The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It's always a bit dangerous to use passages to answer questions they weren't originally intended to address. This passage talks about how people will be judged, not what punishment is going to be like.

The answer it gives may not be quite what you're used to. Based on the Jewish background and Matthew's wording elsewhere, many interpreters think the little ones are actually references to Christians. That is, this passage says that the "nations" will be judged based on how they treat Christians. Apparently this was the universal understanding until the 19th Cent, when the current understanding began to develop. Calvin speaks of the passage in general as commending charity, but when he does detailed exegesis, he sees the reference specifically to Christian brethren, and says that we should be more concerned about them than others.

The idea that we'll be judged on how we treat the helpless has good support in both the Prophets and Jesus' teaching, so I have no problem with a wider understanding. But it may well not be what Matthew was thinking of when he wrote this.
Thank you Hedrick. This thread is moving so fast and wrong IMO, it was hard for me to even decide just where to jump in again, while still trying to just 'catch up'. But this point has now been missed for 77 posts. I had actually decided I would make others aware when, I come here to the threads end to post and....here you are, at the end of my 'catching up'. :oldthumbsup:

Now the question is, in those GOAT nations, there are absolutely NO CHRISTIANS who will suffer in the judgment of the nations they live in right? Or wrong? I know of no country where all the believers there even live in some common area apart from the masses, as the Jews in Egypt who were saved by the plagues. And here in Matt 25 it isn't plagues anyway it is ETERNAL PUNISHMENT 'for the "NATIONS". Sounds like a HELL of a time to be a Christian IMO. :doh: Biblicaly it just appears Christians will have to suffer for the crimes of their countries. Countries where Christians might even be in government secretly....but no reprieve for them is offered in the judgment of Matt 25 either, so "eternal punishment" to them too, just for breaking even ONE of those 5 causes spelled out clearly in the chapter. I think the slippery slide has been well revealed to those who have eyes to see the implications of 'nominal' thinking here.

Again, as I ended my #20 post;
"Hmmm is there more depth to this eternal fire sentence than is commonly seen....especially by THE CHURCH?" :idea:

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It's always a bit dangerous to use passages to answer questions they weren't originally intended to address. This passage talks about how people will be judged, not what punishment is going to be like.
Dear Hedrick: Perhaps my old eyes are failing me along with the rest of F.L. Can you show us from the passage under consideration where the Master speaks of "how people will be judged"?

Do you agree with Jesus Christ regarding the 5 qualifications "for "everlasting punishment"? Do you know what aionios kolasis is, and how it applies?

Do you agree with Jesus Christ regarding the 5 qualifications "for "everlasting punishment"? Do you know what aionios kolasis is, and how it applies?

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you Hedrick. This thread is moving so fast and wrong IMO, it was hard for me to even decide just where to jump in again, while still trying to just 'catch up'. But this point has now been missed for 77 posts. I had actually decided I would make others aware when, I come here to the threads end to post and....here you are, at the end of my 'catching up'. :oldthumbsup:

Now the question is, in those GOAT nations, there are absolutely NO CHRISTIANS who will suffer in the judgment of the nations they live in right? Or wrong? I know of no country where all the believers there even live in some common area apart from the masses, as the Jews in Egypt who were saved by the plagues. And here in Matt 25 it isn't plagues anyway it is ETERNAL PUNISHMENT 'for the "NATIONS". Sounds like a HELL of a time to be a Christian IMO. :doh: Biblicaly it just appears Christians will have to suffer for the crimes of their countries. Countries where Christians might even be in government secretly....but no reprieve for them is offered in the judgment of Matt 25 either, so "eternal punishment" to them too, just for breaking even ONE of those 5 causes spelled out clearly in the chapter. I think the slippery slide has been well revealed to those who have eyes to see the implications of 'nominal' thinking here.

Again, as I ended my #20 post;
"Hmmm is there more depth to this eternal fire sentence than is commonly seen....especially by THE CHURCH?" :idea:

Bump

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hell (Hades) has one purpose: To hold sinners until His final judgment is rendered while their punishment ensues.

God's eternal punishment for sinners in the Lake of Fire has one purpose: To punish their sin for eternity. There is no other opportunity for "change" since the opportunity for one's repentance and salvation ended when they died and entered eternity. (Scriptures available upon request).

Dear Kris: There appears to be a desire to punish sinners in the Lake of Pur "for all eternity", can you define the difference between our God the consuming pur/fire & the Lake of pur?

On second thought, avoid the question and let's stay with the O.P.'s

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
yes to the first. I think given the OT background of eternal fire and eternal destruction that in many cases clearly don't go on forever, it's far from clear that eternal punishment is everlasting torment.

As I read it, Paul is pretty clearly universalist. Matthew may well believe in eternal torment. Neither Mark nor Luke place the same emphasis on punishment that Matthew does, and their quotations from Jesus use a variety of images, most less explicit than some of Matthew's. I put them in the middle.

Jesus clearly taught accountability for our actions. He also taught there were would be varying degrees of reward and punishment. I don't think it's certain where he goes on the spectrum between eventual forgiveness for all and eternal punishment. My guess: in the middle somewhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In preparation for this foundational verse of everlasting punishment we will consider a couple of questions.

Questions

1. Would not endless punishment be the return of evil for evil?

2. As we are commanded "to overcome evil with good," may we not safely infer that God will do the same? (Rom. 12:21)

3. Would the infliction of endless punishment be overcoming evil with good?

4. If God hates the sinner, does the sinner do wrong in hating Him?

5. Is God a changeable being? (James 1:17)

6. If God loves His enemies now, will he not always love them?

7. Is it just for God to be "kind to the evil and unthankful," in their present life? (Luke 6:35)

8. Would it be unjust for God to be kind to all men in a future state?

9. If all men justly deserve endless punishment, will not those who are saved, be saved unjustly?

10. If God "will by no means clear the guilty," by what means can just punishment be evaded? (Ex. 34:7)

11. As no man can measure endless punishment to his neighbor, will endless punishment be measured to him? (Luke 4:38)

12. Would it be merciful in God to inflict endless punishment? -- that is, merciful to the sufferer?

13. Can that be just which is not merciful?

14. Do not cruelty and injustice go hand in hand?

15. Can that be merciful which is not just?

-A. C. Thomas-
1. No, because all born into this world are worthy of hell because we're rebellious sinners like Adam and Eve became.
2. He does big time for believers, but sadly not for unbelievers who refuse to submit to him.
3. No, God is a just Judge who must punish unrepentant sin.
4. No, God as Creator loves all his human creatures, who turn away from him unless he turns them back.
5. No, he isn't changeable, but he does apply his love instead of his justice when we accept him.
6. God loves his enemies as his created humans, but as their just Judge, he must punish sins.
7. God is both just toward humans and loving toward them. When they fail to repent, he has to be just.
8. You ask questions that try to figure out God's mercy and justice. He is both. If they all repent and follow him through faith in Jesus, he would be kind to them by forgiving them.
9. No, they would be saved lovingly.
10. By the means of Jesus' death on the cross, of course.
11. Of course, by God, who is the source of eternal punishment by his justice, and who is the source of eternal joy by his love.
12. No, we all earn endless punishment except for God's mercy through Jesus' accomplishment on the cross.
13. They're two distinct qualities in God that he exercises perfectly.
14. No, not with God.
15. We can't determine mercy and justice in human terms, only as God reveals them in the Bible.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Now the question is, in those GOAT nations, there are absolutely NO CHRISTIANS who will suffer in the judgment of the nations they live in right? Or wrong?
The same commentary that's strongest on saying that the reference is to how people treat Christians also said that for Matthew everyone, Christian and non-Christian, would be judged the same.

However I’m reluctant to place too much weight on this passage, for reasons that might best be separated. (I doubt that it actually goes back to Jesus.)

But even without this passage I think most of Jesus’ warnings were aimed at Christians. He doesn’t attack idolatry or show any other sign of aiming warnings at non-Jews. Christians, of course, didn't exist during his lifetime, but I don't see much that could reasonably be directed at non-Christians.

As I’ve noted before, he seemed to envision not just heaven and hell, but a variety of degrees of both reward and punishment. I understand that and 1 Cor 3:12ff as implying that Christians will in fact be judged for not obeying Jesus. Not sent to hell, of course (if there is a hell), because he has promised that any one who depends upon him will be saved. I think it’s possible that the weeping and gnashing of teeth is actually Christians being upset at themselves for not having done better. (Oddly, I first ran into this idea in a book by Charles Stanley, the well-known S Baptist leader.)

I don’t think we’ll be judged for the failures of our nations, except to the extent that we contributed to them, or failed to help deal with them. But Christians often do share the same weaknesses as the non-Christians with whom they live, and they also often do contribute to those failures. In the US, I actually think Christians are on average at least as bad a non-Christians.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You are equating human retaliation with just and legal punishment. Instead of, “I’m going to make you pay!” It’s more like, “If you do the crime you do the time.”
Your user icon says ABSOLUTLE PREDESTINARIAN....so am I. :) But my God, in his omniscience of ALL and predestination of ALL, isn't going to predestine SOME so we can watch ETERNAL PUNISHMENT of MOST. IOW, Those who never had the 'first chance' we were given. Seems sad that few have eyes to see the simplicity of this truth.

No, you may not safely assume God will do what you’d like. Our point of view is finite.
but our ignorance is equally temporal in its judgments IMO. Since we have that "glass dimly" thing working mightily since the beginning of the great apostasy in those not as 'Holy Spirit' led as they were....some other spirit. :eek:

Yes, God is angry with the wicked every day (Psalm 7.11) and hates the violent one (Psalm 11.5). God’s anger is kindled against the evil doer and just like in the case of Eli’s house it shall not be cleasned with sacrifice or offering…forever. (Deut. 31.17)
I agree, and He also dealt with Sodom and Gomorrah to prove a TEMPORAL POINT in His AIDIOS plan. A point which becomes more clear to those with eyes to see more predestination in His plan of the 'ages to come' judgment, where Sodom and Gomorrah fair better than 'the promised land'. :idea:

MAT 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent out, charging them, "Go nowhere among the Gentiles, and enter no town of the Samaritans, 6 but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.......15 Truly, I say to you, it shall be more tolerable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town (in Israel). IOW an apparent hell of a day for Jews too.

So much for the blessing of being the 'Predestined' CHOSEN PEOPLE of Israel....huh JM?

God gave them up and made them unresponsive to the Gospel (Psalm 81.11-12) and even sent Isaiah to harden their hearts. (chp. 6) God owes us nothing. God closed the eye of those He will punish. (Isaiah 29.9-12)
And God is just going to laugh at his sinful saints here on earth in that day when He eternally tortures in burning hell those whom He shut up in "unresponsiveness to the Gospel".....or GOOD NEWS of God FOR "PEACE ON EARTH AND GOOD WILL TOWARD a few MEN."

I'm just going to stop. This post is long enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some things you ask say.. are found clearly written. Some other things you say are not in the word. Or you just worded it wrong :)

Every lasting punishment. Kind of silly to talk about this. Well were talking about things we will have no say in other then judging angels. I can only look at this as man and then Gods word. Jesus said if you were blind you would have no sin. You say you see your sin remains. I see Satan since he fell no matter what happens is free to do anything. Yet some believers will have you believe that MAN thats never seen Satan, fallen angels or demons or heaven and God , Jesus, countless angels. Only has this BOOK is being told (forgive me Father) are going to burn if you don't know Jesus. A truth for sure!

Is that really how its going to go down? When Jesus ask those about the least of them you did it to me. Those are the people He gathers from the nations when He returns and sets foot on the earth. And to some He says "I NEVER knew you". So how long you know Him? You think He still doesn't know you? Or are we pulling GOD down to mans level when we THINK we always knew someone and we never did. Is that what this GOD is doing? He never lies. He says "I NEVER knew you". I can't speak for you but I know He KNOWS me. So He would have to lie to say He never knew me. That NAME "Yeshua/Jesus" works no matter who uses it.

Upvote 0

williemac

Aug 31, 2016
Kamloops, BC Canada
✟8,478.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Everlasting punishment? Two observations; first one is that the punishment is forever. The second one is that the phrase does not tell us what the nature of the punishment is. So, here we can see that people seem to be making assumptions from the phrase. What is the punishment for sin? Death. Math.10:28 says do not fear those who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But fear Him who is able to destroy both body and soul in hell. The word for hell in the original language is Gehenna, not Hades. It was a place in Jesus' day where garbage was taken to be burned and destroyed. The word was meant to represent the Lake of Fire, the second death. So, in the first death, the soul does not die, but just the body. Men can kill our body but not our soul, so we are advised to not fear men. But if God can't kill the soul, we would also not fear Him either, right? But we are told to fear Him (reverent respect). He must be therefore, able to kill the soul. And we are told the soul will be destroyed, along with the body. So, that is the nature of the punishment. Therefore, everlasting death is in fact everlasting punishment. There is no indication from those two words that anyone is experiencing everlasting conscious torment. In fact, Jesus gives us two possible alternatives in John 3:16; perish, or everlasting life. If one is conscious, one is alive. Perish cannot mean to be alive. If it does, then BOTH alternatives are everlasting life. We can also see this in John 6:50,51. Jesus there, also gives two possible fates; to live forever or to die. They cannot be the same. But some will say that there definitely is torment in scripture. Yes, in the first death, the body dies and the soul goes to either be with the Lord or to be alive in Hades. As well, three beings are said to be tormented day and night forever, whatever that may mean. But only the three are mentioned, and likely are not of Adam. At any rate, the passages I have shared mean what they mean. They cannot be overturned by other scriptures. Other scriptures can be explained.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
9. If all men justly deserve endless punishment, will not those who are saved, be saved unjustly?
This question from the OP really captured my attention.

If endless punishment is the wages of sin, did Jesus somehow pay this for those of us who are saved? I don't see how.

If a "lost" person was allowed to choose between paying the same price Jesus paid, or eternal torment, which do we suppose they would choose? Why are the so-called "lost" required to pay a price seemingly greater than their sin?

If the atonement was sufficient, why would something GREATER be required of those not covered by it? Is that just?

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
1. No, because all born into this world are worthy of hell because we're rebellious sinners like Adam and Eve became.
2. He does big time for believers, but sadly not for unbelievers who refuse to submit to him.
3. No, God is a just Judge who must punish unrepentant sin.
4. No, God as Creator loves all his human creatures, who turn away from him unless he turns them back.
5. No, he isn't changeable, but he does apply his love instead of his justice when we accept him.
6. God loves his enemies as his created humans, but as their just Judge, he must punish sins.
7. God is both just toward humans and loving toward them. When they fail to repent, he has to be just.
8. You ask questions that try to figure out God's mercy and justice. He is both. If they all repent and follow him through faith in Jesus, he would be kind to them by forgiving them.
9. No, they would be saved lovingly.
10. By the means of Jesus' death on the cross, of course.
11. Of course, by God, who is the source of eternal punishment by his justice, and who is the source of eternal joy by his love.
12. No, we all earn endless punishment except for God's mercy through Jesus' accomplishment on the cross.
13. They're two distinct qualities in God that he exercises perfectly.
14. No, not with God.
15. We can't determine mercy and justice in human terms, only as God reveals them in the Bible.

Dear Bruce: We are indeed rebellious sinners, NOT by any choice of our own, we were born that way from day1. A.& E sinned by direct choice, we my friend, were in this position "not by any choice of our own!

Let's review the equation in case you missed it>>>>

Many = many

Polus= polus

Many "made sinners">>>Many "made righteous".

"For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous."

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Everlasting punishment? Two observations; first one is that the punishment is forever. The second one is that the phrase does not tell us what the nature of the punishment is. So, here we can see that people seem to be making assumptions from the phrase. What is the punishment for sin? Death. Math.10:28 says do not fear those who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But fear Him who is able to destroy both body and soul in hell. The word for hell in the original language is Gehenna, not Hades. It was a place in Jesus' day where garbage was taken to be burned and destroyed. The word was meant to represent the Lake of Fire, the second death. So, in the first death, the soul does not die, but just the body. Men can kill our body but not our soul, so we are advised to not fear men. But if God can't kill the soul, we would also not fear Him either, right? But we are told to fear Him (reverent respect). He must be therefore, able to kill the soul. And we are told the soul will be destroyed, along with the body. So, that is the nature of the punishment. Therefore, everlasting death is in fact everlasting punishment. There is no indication from those two words that anyone is experiencing everlasting conscious torment. In fact, Jesus gives us two possible alternatives in John 3:16; perish, or everlasting life. If one is conscious, one is alive. Perish cannot mean to be alive. If it does, then BOTH alternatives are everlasting life. We can also see this in John 6:50,51. Jesus there, also gives two possible fates; to live forever or to die. They cannot be the same. But some will say that there definitely is torment in scripture. Yes, in the first death, the body dies and the soul goes to either be with the Lord or to be alive in Hades. As well, three beings are said to be tormented day and night forever, whatever that may mean. But only the three are mentioned, and likely are not of Adam. At any rate, the passages I have shared mean what they mean. They cannot be overturned by other scriptures. Other scriptures can be explained.

