Dec 31, 2007
Adelaide
✟16,893.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Are you asking about Mary or Jesus?

If Mary, then the Bible clearly states she was a virgin (Luke 1:26-38), but subsequently, she had other children (in the natural way) to her husband Joseph. (Jesus' brothers are mentioned in Luke 8:19).

But, if you're asking about Jesus, then since we know Jesus was without sin, if he wasn't a virgin then he must've been married. The thing is though, there's zero evidence of this. I don't know of any Christians who believe that either. It's just a Da Vinci Code conspiracy theory.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, it would be poor form to marry knowing you're going to die around age 33. Mary being a Virgin at His birth is really basic for all Christians, and up until recently I believed like Jasper re: Jesus' siblings.

There is a point against that though; why did Jesus make provision for John to provide for Mary when He was on the Cross? There might be something to her never having any other kids. The language actually does support it. I'm still not comfortable with the "ever virgin" idea of Mary because it can portray sex as evil which we know it isn't, but she may have actually died a virgin.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Hi people,

I see some messages from people on this site, who say that Jesus was NOT a virgin, does Christianity teach this? Who are the ones who say that? Are that Christians, or what for group is that.

Anyone that can explain it?

Greetings,
Barbara
You're undoubtably misunderstanding a debate - pretty much all Christians, excepting a few a the liberal end of the scale - accept what the bible says clearly, that Mary was a Virgin when she conceived Jesus.

What is up for rather more debate is whether she remained a virgin for the rest of her life. Pretty much all Christians believed she did from as early as we can tell, up until well after the Reformation (including Martin Luther and John Calvin), and Catholics, Eastern Orthodox and some protestants still do. Only in about the last 400 years has a significant minority of Christians believed otherwise, taking the New Testament's references to brothers of Jesus to mean other, younger, sons of Mary. Previously they had been taken to be either cousins or older sons of Joseph by a previous marriage - ie step-brothers of Jesus.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well if that were the case, then Jesus wouldn't even be a Prophet! He said He was the Son of G-d, made Himself equal w/ G-d on many occasions, and if Mary and Joseph were His parents then that was an outright lie, He didn't live a sinless life, and His suffering, shed Blood, and death were for naught but His own crimes, and He deserved what He got.

That line of thought sure would make it hard to explain the resurrection though ;)

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What i mean with the topic, i read some people say on this site, that Jesus was a child of Mary and Josef, that he's the father and that Mary became pregnant because of the normal conception between men and wife.

I was not uncommon to give a "woman" in marriage before she was able to conceive, under the condition that sexual relations was prohibited until conception was possible.. Many speculate this is why Mary was referred to as a "virgin" with such certainty. Remember a first century wife was more than a lover. She was often times the head of running the day to day chores of a house hold. The fact of the matter was you did not need a mature woman to run a poor man's house. In loo of servants a less that wealthy man simply got married. Not saying that was Joseph's situation, but it was the reason for the social norm back them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ebia
Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Barbara-

There is a book entitled Rabbi Jesus, whose author claims that Jesus was the son of Mary and Joseph. There are also some in the liberal camp who teach that Jesus was their son.

But if Jesus had been the son of Mary and Joseph there would have been no need for Joseph to have pondered divorcing her when he realized she was pregnant (Matthew 1:18-21). We Christians accept that she became pregnant by the quite literal will of God himself, who needed to become incarnate in order to teach us, heal us, and then save us from the consequences of his own righteous judgement.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What i mean with the topic, i read some people say on this site, that Jesus was a child of Mary and Josef, that he's the father and that Mary became pregnant because of the normal conception between men and wife.
Well, that wasn't the case, and no Christian believes it to be the case. The Scriptures and the earliest creeds both insist that Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Scripture says that Joseph didn' t know Mary until after Jesus' birth. The term "know" is used elsewhere in the Bible and it indicates sex.

God created man and woman to come together in a physical union. Jesus had a natural upbringing, and that means his parents had sex and had children. Fertility is considered a blessing in the Jewish culture (here too). Jesus made for at least 7 children of Joseph and Mary, considering the plural "sisters", means at least 2. James was the brother of Jesus and was bishop of the church in Jerusalem.

Also, a marriage in the Jewish culture is not considered consummated until sex.

The whole concept of virgin worship is contrary to the plan of God. For those who are not married, virginity is considered obedience, until you are married. We are told to render due benevolence, a funny way to put it in the KJV, but the reality is, you were given a sex drive. You are also told not to committ adultery, which means your wife/husband is the only legitimate expression. For you to prevent that is literally to "defraud" the other, because it is considered a legitimate right to have it.

Furthermore, Mary is not Queen of Heaven. She does not sit at the right hand of God. She is also not the mother of God. God goes pretty far back, and you don't make your mother.

She is not mentioned in the vision of John of the throne room. Not to slight her at all. She was like every other woman, except highly favored and humble at God honoring her in such a capacity. She struggled with the same worries that all parents do. She had a sword pierce her heart so that the thoughts of many would be laid bare. To be honored, but not put on a pedestal, with statues erected where people get on their knees before it, etc. God has already said that this behavior makes Him angry, and we know He doesn't change.

I'm sure it hurts her to know that a segment of the church prays to her for help that is not within her power to give. Only God hears prayers, and He will not share His glory with another.

How would you feel if you were with God, and you had millions of people praying to you like you were God. Very awkward!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums