✟5,424.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Conservative Christians - "we will beat the gay out of you!"

Amen, brotha! Man, I just love them Bible stories, 'bout how alla them heroes like Abraham and Moses, and Yourshack, Myshack, and a Winnebago, just went around beatin' the gay out of them sinners.

Yeehaw!

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The really sad part is that he doesn't seem to understand that gender expression has nothing to do with a person being gay or straight. Even sadder that no one here seems to have realized it either.
Sorry, I took it as being obvious that gender identity traits are not an accurate indicator of sexual orientation. My mistake for not elaborating in my post.

I need to remember that part of this crowd believes that boys liking the color pink is an indicator of being gay.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Amen, brotha! Man, I just love them Bible stories, 'bout how alla them heroes like Abraham and Moses, and Yourshack, Myshack, and a Winnebago, just went around beatin' the gay out of them sinners.

Yeehaw!

Don't forget the stories from the books of Falwell and 1st Phelps. The story about Robert's son and the 700 clubs seems really applicable. ;)

Upvote 0

SmellsLikeCurlyFries

Social Capitalist
Jan 22, 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟5,424.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't forget the stories from the books of Falwell and 1st Phelps. The story about Robert's son and the 700 clubs seems really applicable. ;)

This is true. We can't forget the other saints ;)

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As I said in the other thread about this, the church that this man heads runs a school as well. I hope that no homosexual kids, or those just perceived to be that way, have the misfortune of being trapped in that school.

The child may never turn out to be gay, even if all the so-called "warning signs" are there. So this is really about enforcing strict gender roles from a very young age, and doing so using punishment if necessary. There is nothing wrong with a girl who likes to play with trucks or a boy who likes to play with dolls. Does this pastor seriously believe that a child will be doomed to a life of sin and perversion if, from their earliest years, they fail to conform to his gender schema?

Upvote 0
P

Publius

It's pretty obvious from that context that's he talking about attention-getting punch to the shoulder or chest, not a sucker-punch to the face. The chest is very strong muscle and can easily take a punch. When I first started lifting weights I dropped a 225 lb barbell on my chest and barely felt a thing, I just adjusted my grip and finished the set. A jab in the chest isn't going to hurt anyone. My brother and I do it to each other all the time, and he's a stick figure compared to me.

I saw the video and, based on the reaction from the congregation, it seems like they understood that he was speaking in hyperbole and wasn't telling them litterally to beat or hit their children.

Since they know him and sit under his teaching, I'm inclined to take their word for it.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I saw the video and, based on the reaction from the congregation, it seems like they understood that he was speaking in hyperbole and wasn't telling them litterally to beat or hit their children.

Since they know him and sit under his teaching, I'm inclined to take their word for it.

Presumably there is some message behind the hyperbole. And that message is: if your kids don't conform to strict gender stereotypes, then there is something wrong with them. Hyperbole aside (and I'm not yet entirely convinced that it was hyperbole), that message itself is wrong.

Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Conservative Christians - "we will beat the gay out of you!"

And sign laws that making your life as miserable as possible: DADT, anti-adoption, Don't Say Gay in schools. And if you criticize us at all then you are anti-Christian and therefore the REAL BULLY.
And we're also low government.

Upvote 0