Matthew 23:9 is it a Blow / Bashing Against Catholics...?

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟608,978.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm. Who is it that refers to others outside their fold as "ecclesial communities" and cannot bring itself to honor them as churches? Who is it that maintains to this very moment that it and it alone is the One, True Church?
I think you are a little harsh. The word Ecclesia - meaning called out - is often translated in English as Church, and is the root of words like Ecclesiastical. To speak of ecclesial communities is the same as saying church communities.

I seem to recall that Francis I in recent history addressing +Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury said 'Our division is a scandal and a shame'.

If we are ever to be reconciled we must allow one another room to move, and we must allow ourselves room to move. We have a choice, to build bridges or walls.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,639.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It may be Biblically accurate though ?
"Come out" is an instruction to some believers.
So these believers would be "separated", right?

The command is to come out from the world (unbelievers) not believers. Therefore, they cannot be separated brethren if, in fact, they were never brethren.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The command is to come out from the world (unbelievers) not believers. Therefore, they cannot be separated brethren if, in fact, they were never brethren.
No, or yes, ? come out of the world, OR (and?) come out of the false, anything false.....

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,639.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think you are a little harsh. The word Ecclesia - meaning called out - is often translated in English as Church, and is the root of words like Ecclesiastical. To speak of ecclesial communities is the same as saying church communities.

I seem to recall that Francis I in recent history addressing +Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury said 'Our division is a scandal and a shame'.

If we are ever to be reconciled we must allow one another room to move, and we must allow ourselves room to move. We have a choice, to build bridges or walls.

I see no particular need to build either bridges or walls. I confess that I really ought to be spreading the gospel to those who are not Christians in any sense of the word. The world has untold billions of people who have never heard the name of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,639.00
Faith
Non-Denom
No, or yes, ? come out of the world, OR (and?) come out of the false, anything false.....

Both, as you know. Can we call a person who embraces falsehood a true Christian? If so, they are our brother and we are called to unity with our brothers, not separation.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Both, as you know. Can we call a person who embraces falsehood a true Christian? If so, they are our brother and we are called to unity with our brothers, not separation.
No. YHWH calls us to separate from falsehood teachers and entities, no matter where they are.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Agreed. Thus, we cannot call these people "separated brethren".
(for clarity) Those who are separated from wickedness, from babylon,
and are born again, immersed in Jesus' Name, set apart by Yahweh for Himself as He Says,
they are God's brethren, whether called "separated brethren " or not.

Upvote 0

HisBody

Oct 12, 2017
California
✟10,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The 4th commandment was about one's paternal father. Matthew 23:9 is about not calling others your spiritual fathers. The contexts are different.
Really??

- Jesus said, “Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.” (John 8:56).
- St. Stephen refers to "our father Abraham," (Acts 7:2).
- St. Paul speaks of "our father Isaac” (Romans 9:10).
- For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel" (1 Cor. 4:14–15).
- (1 Pet. 3:15) "She who is in Babylon, chosen together with you, sends you her greetings, and so does my son Mark."

ALL
of these verses speak to "spiritual" Fathers.

Upvote 0

HisBody

Oct 12, 2017
California
✟10,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but they do break this commandment in a sense, because they do address priests using titles of distinction. This was what Jesus was warning against, and why He gave the commandment not to.
Wrong.

He is telling us that no man is to be considered father above our Father in heaven and no person is to be considered teacher above our Teacher in heaven.

Jesus was speaking about the Scribes and Pharisees who exalted themselves before all: “They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues, greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation 'Rabbi.”(Matt 23:6-7)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums