• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Marijuana Addiction

DancingAshlee

Feb 11, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
✟7,653.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I have been saved by Jesus for a few months now, but I am having real trouble with an addiction to marijuana. I used to smoke for my anxiety/panic attacks. However it got out of control when I started using it to cure boredom and to allow me to 'relax', because I can talk myself into needing to 'relax' in basically any situation. I just need to let go and let God. It's hard though. I still do have anxiety from time to time, but God has delivered me from much of that... but I really want to be able to control my life again and stop indulging in this fruitless activity so I can get closer to God. I need major discipline, but I have none and I don't know how to start! My entire life I've been able to do whatever I wanted with no boundaries or restrictions and I'm certainly paying for it now as an adult having to make adult decisions. I just ask that you pray for me so that I may break free with the Lord's perfect strength and stop relying on earthly substitutes for the Real Thing! God bless u all <3

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have been saved by Jesus for a few months now, but I am having real trouble with an addiction to marijuana. I used to smoke for my anxiety/panic attacks. However it got out of control when I started using it to cure boredom and to allow me to 'relax', because I can talk myself into needing to 'relax' in basically any situation. I just need to let go and let God. It's hard though. I still do have anxiety from time to time, but God has delivered me from much of that... but I really want to be able to control my life again and stop indulging in this fruitless activity so I can get closer to God. I need major discipline, but I have none and I don't know how to start! My entire life I've been able to do whatever I wanted with no boundaries or restrictions and I'm certainly paying for it now as an adult having to make adult decisions. I just ask that you pray for me so that I may break free with the Lord's perfect strength and stop relying on earthly substitutes for the Real Thing! God bless u all <3
MY DEAR SISTER,

Yes, i can relate to your struggle. i was a weedhead for about 25 years of my life, and EVERYTHING revolved around growing and smoking it. i was high 24/7 for most of that time. Anyone who tries to say that week is not addicting is either a fool, a liar, inexperienced, or all of the above!

Just wanted to let you know that your struggle to "stop relying on earthly substitutes for the Real Thing" is win-able, and given your desire and the Holy Spirit's Power, it is a done deal. Just be aware that THC, being fat-soluble, takes a long time to clear your system--can take 4-6 months or more, especially for females. Withdrawals can include trouble sleep, seriously weird dreams, depression, loss of appetite, an-hedonia, etc. But just remember that these symptoms will less as time passes and will eventually disappear. YOU AND GOD CAN DO THIS!!!!!

i will keep you in my prayers, and if you need any extra support, P.M me.

BE CLEAN, BE HOLY, AND BE BLESSED!

:bow:ABBA'S FOOL,
ephraim

Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Keep praying friend. The only way I knew to begin to get free was to sit down and really think and pray "God, help me to want to stay straight, make me want you more than drugs." Cuz...you know, I want to spend all my time with God, but there are times when I just want drugs so much more, when drugs seem to hold more value.

Thankfully, withdrawal from weed isn't all too scary. And while it stays in your "system" for months, it doesn't affect you after the day is done really. It will stay in your urine for under a month.

But none of that really matters...keep praying. God is with you and can do great things even while we are still doing drugs. We don't have to get clean before God moves or acts. You can PM if you want.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Keep praying friend. The only way I knew to begin to get free was to sit down and really think and pray "God, help me to want to stay straight, make me want you more than drugs." Cuz...you know, I want to spend all my time with God, but there are times when I just want drugs so much more, when drugs seem to hold more value.

Thankfully, withdrawal from weed isn't all too scary. And while it stays in your "system" for months, it doesn't affect you after the day is done really. It will stay in your urine for under a month.

But none of that really matters...keep praying. God is with you and can do great things even while we are still doing drugs. We don't have to get clean before God moves or acts. You can PM if you want.
MY SISTER,

In my opinion, your statement that "it doesn't affect you after the day is done really" is kind of dangerous in that myself and many others have had some very unpleasant and prolonged withdrawal experiences from THC.

Because your experience was "not that bad" does not mean that everyone gets off that easy when giving up weed, so my experience appears to indicate that it is best to prepare a person for the worst case scenario so they will not get discouraged when the withdrawal symptoms seem to drag on and on and be tempted into relapse. Making kicking weed sound too easy, in my opinion, does more harm than good.