Dear Williemac:

Search= "everlasting punishment".

1 entry found. St. Matt. 25:46

Search= "everlasting death".

No entries found. _Please modify your query and try again.

And there shall be NO MORE death!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This question from the OP really captured my attention.

If endless punishment is the wages of sin, did Jesus somehow pay this for those of us who are saved? I don't see how.

If a "lost" person was allowed to choose between paying the same price Jesus paid, or eternal torment, which do we suppose they would choose? Why are the so-called "lost" required to pay a price seemingly greater than their sin?

If the atonement was sufficient, why would something GREATER be required of those not covered by it? Is that just?

Dear S.S.: Why indeed!

It is good seeing you again.

While this link has been going on today, F.L. has heard from an individual with hurt with a capital H. If any of us think for a nano second, the Master or reconciliation is punishing them with unending punishment, think again!

We worship the Father of all fathers, His Name is Abba!

• Friendly
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
12. Would it be merciful in God to inflict endless punishment? -- that is, merciful to the sufferer?
Another question from the OP that captured my attention.

Endless is pointless.

To what end (purpose) is endless punishment?

Endless has no purpose.

Is it not cruel to torture someone for no purpose? Blood sport. (sadistic cruelty)
We lock such individuals up. But with a purpose of rehabilitation.

Even humans have correctional facilities for prisons.
As unpleasant as they are, they have both a purpose and an end.
Would God be any less purposeful?

We have laws against cruel and unusual punishment, even against war crimes.
Would God inflict punishment worse than these? The mainstream church says, "Yes!"

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't believe that God's justice is mutually exclusive from mercy, but instead, cannot be separated from His mercy. His justice is restorative - not punitive, so I think that phrase needs closer examination ("everlasting punishment", I mean).
because it's contrasted with "everlasting life" whatever we do to one, we must do to the other

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
because it's contrasted with "everlasting life" whatever we do to one, we must do to the other

In fact Damian, aionios zoe is in the realm of quality, not simply duration. Guess what? Aionios kolasis is also a quality of punishment by the Father of all fathers!

This IS aionios zoe that we may know You...

b679f3863cfb9e56a5e3226af07372f01500e0c6.jpeg

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In preparation for this foundational verse of everlasting punishment we will consider a couple of questions.

Questions

2. As we are commanded "to overcome evil with good," may we not safely infer that God will do the same? (Rom. 12:21)

7. Is it just for God to be "kind to the evil and unthankful," in their present life? (Luke 6:35)

10. If God "will by no means clear the guilty," by what means can just punishment be evaded? (Ex. 34:7)

11. As no man can measure endless punishment to his neighbor, will endless punishment be measured to him? (Luke 4:38)

13. Can that be just which is not merciful?

15. Can that be merciful which is not just?

-A. C. Thomas-

Answers to your questions per my minuscule mind.

Though there are many positions on "hell" this position speaks of everlasting torment. If in fact we are resurrected into our bodies, one would assume that being thrown into a lake of fire would HURT. However, we do not know that. If we refer to Lazarus and the rich man, it would appear there is some suffering involved as the rich man suffered greatly for himself and his family. There is another way to look at this, The Father wants all to be saved and with Him. So a worse case scenario may be the way to get "the point across". Jesus died for everyone and the Father wants everyone to know that. So to answer your question, the knowledge of endless punishment is nothing compared to the loss of NOT knowing your GOD.

2. If in fact we are commanded "to overcome evil with good," may we not safely infer that God will do the same? (Rom. 12:21)
You are questioning God's right to lay judgment on those who reject Him. "Do not temp". (Just sayin)

Again, there are 4 views to hell. But who cares? Just do the will of the Father.

Wrong. God hates sin. Jesus Christ came specifically for sinners. Wow, you need to read scripture. God is on your side. He sent His Son to redeem man from sin as well as re-establish the relationship lost in the fall. Christ is our advocate. Lets not diminish His work on the cross.

God does not change.

Yes He will always love them, the problem is they HATE Him.

We are commanded to love one another, this is only accomplished thorough the power of the Holy Spirit that dwells in the believer. Have you received His Holy Spirit?

God is never unjust.

9. If all men justly deserve endless punishment, will not those who are saved, be saved unjustly? Your question has no basis. God is not unjust, He loves everyone and those who do not love Him will not ever see Him in the after life. Seems fair to me. Not you?

Ah, finally a reasonably easy question. Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth, who is the only one that has authority on earth. It can't be that difficult, however, I do understand that it is a challenge without the Helper.
Depends on your view of hell. No one knows for sure what happens to those who reject God.

12. Would it be merciful in God to inflict endless punishment? -- that is, merciful to the sufferer? I think you know the answer to that. God gave us mercy through His Son Jesus Christ of Nazareth. He paid YOUR sin. Punishment is never knowing who He is. Think about it. All these questions and you do not bother to know Him. Huh.

13. Can that be just which is not merciful? Just and mercy are two different things.

Yes however, there is always someone, some entity, some organization, some thing that protects, indites, judges and convicts. You should know that.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Answers to your questions per my minuscule mind.

Though there are many positions on "hell" this position speaks of everlasting torment. If in fact we are resurrected into our bodies, one would assume that being thrown into a lake of fire would HURT. However, we do not know that. If we refer to Lazarus and the rich man, it would appear there is some suffering involved as the rich man suffered greatly for himself and his family. There is another way to look at this, The Father wants all to be saved and with Him. So a worse case scenario may be the way to get "the point across". Jesus died for everyone and the Father wants everyone to know that. So to answer your question, the knowledge of endless punishment is nothing compared to the loss of NOT knowing your GOD.

2. If in fact we are commanded "to overcome evil with good," may we not safely infer that God will do the same? (Rom. 12:21)
You are questioning God's right to lay judgment on those who reject Him. "Do not temp". (Just sayin)

Again, there are 4 views to hell. But who cares? Just do the will of the Father.

Wrong. God hates sin. Jesus Christ came specifically for sinners. Wow, you need to read scripture. God is on your side. He sent His Son to redeem man from sin as well as re-establish the relationship lost in the fall. Christ is our advocate. Lets not diminish His work on the cross.

God does not change.

Yes He will always love them, the problem is they HATE Him.

We are commanded to love one another, this is only accomplished thorough the power of the Holy Spirit that dwells in the believer. Have you received His Holy Spirit?

God is never unjust.

9. If all men justly deserve endless punishment, will not those who are saved, be saved unjustly? Your question has no basis. God is not unjust, He loves everyone and those who do not love Him will not ever see Him in the after life. Seems fair to me. Not you?

Ah, finally a reasonably easy question. Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth, who is the only one that has authority on earth. It can't be that difficult, however, I do understand that it is a challenge without the Helper.
Depends on your view of hell. No one knows for sure what happens to those who reject God.

12. Would it be merciful in God to inflict endless punishment? -- that is, merciful to the sufferer? I think you know the answer to that. God gave us mercy through His Son Jesus Christ of Nazareth. He paid YOUR sin. Punishment is never knowing who He is. Think about it. All these questions and you do not bother to know Him. Huh.

13. Can that be just which is not merciful? Just and mercy are two different things.

Yes however, there is always someone, some entity, some organization, some thing that protects, indites, judges and convicts. You should know that.

Dear Maria: I am afraid that my miniscule mind declares nada!

Your very first comment on # 1 falls far short.

There is no such animal as "everlasting torment"!

Search = "everlasting torment"

Your search query has yielded no results.

Please modify your query & try again

b679f3863cfb9e56a5e3226af07372f01500e0c6.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.