Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ah yes. I'd forgotten the job they did on Roy Moore, but did remember it used on Herman Cain, Judge Kavanaugh, Clarence Thomas, and others.
Sure, also Clinton, John Edwards, Al Franken, Anthony Weiner, Jon Conyers and Katie Hill.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sure, also Clinton, John Edwards, Al Franken, Anthony Weiner, Jon Conyers and Katie Hill.
Sure, but you overlooked one big difference, which is why the charges were brought against the people we've mentioned.

It's a tactic used by one political party to derail a nominee of the other party and almost always comes to nothing, factually speaking. That's not the case with all the names you offered us or, for that matter, with Cuomo whose job needs saving with some distraction or other.

EDIT: Compare the names of those denounced by each side. The Republican names are of people who were close to winning some appointment or whose electoral district could have been flipped to the other party if they were eliminated. That's why they were targeted. It's not the case with the Democrats named by our friend in his post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sure, but you overlooked one big difference, which is why the charges were brought against the people we've mentioned.

It's a tactic used by one political party to derail a nominee of the other party and almost always comes to nothing, factually speaking. That's not the case with all the names you offered us or, for that matter, with Cuomo whose job needs saving with some distraction or other.
All republicans are innocent and all democrats guilty.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Don't forget Cuomo, currently in production.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟298,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Cain, Kavanaugh, Thomas, Moore: Don't recall any charges against any of them.

Nor for Clinton, Conyers, Hill, or Franken.

Wiener got charges, but Edwards was only charged for campaign finance crimes.

I'm not sure which group you think was charged, but it doesn't look like either group was as a whole.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Cain, Kavanaugh, Thomas, Moore: Don't recall any charges against any of them.

Nor for Clinton, Conyers, Hill, or Franken.
I wasn't referring to legal action being brought but only of them being "charged" with having done something, denounced, i.e. accused.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just to highlight the weird cartoonishness of this situation:

- Gaetz claims that he and his family were cooperating with the FBI as part of an ongoing sting operation, which he has apparently totally blown by, y'know, talking about it on national TV. Either that or he made it up.

- He made a point of denying the existence of any photos of himself with child prostitutes. Which is odd because no one has said anything about there being photos of Matt Gaetz with child prostitutes.

- He tried to rope in Tucker Carlson as a witness. It's hard to parse exactly what he meant because things got a bit disjointed in the interview, but he appears to be saying saying that Tucker met the supposedly underage girl at a dinner a few years ago, with the implication that she wasn't actually underage. I may be misunderstanding the exact meaning, but this may be an attempt at the "Look at her, there's no way she's under 18!" defense. At any rate, Tucker claims no recollection of this encounter.

- As already pointed out, he's literally the only member of Congress - House or Senate - to vote against a human trafficking bill. His excuse? Federal overreach.

What seems to be the most likely scenario is that one of Gaetz's many ex-girlfriends was under 18 when they dated. Perhaps he knew, perhaps he didn't. As he pointed out, he's been very generous with his girlfriends and paid for flights, hotels, etc - which would qualify as human trafficking should the girl be underage.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
LINK

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Rep. Matt Gaetz’s father, Don, a former Florida Senate president, said he is working with the FBI, including wearing a wire on more than one occasion as part of an investigation into an alleged extortion plot that the pair said was organized by former federal prosecutor David McGee.

(Note that this, whether true or false, has very little bearing on the OP's question of "Did he do it?")

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

whistles innocently and leaves this here

fark_7wU44ai7XIlDWQem5SmDvRpCCDM.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
LINK

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Rep. Matt Gaetz’s father, Don, a former Florida Senate president, said he is working with the FBI, including wearing a wire on more than one occasion as part of an investigation into an alleged extortion plot that the pair said was organized by former federal prosecutor David McGee.

(Note that this, whether true or false, has very little bearing on the OP's question of "Did he do it?")

It's gonna be really interesting to see which way this shakes out. There's not much room for either side to back down and claim they were misquoted or somehow didn't mean what they said.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟298,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I wasn't referring to legal action being brought but only of them being "charged" with having done something, denounced, i.e. accused.

Sounds like there is a lot of that going around on this topic (sex) from all sides as there always has been.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟242,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
LINK

I absolutely noted that. He's trying to frame it as if the extortion allegation somehow proves his innocence. The investigation was started last year under William Barr's DOJ. It's very likely that Trump new about it too.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟319,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's gonna be really interesting to see which way this shakes out. There's not much room for either side to back down and claim they were misquoted or somehow didn't mean what they said.
Well, so far we've only really heard Gaetz's side of things. The claims that he's made are very specific and pretty damning, and I feel like, if he's lying, there's a pretty solid case for libel. McGee has only denied the accusations. But at the same time, it seems preposterous that a former federal prosecutor would think that it would be a good idea to try to blackmail arguably one of the most influential congressmen in the Republican caucus. I supposed dumber things have happened though.

Upvote 0