• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Marijuana Addiction

Moncus

Dec 3, 2010
✟7,783.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have been saved by Jesus for a few months now, but I am having real trouble with an addiction to marijuana. I used to smoke for my anxiety/panic attacks. However it got out of control when I started using it to cure boredom and to allow me to 'relax', because I can talk myself into needing to 'relax' in basically any situation. I just need to let go and let God. It's hard though. I still do have anxiety from time to time, but God has delivered me from much of that... but I really want to be able to control my life again and stop indulging in this fruitless activity so I can get closer to God. I need major discipline, but I have none and I don't know how to start! My entire life I've been able to do whatever I wanted with no boundaries or restrictions and I'm certainly paying for it now as an adult having to make adult decisions. I just ask that you pray for me so that I may break free with the Lord's perfect strength and stop relying on earthly substitutes for the Real Thing! God bless u all <3

I personally see no issue with your marijuana use. But just like any other activity, if you let it control your life or get between you and God it will have it's consequences. But the same can be said about TV, friends, activities, ect. Be responsible, use responsibly, and it shouldn't be an issue for you. Take care of business first, then smoke later. I highly recommend checking out the link in my signature that leads to a website called "Christians for cannabis", there's a lot of good information to be found there. Most of the christian establishment is very ... government brainwashed? They seem to think that because the government wills it, so does God. Even so especially if your using it as a medicine, i think your under the wrong impression if you think that because Christian establishments oppose marijuana that God does.

I admire your wanting to lean on God and nothing else to get you through life, but that doesn't mean that you have to give up all the things you enjoy. With the mentality you have now, it also seems like you would have to give up music, tv, games, any social contact outside of church, ect.

Upvote 0

Moncus

Dec 3, 2010
✟7,783.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
MY DEAR SISTER,

Yes, i can relate to your struggle. i was a weedhead for about 25 years of my life, and EVERYTHING revolved around growing and smoking it. i was high 24/7 for most of that time. Anyone who tries to say that week is not addicting is either a fool, a liar, inexperienced, or all of the above!

Just wanted to let you know that your struggle to "stop relying on earthly substitutes for the Real Thing" is win-able, and given your desire and the Holy Spirit's Power, it is a done deal. Just be aware that THC, being fat-soluble, takes a long time to clear your system--can take 4-6 months or more, especially for females. Withdrawals can include trouble sleep, seriously weird dreams, depression, loss of appetite, an-hedonia, etc. But just remember that these symptoms will less as time passes and will eventually disappear. YOU AND GOD CAN DO THIS!!!!!

i will keep you in my prayers, and if you need any extra support, P.M me.

BE CLEAN, BE HOLY, AND BE BLESSED!

:bow:ABBA'S FOOL,
ephraim

THC in your system won't give you "withdrawals". There can be psychological withdrawals but it doesn't have anything to do with whether or not THC is in your system. It's the same kind of withdrawals you could feel to anything else you enjoy and do for a long time. Like if you lost a spouse, you would have those same kinds of withdrawals of wanting to be with that spouse. Addiction can occur with any and every activity possible, including marijuana. If you smoke regularly when trying to stop for the first few days you may have difficulty sleeping or eating, but it's more from how you feel today vs how you felt yesterday that causes it. When your used to having the munchies all day every day you eat and enjoy it a lot and it's very easy to down food. It's also much easier to fall asleep. When you go from easy to uneasy overnight it can be difficult, but by my personal experience it passes usually by the second day.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

UnReAL13

Nov 30, 2010
USA
✟8,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I haven't had a problem stopping marijuana use for weeks or months at a time, whether by choice or forced into the position of sobriety. And I'm a pretty heavy user. I find it to be no more addictive than caffeine or video games.

I really don't consider marijuana a "drug" per se. It's more like an "herb" or a spice. Funnily enough, being high gives me the same relative feeling as eating a substantial amount of herbs and spices.

Upvote 0

davidkiwi

Dec 2, 2010
✟7,669.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I really don't consider marijuana a "drug" per se. It's more like an "herb" or a spice. Funnily enough, being high gives me the same relative feeling as eating a substantial amount of herbs and spices.

