Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have a conflict between matthew 5:47 versus 2 john 1:10.
Should I greet sinners that do not repent and are deeply corrupted, I mean deeply or not? I dissmiss the hangout thing that people say about Jesus. Jesus didn't hangout. He had a mission.
So should I ignore people I even know that are not my real friends and probably talk behind my back as they do with others? Even neighbours? Or should I greet them as opposed to what the pagans did, that only greeted their own? These people are not interested in salvation. I even gave a Bible to one of them. But I continue to greet them but do not like to be with them because of their conversations.

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
In the early church people met in houses. I *think* 2 John is referring to accepting people bringing messages to church meetings. The passage is about false teaching, so it's about people teaching. Matthew is about our interactions with people in general.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Should I greet sinners that do not repent and are deeply corrupted, I mean deeply or not? I dissmiss the hangout thing that people say about Jesus. Jesus didn't hangout. He had a mission.
So should I ignore people I even know that are not my real friends and probably talk behind my back as they do with others? Even neighbours? Or should I greet them as opposed to what the pagans did, that only greeted their own? These people are not interested in salvation. I even gave a Bible to one of them. But I continue to greet them but do not like to be with them because of their conversations.
I do not walk around a store greeting everyone I meet. I am not a store greeter. When I was walking for exercise on a street and passed by someone else doing the same, there were sometimes exchanges of "Good morning." Other people say nothing when greeted. Jesus ate with tax collectors and sinners. Some like Matthew might have repented because of it. Jesus had Nicodemus as a chief priest friend, but generally he did not go out of his way to invite chief priests to social events as they were plotting to arrest him. Greeting someone in passing may be a good idea. I remember once Jesus instructed his disciples who were sent out to preach in the towns and villages to speak to no one along the way (Luke 10:4). It must be dependent on the mission and circumstances. If I treat people like they are friends instead of foes, they might trust me more than if I accuse them of being the enemy.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In the early church people met in houses. I *think* 2 John is referring to accepting people bringing messages to church meetings. The passage is about false teaching, so it's about people teaching. Matthew is about dealings with people in general.

What about minggling with unrepented sinners that probably will not repent nor take advice to correct their ways? In my opinion we should greet everyone despite who they are as I pointed in that mathew verse. But I feel unease minggling with people that covet women loudly sitting at coffee shops, or more approprieatly cafes. Should I continue to greet them as in the past but refrain to hang out with them?

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
First off, you do not need to put yourself in the way of abuse from others. If you have decided that you do not feel well in their company, you should listen to your gut instinct.

I think it would depend on how open they are to receiving your Christian worldviews. There's no reason to be discourteous to anyone until they give you a reason to be, at which time it's probably best to separate from their company. If they are particularly vehement toward the Gospel and its teachings, then it's best to stay away. 2 Corinthians 6:14-18

The practice of gossiping is ungodly and condemned in the Bible on numerous occasions, and those who habitually gossip will be judged severely:

32 Top Bible Verses About Gossip - Be Encouraged!

We all live in this world and it's okay to be around others who believe differently. It gives you the opportunity to make a good impression and lead others toward Christ's message. There are many decent, well-intentioned people outside of the faith who simply haven't been exposed to His Word properly.

As the Body of Christ, we are each capable of playing a role in sowing seeds of the faith in others around us. But this doesn't mean we must force ourselves to evangelize to those who are not interested. Blessings and be safe in His name!

Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I do not walk around a store greeting everyone I meet. I am not a store greeter. When I was walking for exercise on a street and passed by someone else doing the same, there were sometimes exchanges of "Good morning." Other people say nothing when greeted. Jesus ate with tax collectors and sinners. Some like Matthew might have repented because of it. Jesus had Nicodemus as a chief priest friend, but generally he did not go out of his way to invite chief priests to social events as they were plotting to arrest him. Greeting someone in passing may be a good idea. I remember once Jesus instructed his disciples who were sent out to preach in the towns and villages to speak to no one along the way (Luke 10:4). It must be dependent on the mission and circumstances. If I treat people like they are friends instead of foes, they might trust me more than if I accuse them of being the enemy.

