We bring back our own aid workers because, you know, we're not the kind of people who leave our warriors behind on the battlefield (or at least we used to be).

And everyone is scared, complaining, whiny.

25 years ago when my wife graduated from nursing school her first job was working with AIDS patients. Back in those days people were still thinking you could get AIDS for a mosquito bite.

I was proud.

Why.

Because that's the country we used to be.

Shame on all of us.

Reactions: Cute Tink
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When I was young America did big things, thought big thoughts and took on tasks that were hard, because the were hard.
The risk in doing big things such as landing someone on the moon didn't involve putting the whole country in danger. The astronauts only put their own lives at risk in that mission. But did you see the update on this? Now the CDC chief is saying that it's 'inevitable' that America will have an Ebola outbreak. Do you believe this is worth it for trying to prove that we aren't afraid of anything?

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The CDC chief did not say that it is inevitable because we're bringing these people here for treatment. If the virus can effectively spread in our climate with our genetics and our sanitary practices then it will. Every day, thousands of Americans land in foreign airports where they mingle with millions of other travelers. Our world is very small today, we cannot effectively quarantine continents.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟70,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The risk in doing big things such as landing someone on the moon didn't involve putting the whole country in danger. The astronauts only put their own lives at risk in that mission. But did you see the update on this? Now the CDC chief is saying that it's 'inevitable' that America will have an Ebola outbreak. Do you believe this is worth it for trying to prove that we aren't afraid of anything?

Please, LWU, don't try to live up to every expectation I have of you .

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟70,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's certainly a non-response if there ever was one.

Well, it's the only one you're going to get.

I stand up for courageous American aid workers who've been fallen sick.

I stand up for the American values the refuse to let them die in a foreign land when we can bring them back and cure them

I'd consider an honor to fall sick rendering care to fellow American who selflessly went overseas to help people who cannot help themselves

And if that costs me my life, so be it.

If you're so paralyzed by fear that you'd rather abandon your own values and these fine American professionals

Well, I pity you.

But not enough to actually address your view on the subject.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

Oct 14, 2003
✟70,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Courage is when you are willing to sacrifice yourself. It's not when you are willing to sacrifice others.

Correct

WHICH IS WHY WE BRING OUR SICK AND WOUNDED BACK WITH US.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Correct

WHICH IS WHY WE BRING OUR SICK AND WOUNDED BACK WITH US.

but the sick and wounded are only moved for two purposes...
1. moved from the field of battle to a MASH unit to recieve emergency treatment.
2. moved again when stabilized for recouperation.

it's the second part--when stabilized-- that is in question here.

and in case you're wondering, let's do the math:

1,700 cases of Ebola so far reported here in OBOB
of those 932 died from Ebola,
which leaves 768 who are still alive.

now if my math is right (somebody check, please :) )
that leaves us with a 54% kill rate, 46% survival rate in the native countries.

Let's pray that those figures get better with time.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The World Health Organisation has the mortality rate of Ebola at up to 90%. That is not something anyone ought to mess around with at all as if it were just the Flu . . .

Source: WHO | Ebola virus disease

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Virgil the Roman said:
...as if it were just the Flu . . .
Known deaths in the last century from Ebola - a few thousand.
Known deaths in the last century from flu - somewhere between 20 and 100 million.

No, I guess not.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Known deaths in the last century from Ebola - a few thousand.
Known deaths in the last century from flu - somewhere between 20 and 100 million.

No, I guess not.
He was talking about the death rate in proportion to the people who get the disease. Lot's of people get the flu and survive. But Ebola is almost a guaranteed death.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe they should be brought home but treated by an American team there. However they are to come home. If I was there and contracted ebola, I would refuse to come home and would renounce my citizenship. I would not want to even remotely bring ebola here. May God help us all and those who have ebolb.

Renounce your citizenship? Why?

Upvote 0