In my opinion.

PEACE TO YA!

:bow:ABBA'S FOOL,
ephraim

• Prayers
Upvote 0

JPH

Nov 29, 2006
AZ
✟7,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,I smoked marijuana for many years starting in about 6th grade until I graduated H.S. I found it more psychologically addicting rather than a physical addiction.I knew one day I would have to quit in order to become a mature responsible adult.It is one reason I joined the Army bec.I knew they would check me so that really helped me quit.
But as a believer also remember that purchasing and using marijuana is a crime.You can go to jail because of it.
So that is reason enough to quit.It is illegal and as christians we should be lawbiding citizens.
Tip#1.Find other things to occupy your time.
Tip#2.You will do what you think about.Dont think about( not smoking pot today) because you are still thinking about pot, even in a negative way,but rather tell yourself what you will do instead and set your mind on those things.
I work in a prison and believe me because it is illegal it is not worth the risk of being caught.Dont let your life be controlled by a plant.
PEACE2U

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Spoonbill

Feb 25, 2010
✟285.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Coming from someone who smoked it pretty much for 15 years straight (I have since stopped), smoking it will eventually CAUSE panic attacks and paranoia. This is the reason I stopped. It eventually started causing more harm than good.

Yes, weed is probably not too bad physically for you, but mentally is a different story. By the sounds of it you should take up another hobby....

And as mentioned above by the 25 year smoker, yes, it is addictive (mentally, which is just as bad).

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Saved_Youth

May 16, 2008
Australia
✟15,210.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have only just realized that I want to quit smoking this weed. It has damaged my work ethic at school and makes studying a heck of a lot harder. I promise myself at night time that I will quit but when my subconscious starts wandering I feel the need to get high.

Let this post mark the start of a new life for me.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

wblueskylives

Mar 20, 2010
✟7,661.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I smoked weed for a solid 3 years 24/7. Ended up flunking out of college and I couldn't even hold a steady job. Finally ended up getting what I think was a laced sack, started giving me panic attacks and generally made me feel terrible. That's when God spoke to me saying something along the lines of, "Those who are saved are dead to sin, and alive in Jesus." I realized I shouldn't be feeling like death if I had been saved, and I up and quit after that. It's almost been 4 months for me now, I still occasionally get the urge to get high, but I remember that I'm saved and how awful it made me feel.

So keep strong everyone, it's possible to dump the habit, and honestly, life sober really isn't that bad. Much easier to see God's work in your life too :D

God bless

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Exial

Dec 7, 2009
United Kingdom
✟555.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You know, it is possible to smoke weed and not let it become a chronic, consistent thing like most of you had allowed it to become.

I have smoked weed for around 4 years, and limited myself to smoking when chilling out with mates or whenever I fancied a joint to relax. Cannabis has no physically addictive properties but if smoked consantly over longs periods of time users can develop some psychological dependence.

Also, there is no solid link bewteen cannabis consumption and mental illness. Thats not to say that smoking it all day every day for years will not have any detrimental effect on your mind and body but in moderation, it seems to be reasonably safe drug.

Self control is the key, if you dont have it, dont smoke weed.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

zachburnett

Jul 14, 2010
✟7,628.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I smoked weed and drank coffee and smoked cigarettes, and 5 hour energy drinks from December of last year until May of this year and then quit cold turkey. Three days after I quit I had a major panic attack and went to the emergency room. 5 days later I had another one. For about 3 weeks after my first attack my symptoms were serious anxiety, depression, vivid dreams, sweaty palms/feet/arm pits, confusion, racing thoughts, light-headedness, a feeling of dread quit often, and some depersonalization. since then up till now which is 2 1/2 months later my symptoms are anxiety, some light-headedness, some confusion, and depression. My depersonalization is going away by reading His Word and realizing who I am in Christ now but my symptoms are still very heavy every day. I was 30 pounds over weight when I quit and now I am 10 pounds over weight, good luck.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 8, 2010
✟8,020.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
I get panic attacks too. I know how harsh they can be. Have you spoken to a doctor or a counselor? I think you should try other ways to relax, go for a walk, play with a pet or just hang with a friend. I am sure there is something out there other that drugs to make you feel better.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Ar Cosc

I only exist on the internet
Jul 12, 2010
Scotland
✟3,511.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I found that going out for a run was a really great way of clearing out my thoughts, and if you have a really good one, you'll be too tired afterwards to think about smoking. There was a while there when I was getting a bit worried about my drinking, and running kept me busy and helped sort me out.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
S

spin2start

Hi,
My name is Lori and I need prayer and a breakthrough and some real help. Raised in church, loved God, backslid, spent almost 30 yrs. out there getting high, bottomed out, cried to God, He heard me, cleaned up for quite some years. Last year on an impulse I went and got a "script" for cannabis(I'm in Sac. CA and weed can be had easier than groceries),

I'm way into getting stoned 24/7!! I feel so defeated! God has been so good to me and I've tried to be a faithful servant but here I am....trying to fool myself that weed is "natural" and I can do both...serve the Lord and smoke myself stupid?!?!??!?!!?!?

Lord Jesus.....break this from me!!
Thanks for listening,
Lori
:help:

• Prayers
Upvote 0

UnReAL13

Nov 30, 2010
USA
✟8,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If it's addictive, then it's a psychological or emotional dependency. It hasn't been proven to be physically addictive. Cigarettes and alcohol are far worse, as it's impossible to die directly from cannabis. The overdose ratio is 40,000:1. There's also no link between marijuana and lung cancer. The tar doesn't bond to the alveoli processors in your lungs the way cigarette tar does. Plus there isn't nearly as many chemicals as tobacco, there's mainly cannabinoids.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Christos Anesti

Oct 25, 2009
Michigan
✟20,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If it's addictive, then it's a psychological or emotional dependency.

The psycholgoical and emotional aspect of addiction can trap a person into repeated use. I used to be a heroin addict and going through the withdraw symptoms was very hard and brought me a lot suffering. I could do it though. Once they were gone I still had the psychological and emotional attachements and I found them even harder to ingore over the long run then simply having withdraws though. I wouldn't underestimate it. It takes a lot to work through any sort of drug addiction. The fact that something isn't "physically addictive" doesn't mean you can't get hooked on it or even that it is hard to get hooked on. Some people seem to be more prone to addictive behavior too and just because maybe you personally have not had trouble with being addicted to weed doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Ar Cosc

Jul 12, 2010
Scotland
✟3,511.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The psycholgoical and emotional aspect of addiction can trap a person into repeated use. I used to be a heroin addict and going through the withdraw symptoms was very hard and brought me a lot suffering. I could do it though. Once they were gone I still had the psychological and emotional attachements and I found them even harder to ingore over the long run then simply having withdraws though. I wouldn't underestimate it. It takes a lot to work through any sort of drug addiction. The fact that something isn't "physically addictive" doesn't mean you can't get hooked on it or even that it is hard to get hooked on. Some people seem to be more prone to addictive behavior too and just because maybe you personally have not had trouble with being addicted to weed doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

By the same token though, anything can be addictive in this way, inappropriate content, gambling, video games, golf... If the other harmful effects are negligible, is there really a problem?

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Christos Anesti

Oct 25, 2009
Michigan
✟20,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
By the same token though, anything can be addictive in this way, inappropriate content, gambling, video games, golf.

For some people yes.

If the other harmful effects are negligible

If a person is actually addicted to smoking weed and feels the need to be stoned constantly I think the harmful effects would go beyond negligible. Being high all the time messes with your emotions and thought processes.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Ar Cosc

Jul 12, 2010
Scotland
✟3,511.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If a person is actually addicted to smoking weed and feels the need to be stoned constantly I think the harmful effects would go beyond negligible. Being high all the time messes with your emotions and thought processes.

But surely so does alcohol. Being drunk all the time isn't great for you, and constant gambling wreaks havoc on your bank balance. And do I really need to mention the horrors of golf addiction?! ;)

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Christos Anesti

Oct 25, 2009
Michigan
✟20,114.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But surely so does alcohol. Being drunk all the time isn't great for you, and constant gambling wreaks havoc on your bank balance.

I agree. Its just important not to minimize what people go through when they are addicted though. I think it is also the case that some things are more prone to cause psychological dependence than others. Alcohol is way up there. Probably worse than weed in that area. A LOT of people have problems with weed though. For many people its not just a harmless thing they do once a month or something.

• Prayers
Upvote 0