You got a point.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What about minggling with unrepented sinners that probably will not repent nor take advice to correct their ways? In my opinion we should greet everyone despite who they are as I pointed in that mathew verse. But I feel unease minggling with people that covet women loudly sitting at coffee shops, or more approprieatly cafes. Should I continue to greet them as in the past but refrain to hang out with them?
That's what Mat 5:47 is about. That doesn't mean you have to be close friends with everyone, or do anything that might encourage you to do things you think are wrong. It seems like what you suggest here is reasonable.

Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
First off, you do not need to put yourself in the way of abuse from others. If you have decided that you do not feel well in their company, you should listen to your gut instinct.

I think it would depend on how open they are to receiving your Christian worldviews. There's no reason to be discourteous to anyone until they give you a reason to be, at which time it's probably best to separate from their company. If they are particularly vehement toward the Gospel and its teachings, then it's best to stay away. 2 Corinthians 6:14-18

The practice of gossiping is ungodly and condemned in the Bible on numerous occasions, and those who habitually gossip will be judged severely:

32 Top Bible Verses About Gossip - Be Encouraged!

We all live in this world and it's okay to be around others who believe differently. It gives you the opportunity to make a good impression and lead others toward Christ's message. There are many decent, well-intentioned people outside of the faith who simply haven't been exposed to His Word properly.

As the Body of Christ, we are each capable of playing a role in sowing seeds of the faith in others around us. But this doesn't mean we must force ourselves to evangelize to those who are not interested. Blessings and be safe in His name!

Thank you.

• Prayers
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

Lord'sWarrior

Jan 14, 2017
Resi
✟24,557.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That's what Mat 5:47 is about. That doesn't mean you have to be close friends with everyone, or do anything that might encourage you to do things you think are wrong. It seems like what you suggest here is reasonable.

Ok. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Always read the context of a verse you have problems with and also use a modern English translation as words have changed some of there meanings since the 16 century.
The two passage read:-
matt 5. 43 "You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
and
2John 1 7.I say this because many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist. 8 Watch out that you do not lose what we.
have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully. 9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take them into your house or welcome them. 11 Anyone who welcomes them shares in their wicked work

They are talking about two totaly different situations.
Matt is talking about showing love to everyone, particularly those who hate you, while 2John is talking about false preachers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

(Hedrick in post #2 answered the central question, but this part about Luke chapter 10 was interesting to consider)

You made me look up Luke chapter 10, which is great, and I've read Luke more than 4 times, but you made me look it up. Now, we see the context, there -- go and do this mission. So, 'greet no one along the way' from the context seems to be entirely this = do not get diverted but go and accomplish this mission itself, and not a side track of some sort.

That situation isn't our own. We are to "love your neighbor as yourself", and that means, clearly, that we are to be well disposed and generally friendly towards our neighbors. We don't just walk past them ignoring them in a way that we ourselves wouldn't want given a certain situation where we would want to be greeted, like for me if I'm not on the phone and not intently talking intently to someone or some other such intent activity already, etc.... In a grocery store what I myself want from others is normally just politeness and occasionally consideration like allowing me to pass, and doing that with a friendly attitude, and such.

It's the golden rule -- "So in everything, do to others as you would have them do to you"

The exception would be you are on a mission which itself is of critical importance, and where you do not have time to get side tracked or even a brief conversation. But the only mission up at *that* level is often one from above and or someone is in a situation where they need you seriously right now, no delay, not just an everyday triviality like you want to pick up milk at the store.... We ourselves don't have a time sensitive mission from above often, and we very much have time to be friendly towards others, even to be diverted by them on a neighborhood sidewalk (especially), but even in a store sometimes, talking with them as chance might have. That's *our mission* very often. It's a command to us. But if across the street someone falls down suddenly, you will stop the conversation and help them as needed....

Last edited:
Upvote 0