SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Well this thread isn't demonic *sarcasm*, let's just mark those who have a different opinion.

Let's look at the next two verses.

17Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances (T)contrary to the teaching which you learned, and (U)turn away from them.

18For such men are (V)slaves, not of our Lord Christ but of (W)their own appetites; and by their (X)smooth and flattering speech they deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting. 19For the report of your obedience (Y)has reached to all; therefore I am rejoicing over you, but (Z)I want you to be wise in what is good and innocent in what is evil.

How many Christians are slaves to their own appetites and do not do what the Lord says?

Do you not know that you are God's temple and the God's Spirit dwells in you? If any one destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and that temple you are. (1 Corinthians 3:16-17

Upvote 0

rahmiyn

Glad to be here :)
Mar 24, 2009
Florida
✟9,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
This is an interesting topic to me. I've been reading some of these verses especially in Paul's writtings.

Paul quite often says to be in unity and to stay away from those causing division. Here are some of my observations so far.

Paul very seldom says to those in conflict this is what each of you should be saying. He just askes them to be of the same mind.

When Paul takes in the most details about disputes its what he refers to the strong brother weak brother. Paul doesn't say either is wrong or right. But he says each should not let the other speak negatively of the others position. That they respect each other and not undermind the others faith, thus they don't offend each other leading the other to forsake Christ.

While this is a simplification I don't see Paul saying speaking with one mind isn't having a script and wr all sign on and all repeat that script over and over. But that even tho we say things differently we don't speak negatively of the brothern just because they have different opinions.

dayhiker

This is really a very good post. I believe Paul is encouraging us that in an environment of love and nurture, the Holy Spirit most powerfully moves on the hearts of all, correcting wrongs by his Will, which is much more effective than any criticism that might come from our own tongue (and remember all he said about this often lethal weapon.) :)

Another thought I had in support of your post, dayhiker, is what Paul says in the love chapter about how the very same gifts (seemingly) from God can nurture and edify, or they can offend like a banging gong or symbol. Again, it confirms to me that when we love one another, the Holy Spirit moves our hearts ever towards His will for us (and those we commune with) much more effectively than our wordy instructions.

Upvote 0

Ajax 777

God is the Truth, not an opinion.
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2005
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sorry ... I do not mean to be divisive ... I don't know what else might be going on here ... nor do I want to know (lol) ... but this verse really spoke to me this morn. :blush:

It came as comfort and direction to me ... I'd been dealing with a troublesome issue all nite long.

Sometimes, maybe there is 'more to the story' behind a post ... I do understand how those things go, too ... but not always is it so ...

And I think sometimes folks here would be totally a-m-a-z-e-d to learn how God has used something they have posted to impact the life of another reader here ... to help another along their journey ...

This is the Spirit-filled forum, yes?
Lots of divisiveness sometimes ... not the Spirit in control quite so much in those times ...
but He IS here, too.

And He used this verse to minister to me this morn.
Thanks, Renee.

btw ... just as we are to 'mark them' ... the troublemakers ...
so do I think we ought to remember to 'unmark them' ... when they no longer need 'marked'.

Least, that is my thought ... as I know God is still in the business of changing hearts ...

Indeed.

We are to forgive those, even those who have wronged us,
not seven times a day, but seven times seventy.
Have we our own selves been any less forgiven?

Not a one of us can justifiably accuse a repentant brother or sister.
So then, it depends not on him who wills or him who runs,
but on God, Who has mercy.

Upvote 0

rahmiyn

Glad to be here :)
Mar 24, 2009
Florida
✟9,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Indeed.

We are to forgive those, even those who have wronged us,
not seven times a day, but seven times seventy.
Have we our own selves been any less forgiven?

Not a one of us can justifiably accuse a repentant brother or sister.
So then, it depends not on him who wills or him who runs,
but on God, Who has mercy.

This is a wonderful post!! :clap:

Reactions: Ajax 777
Upvote 0
G

gentlefire

Well this thread isn't demonic *sarcasm*, let's just mark those who have a different opinion.

Let's look at the next two verses.

17Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances (T)contrary to the teaching which you learned, and (U)turn away from them.

18For such men are (V)slaves, not of our Lord Christ but of (W)their own appetites; and by their (X)smooth and flattering speech they deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting. 19For the report of your obedience (Y)has reached to all; therefore I am rejoicing over you, but (Z)I want you to be wise in what is good and innocent in what is evil.

How many Christians are slaves to their own appetites and do not do what the Lord says?

Do you not know that you are God's temple and the God's Spirit dwells in you? If any one destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and that temple you are. (1 Corinthians 3:16-17

In answer to this question...

- every single one of us on one level or another are guilty of this imo

the Bible says If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. (1 John 1:8).

edited to add: is the answer to that trying harder to do better etc? its not actually if we look at the next verse

(1 John 1:9) If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness

that is the answer to lasting change and growing in Christ - confessing to Him and He is the one who forgives us and cleanses us
it's an amazing process... it involves hard work in being real before God but when we do confess our sins, acknowledging our inability to change without Him, God does enable us by His Holy Spirit to walk more and more in the righteousness Christ purchased for us, by trial and error often, but He does over time sanctify us more and more. Its impossible without God's help though imo and thats what gives God glory

Last edited:
Upvote 0

He put me back together

Official Hog washer
Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
✟4,092.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Luk 12:51 “Do you think that I came to give peace on earth? I say to you, no, but rather division.

male31-male-smiley-whistle-smiley-emoticon-000073-design.gif

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.