SpeckOdust

Jan 24, 2017
U.K
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Full Title: Many Young Adults Are Turning To Witchcraft As A Way To Rebel Against Their Conservative Christian Upbringings

The Washington Standard
March 14th 2017

Young adults in America are far less likely to identify themselves as “Christians” than previous generations of Americans, but that does not mean that they have given up on searching for spiritual meaning in their lives. According to Wikipedia, one very popular form of witchcraft known as Wicca has been growing at a rate of more than 100 percent annually in recent years, and this has been happening at a time when Christianity has been in decline in the United States. Of course other pagan and occult groups have been exploding in popularity as well, and as you will see below, one of the primary reasons for this is because many young adults are seeking ways to rebel against their conservative Christian upbringings.

I have written much about how young adults in this country are far more politically liberal than their parents and grandparents, and this enormous cultural shift in values has a spiritual dimension to it as well.

A recent Barna Group study found that only 4 percent of Americans aged 18 to 29 have a Biblical worldview.

Only 4 percent.

The shocking truth is that the values of most Millennials much more easily fit into pagan spirituality than they do into most evangelical Christian churches.
If you want to sleep around with as many people as possible, that is okay in witchcraft. If you want to take drugs and get high every day, that is okay in witchcraft. If you want to be a radical pro-abortion feminist, that is okay in witchcraft. If you want to be a gay transsexual exhibitionist, that is okay in witchcraft.

More at link:

Many Young Adults Are Turning To Witchcraft As A Way To Rebel Against Their Conservative Christian Upbringings - The Washington Standard

Poster comment: Perhaps this is why see such a surge in troubled youth on our prayer walls and Exploring Christianity.

It might also be argued that there IS covert Witchcraft inside the Church across the board in a lot of seemingly-conservative denominations...The presence of the Masonic-Members in Churches (even if they do not practice masonic-ritual/"magick")could also have an undesirable-effect upon other Church-Members.

Upvote 0

Spiritlight

✰•.¸¸★•*´¨`*•.¸.✰
Apr 1, 2011
manitoba
✟23,118.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my day it was having long hair and listening to rock music,we are running out of ideas I guess.
were always looking for the answer to why do I exist and why am I here and experiment with different things to fill the empty void of meaninglessness and emptiness. The millennials don't have a long attention span, Wicca will be replaced with the iPhone 8 soon enough or Buddhism or maybe Christianity.

Upvote 0

pakicetus

Apr 11, 2015
✟89,017.00
Country
Faroe Islands
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Has nothing to do with it,so you dismiss what the bible says on the issue?
I don't think John could've possibly meant effective evangelism can't draw people towards God. If he believed that, he wouldn't have tried to convert anyone himself.
Young people will be more likely to listen when they see their own flaws and need of a savior instead of considering themselves superior to anyone who does not fit their definitions for all things
I'm not saying it's rational to reject Christianity because so many Christians are hypocrites. It's not. I'm just saying that happens to be what a lot of people are doing.
millennials practice their own forms of bigotry and hypocrisy
You're definitely right about that. Again, I'm not trying to argue millennials are better than their elders. I'm trying to explain, psychologically, why some millennials leave Christianity, or at least the forms of Christianity that most people in this thread are comfortable with. The fact that millennials are also bigoted against all kinds of groups doesn't change the fact that the extreme homophobia and sexism of many churches is driving them away.

As for hypocrisy, I think there's a difference between being moderately hypocritical and extremely hypocritical. If the Christian church were hypocritical in an ordinary way, I think everyone could forgive that. But a lot of it is so full of hypocrisy that it's hard to see who or what a lot of Christians stand for at all. Conservative Christianity simply is hypocrisy. Like I outlined before, the conservative church practices the direct opposite of every single moral principle it claims to believe in. If it practiced half of them, more people would join it.

I'm less critical of liberal Christianity obviously, but I also think if more liberal Christians were comfortable with using their religion to defend the oppressed and influence politics, instead of regarding religion as a purely private matter, they would make Christianity look a lot more inspiring to people who currently see religion as an obstacle to the interests of the working class.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kevin Ambrose

Christian Nationalist
Feb 15, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟20,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Part of me wants to start a thread about cats just to see how many posts it takes for someone to turn it into a rant about the President. The obsession is becoming concerning.

As for the actual topic at hand: occultism remains a valid threat to the young and vulnerable. Witches are not good people. The very essence of their religion is rooted in Satanism and idolatry. The fact that media is pushing it as an alternative (see the recent "global ritual to bind Donald Trump" fiasco) just proves how desperate and anti-Christian they really are.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

zara<3

Feb 15, 2017
earth
✟11,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
TX_Matt said:
It's true we're leaving the church in drones

The-Swarm-super-drone.jpg
How did I miss out on this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pakicetus

Apr 11, 2015
✟89,017.00
Country
Faroe Islands
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Part of me wants to start a thread about cats just to see how many posts it takes for someone to turn it into a rant about the President. The obsession is becoming concerning.
It's unfair to call something a "rant" when it's (a) calm and (b) 100% relevant to the point I was making. It's only tangentially related to the thread topic, but then, conversations are tangents.
Witches are not good people.
Are there any studies proving this? If not, how can you make a claim like that? Wiccans are only a tiny sliver of the population, so there's no way you've known enough of them to judge the whole group. You should take it back.