Really? That's plain bizzare. The last few years that I used drugs, most of the home-grown dope we were getting into had anyone off their faces after as little as a couple of tokes. That was not laced, it was our own plants. In fact some of the heavier stones I encountered were not very far short of acid in terms of the effect.

In recent years I've been quite astonished at the number of old friends (not Christian) who have given up smoking completely. Often not the people I would have expected. The reasons they cite have a common theme. Usually a discomfort with feelings of paranoia and anxiety. And in general they had found that over time (years) it required much less use to experience those effects.

The splitting of hairs as to which drugs are "good" or which are "bad" is actually a meaningless argument. Whatever one uses to alter their mind, if one day one discovers it's not quite as cool as they'd first thought, exactly which drug is doing what becomes totally irrelevant. If your experience is that it's bad... it's bad.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
^Really this whole discussion is bizarre...Christians don't, shouldn't and can't smoke pot. Also I never had any marijuana that was like oregano, actually if you thought you were getting weed and you got oregano all you got was jipped.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Moncus

Dec 3, 2010
✟7,783.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As someone else said in another topic, this isn't a good place to debate whether or not pot is good or bad. My original post was advice directly to the author of this thread, and many questioned my advice and that's what's started this discussion.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

UnReAL13

Nov 30, 2010
USA
✟8,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Haha I said the same "relative" feeling. The marijuana is obviously more intense. And I'm talking about eating a substantial amount of spices, not just your few dashes of salt & pepper.

And Soldier when you say "can't" do you mean to say that they "will not" or "haven't"? :D

• Prayers
Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
substantial amount of spices

I hear if you eat one pound of oregano and one pound of cumin and a dash of nutmeg you will turn into a turnip.

when you say "can't"

Sorry, I didn't know the grammar police were on patrol tonight, I will have to be more careful..:D

• Prayers
Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2010
✟7,822.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I used cannabis faithfully for 20 years. It has only been 6 days since my last puff. I want to become a pastor or evangelist, so I know that I can not continue in my fleshy indulgences if I want to pursue God's work in my life. My body is a temple, where the Holy Spirit of the living God abides. There is only enough room in here for one god, and I choose the Creator Almighty God.

It took a 3 day fast, where I abstained from everything but water and tea, to kick the habit. There is one problem though. My husband is a user. So although I have decided to change my life, seeing him roll it, smoke it or smelling it on his clothes and breath drives me insane. It makes the temptation 1000 fold!!

A few scriptures regarding deliverance
Luke 11:24-26
24 &#8220;When an evil spirit leaves a person, it goes into the desert, searching for rest. But when it finds none, it says, &#8216;I will return to the person I came from.&#8217; 25 So it returns and finds that its former home is all swept and in order. 26 Then the spirit finds seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they all enter the person and live there. And so that person is worse off than before.&#8221;

Matthew 12:43-45
43 &#8220;When an evil spirit leaves a person, it goes into the desert, seeking rest but finding none. 44 Then it says, &#8216;I will return to the person I came from.&#8217; So it returns and finds its former home empty, swept, and in order. 45 Then the spirit finds seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they all enter the person and live there. And so that person is worse off than before. That will be the experience of this evil generation.&#8221;

2 Peter 2:20
"If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning."

Users who want to quit. I'm assuming you want to quit because the Holy Spirit living in you has convicted you for indulging in fleshy desires. For depending on something other then He. I have advice for you. Wear your Holy Armor. The enemy seeks to devour you, he seeks to sift you like wheat. He does not want to see you delivered so you must:
Wear you helmet of Salvation, your breastplate of Righteousness, your belt of Truth, the shield of Faith, the Shoes of peace which comes from the Gospel and the sword which is Gods Word. Also, pray in the spirit at all times, and pray for the saints, (thats each other).
If you read the temptation of Christ, you will see an example of how he defeated all of satans attempts to ruin him.

It doesn't matter what your addiction is, whether it be marijuana, alcohol or even coffee or TV...if it distracts your attention from God then it is a deception of the devil.
Don't let satan be the master of your soul.

(for those who smoke weed and think it is okay, I am sure when the time is right, God will speak to your heart as well. I realize that God made herb yeilding seed and saw that it was good (Genesis), and that the holy annointing oil contained kana bosm=cannabis, BUT it was not smoked, and was only used in Holy Anointing..therefore it should be used only for such sacred things...and not getting blazed with your friends.)

God Bless

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
MY SISTER,

In my opinion, your statement that "it doesn't affect you after the day is done really" is kind of dangerous in that myself and many others have had some very unpleasant and prolonged withdrawal experiences from THC.

Because your experience was "not that bad" does not mean that everyone gets off that easy when giving up weed, so my experience appears to indicate that it is best to prepare a person for the worst case scenario so they will not get discouraged when the withdrawal symptoms seem to drag on and on and be tempted into relapse. Making kicking weed sound too easy, in my opinion, does more harm than good.

In my opinion.

PEACE TO YA!

:bow:ABBA'S FOOL,
ephraim

To clarify, I was only talking about the physical effects. Psychologically, heck yea, it is not a simple task. After six months, I ended up smoking again two weeks ago. Psychologically, it may always have at least some grips upon the mind. I doubt it will ever let me go.

Christos Anesti- So right about the physical/emotional difference in addictions. Sometimes, the emotional dependence is the harder one of the two to get through. Many people can get through the physical withdrawal with greater ease than the psychological addiction that toys with you.

And guys, let's be respectful...jeesh. Mocking people while people are asking serious questions just ain't right.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

bradly-i

Jan 1, 2011
jamaica
✟15,121.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was also baptized and walked with the Lord. Unfortunately my way of life was got the better of me and I started to go back into world again. I drop the cross I once held and became influence by people around me. I'm the type who wasn't around family most of my teenage years and so I was basically free to do whatever I wanted to without worrying, hence marijuana came into play. I'm now hooked on this stuff and each time I use it I feel really bad because I know the Lord isn't pleased with such a decision. I refrain from going to church or engage in such events with friends because I now have a desire for this substance and my friends were against it. I'm currently in college but I need help getting right with God again because only he can Save me from this spiritual torture I'm experiencing. I just hope you all will pray for me and help to make that wonderful step towards eternal life.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
S

spin2start

I can so relate! Marijuana helped ruin my life. I take responsibility for allowing myself to get here. But I'm in pot hell. I live in CA and there are cannabis clubs everywhere! After smoking for almost 20 years non stop I quit for 5 years! My marriage was doing great, I could go out...Last March I pulled over, got a "perscription" and was stoned a half hour later.

It's been daily since then!?! I'm sneaking money, pawning my jewelry...I HAVE GOT TO GET FREE OF THIS!

I'll be praying for you as I know I have friends praying for me.
God Bless...

OH, my point?? Deal with this while your young...I'm 50 years old...(
Stay Strong In Jesus' Arms
Spin2

• Prayers
Upvote 0

benf

Christian
Dec 19, 2010
The Same Deep Water as You
✟15,870.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I can so relate! Marijuana helped ruin my life. I take responsibility for allowing myself to get here. But I'm in pot hell. I live in CA and there are cannabis clubs everywhere! After smoking for almost 20 years non stop I quit for 5 years! My marriage was doing great, I could go out...Last March I pulled over, got a "perscription" and was stoned a half hour later.

It's been daily since then!?! I'm sneaking money, pawning my jewelry...I HAVE GOT TO GET FREE OF THIS!

I'll be praying for you as I know I have friends praying for me.
God Bless...

OH, my point?? Deal with this while your young...I'm 50 years old...(
Stay Strong In Jesus' Arms
Spin2

Prayed for you. Hope you seek some faith-based help from this problem.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Victorium

Oct 21, 2009
Perth.
✟9,988.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
I'm a former marijuana addict. I gave up about 25 year ago but it done so much damage to my life that I have become an avid anti-marijuana preacher. It made me paranoid & delusional and totally messed me up in the head that I could not keep down a job or hold onto a girlfriend. I used to love pot now I hate it and regret ever smoking it. There is nothing better that being totally clear-headed. I know so many people, friends and relatives that are weed heads and their lives are going absolutely nowhere. I tell them about the the damage that dope does to them and they don't listen. I know people in their 50's and they cannot work or do anything, all they do is smoke pot everyday to help them cope with life. It's a catch 22 situation, people smoke pot to cope with life and pot reduces your stress threshold so you can't cope with life, you just have to give it up and go through the depression & stress and learn to cope with your problems, this will give you maturity.

If your hooked on pot, pray about it, prayer is powerful. Get off it before it makes a mess of your life!

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

God187

Apr 11, 2011
✟15,123.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Why quit? God put weed on this earth for everyones pleasure. thank god for weed!

And I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunger in the land, neither bear the shame of the heathen any more. -- Ezekiel 34:29

The Lord said unto me, 'I will take my rest and I will consider in my dwelling place like a clear heat upon herbs.' -- Isaiah 18:4-5

• Prayers
Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This post is looking for SOLUTIONS for helping a long time heavy user of pot to get to the point that he sees reality and takes actions to get clean

I DO NOT want to hear from anyone about how good pot is, how it can be controlled, it isn’t all that bad, or that God gave it to the world and wants us to use it for pleasure. Our family’s situation with pot is serious and I don’t have time for BS.

The person that I am talking about is a very close family member and has been using pot off and on for over 20 years. Lately he is using it almost on a daily basis and this is the SPECFIC problem that pot is causing. He has a very good job and they do random test for drugs. He thinks that he has this beat as he carries a tube of urine from someone else with him. Secondly, his pot use is really affecting his marriage and children. His wife is starting to consider separation and divorce.

The marriage is deteriorating because he is putting his priority in pot above marriage, family, and God. He rationalizes stating defenses that makes pot look almost harmless thinking that it will distract from the FACT that it could cost him his job, marriage, and children. I have already heard all the lame excuses for justifing pot so spare me.

Our family has discussed an intervention so we want as much information as possible from those that have succeeded in getting clean from pot and those that helped them get clean.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

honeyny22

Apr 7, 2011
✟7,942.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You know, it is possible to smoke weed and not let it become a chronic, consistent thing like most of you had allowed it to become.

I have smoked weed for around 4 years, and limited myself to smoking when chilling out with mates or whenever I fancied a joint to relax. Cannabis has no physically addictive properties but if smoked consantly over longs periods of time users can develop some psychological dependence.

Also, there is no solid link bewteen cannabis consumption and mental illness. Thats not to say that smoking it all day every day for years will not have any detrimental effect on your mind and body but in moderation, it seems to be reasonably safe drug.

Self control is the key, if you dont have it, dont smoke weed.

There is no such thing as a "Safe drug" and 2. You only think it's a "Safe drug" because you have not lost anything because of it yet, further more they say weed is worse on your lungs then cigarettes

• Prayers
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2012
✟15,121.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was also baptized and walked with the Lord. Unfortunately my way of life was got the better of me and I started to go back into world again. I drop the cross I once held and became influence by people around me. I'm the type who wasn't around family most of my teenage years and so I was basically free to do whatever I wanted to without worrying, hence marijuana came into play. I'm now hooked on this stuff and each time I use it I feel really bad because I know the Lord isn't pleased with such a decision. I refrain from going to church or engage in such events with friends because I now have a desire for this substance and my friends were against it. I'm currently in college but I need help getting right with God again because only he can Save me from this spiritual torture I'm experiencing. I just hope you all will pray for me and help to make that wonderful step towards eternal life.
When Jesus died He died for ALLLL our sins past,present and future...ALLLLLL ..So confess it to Him, He already knows...we are no great shock to HIm...There isnt NOTHING He cant fix...and dont run from HIM...He loves YOU!!! and remember Romans 8:1 Be Blessed

• Prayers
Upvote 0