Upvote 0

Kevin Ambrose

Christian Nationalist
Feb 15, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟20,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
It's unfair to call something a "rant" when it's (a) calm and (b) 100% relevant to the point I was making. It's only tangentially related to the thread topic, but then, conversations are tangents.

Are there any studies proving this? If not, how can you make a claim like that? Wiccans are only a tiny sliver of the population, so there's no way you've known enough of them to judge the whole group. You should take it back.

I will not take it back. I'm more than familiar enough with Satanists and their cults. And ultimately Wiccans are Satanists, whether they are willing to accept that or not it remains the same.

Perhaps you should be as critical of the servants of Satan as you are of the servants of God?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: pakicetus
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As for the actual topic at hand: occultism remains a valid threat to the young and vulnerable. Witches are not good people.

The Wiccans I know are good people. I have had several Wiccan students over the years; I remain in contact with several of them.

The very essence of their religion is rooted in Satanism and idolatry.

If you know anything about Wicca, you know that Wiccans deny the existence of Satan. Wicca and Satanism are very different. Wiccans believe that any harm that a person does to another returns threefold in this life. Satanists have no qualms with harming others.

Am I saying that Wicca is a path to salvation? No, of course not. I'm saying that they are not the evil people that you are making them out to be.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As a millennial, I find the article completely ridiculous and unfounded. I know one wiccan, but hundreds of Christians my age. Almost all of whom feel some sort of disconnect with the church. I would be lying if I have said I haven't considered leaving the church, not the faith, but just not attend church anymore. It's true we're leaving the church in drones, and we are leaving the church because the church has failed and is continuing to fail to reach our generation. This article is just further proof that the church, especially evangelicalism, does not get us. We are not leaving church because we would rather go out and sin and embrace the world in all of it's most evil ways, but inauthenticity. My generation and those after me has an incredibly developed sense of when something is authentic versus a marketing tool with no backing, we have a very attuned, you know, meter. We cringe every time we see a ministry called "The Well", "Ignite", or (insert supposedly cool and relevant sounding name here), especially when it's obvious they're just doing it to sound "cool". In my experience and opinion, and every other millennial my age who's written on this reflects this idea: we don't want out of the church what the church thinks we want out of church. If I had to list the top three things my generation and younger wants out of church, it would be this: 1) Authenticity 2) Community 3) A God and Christianity that is not watered down to patriotic moralism and escapism (we want to hear about Jesus and how that matters to us and the world right here and now, not the moral decline of America and the world), not "more hip" and entertaining worship and a mini-coffeehouse (okay maybe this one, but it can't be for the sole purpose of attracting people). We don't want to go to church to be entertained, we want to go to church to meet God and each other. We aren't leaving the church because it's not "cool enough", or because we'd rather go out and sin, we're leaving the church because the church has failed and is continuing to fail to actually reach our generation and the generation before us.

To me, the article is simply trying to point the blame elsewhere and denying what is actually happening. There's nothing wrong with that, it's only human to do so. I don't think the church did anything against us, it's not like it intentionally drove us away, and I don't think you can really point a finger to anything specific other, but it was something that was mostly an internal situation. We're not all leaving the church, but those of us who are staying are or have gone towards the older and more traditional churches of Anglicanism, Catholicism, and Orthodoxy because those churches have what we want out of the church.

I wish I could "Winner" this post more than once.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kevin Ambrose

Christian Nationalist
Feb 15, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟20,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
The Wiccans I know are good people. I have had several Wiccan students over the years; I remain in contact with several of them.

If you know anything about Wicca, you know that Wiccans deny the existence of Satan. Wicca and Satanism are very different. Wiccans believe that any harm that a person does to another returns threefold in this life. Satanists have no qualms with harming others.

Am I saying that Wicca is a path to salvation? No, of course not. I'm saying that they are not the evil people that you are making them out to be.

I know plenty about Wicca. And the forces they barter with are clearly demonic.

Again, I'm not interested in their opinion on their craft. As a Christian the truth is more than apparent.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know plenty about Wicca. And the forces they barter with are clearly demonic. Again, I'm not interested in their opinion on their craft. As a Christian the truth is more than apparent.

Your earlier claim was "Wiccans are Satanists." That is incorrect. Any proof to back up you claim?

Upvote 0

Kevin Ambrose

Christian Nationalist
Feb 15, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟20,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Your earlier claim was "Wiccans are Satanists." That is incorrect. Any proof to back up you claim?

My claim was Wiccans are Satanists whether they want to admit it or not. Their "witchcraft", the actual rituals they partake in, are a means to conjure demonic forces.

Satanists like Anton LaVey and Michael Aquino have openly criticized Wiccans for their attempts to distance their religion from the Devil. The truth of their "religion" is obvious to anyone with a little knowledge of the Bible.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My claim was Wiccans are Satanists whether they want to admit it or not. Their "witchcraft", the actual rituals they partake in, are a means to conjure demonic forces. Satanists like Anton LaVey and Michael Aquino have openly criticized Wiccans for their attempts to distance their religion from the Devil.

So Wiccans are Satanists because satanists say so?

The truth of their "religion" is obvious to anyone with a little knowledge of the Bible.

And, again, I did not say that Wicca was a path to salvation. In fact I clearly said the opposite. However, I disagree with your claim that they are "not good people," just as I disagree with your claim that they are Satanists.

In any even, the OP is incorrect in the claim that young people are turning to witchcraft. The number of Wiccans is a tiny portion of the population.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it really to rebel?

I don't think the first purpose is to rebel

I think there is nothing held sacred because it is sacred

And when it comes to the TRUTH of GOD who doesn't change, it is not enough for young adults who look for visible signs and words and actions to gain meaning of their world

Young adults want to "see" and knowledge is seeking and searching out concrete seen evidence

Really Blessed are those who have not seen and believe

May no one influence them otherwise

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

david.d

Oct 19, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
Visit site
✟27,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the way we have watered down the Gospel and tried to adapt it to culture and society. I'm sure is has nothing to do with all the sermons that are about making money and being successful. I'm sure it has nothing to do with trying to attract people with attractions instead of feeding the sheep. I'm sure it ironically has nothing to with the massive upscale in youth group movements that try to promote sports and clubs instead of instruction. It has to be a problem with the youth and not the way we've strayed from teaching morals, because we don't want to offend someone.

If we aren't feeding them with the truth they will eat somewhere else, after their church softball game.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They're children
And there are adults who are without god who are offering these other things

They do not have a care for the souls of these young adults and the parents most often don't even know what is going on

They do not have the moment in this rush rush life to acknowledge their own souls let alone their children's

So these young people are looking for done sort of social group, some sort of excitement, some sort of new over the top activity and do not even realize that their delving into spiritual realms is the concrete evidence that there indeed exists a spiritual realm

But in drunkenness rather than snapping to attention and understanding that there are indeed spirits and a spiritual realm
Than there must indeed be A GOD

And rather than running for their lives and washing themselves of this spiritual sickness, some will remain excited and interested and dead to the truth that this is s door they should have never opened

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you responding to me? 'Cause the standards I described were low.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say my generation is better than yours. Your generation makes more money, and that's got to count for something, morally speaking. Redleghunter just asked how Christian churches could attract more young people, and it's hard to contribute an answer to that question without making some criticisms of your generation and its spirituality. If he asked, "How could evangelical atheists attract older people?" I might be pointing out some flaws in the strategies of young atheists.

I agree, self examination and external examination are very important in the church Christian, frankly any organization.

I propose we all have a good conversation as if we were sitting down with a cup of coffee. Let's 'lower the shields and beam on board." :)

I'm a retired Army officer (late 40s) and now teach young active duty Army Soldiers, NCOs, and Officers. What we call a grey beard job where I give back all I learned over the years. Most of the students I mentor and coach are in the 20-35 year old range. One of the best ways to mentor these great professionals is to get to know them and have them get to you know me.

It is interesting seeing your generation navigate a profession like the US military. Your generation is truly more compassionate on average, thoughtful to others, respectful to others and either don't let anything bother them, or the flip side they let everything coming their way bother them. This is probably the greatest personal imbalance I've seen, which I cannot explain. Frankly, in many ways Millennials are no different than any other generation making their way through early adult life. The scene and settings may be different, but I still see the zeal and optimism I had and my peers had.

The younger end of the Millennial generation seem to be a bit more confused on their future direction. I've spoken to quite a few given when you work 6 months with some of these professionals they tend to come to me and others here like we are uncles and aunts. Another adult to bounce things off of and get opinions and life experience. Of course regardless of age gaps, we all do have something in common. We are Soldiers either old and retired Soldiers or on current active duty. There is something which transcends time which bonds us, and that is the unspoken entry argument into any discussion we have.

Now that this old middle aged man rambled on, here's my point.

We can do the same in the Church. There is much that transcends times and seasons. The article @TX_Matt posted had some very good things to unpack. Meaning, the Christian faith in the NT and early church after that was a church of action....Faith for Christians is a verb. Faith implies faithfulness. We are living in this fallen world but not of it...we are pilgrims seeking the Kingdom of God. Our main mission statement given by Christ was to preach His Gospel and make disciples. So Matt's article hits the mark in most of the presentation.

However, @Tull makes a good point as well. The tone of the article seems to be 'you need to do this or else.'

Call it persuasive language, I got the hint from the article. Older folk need to listen. Not only do they need to listen but be able to say 'no' when it is warranted and to explain why sometimes the answer is 'no.' Not just say 'no' because the statement of faith/catechism says so, or the Bible says so, but give everyone with ears that hear, the 'why' of 'no.' This is the most important part of being an elder (not just the ones with the title) in the faith. We must provide guidance and direction, and we never outgrow elders. I currently listen to the sage advice of Christian men and women elder to me in age and faith. The mentorship-student relationship never ends. Perhaps my generation has been woefully inadequate in that department.

Which leads into the part where the article speaks of 'gospel' but truly does not explain what this gospel means to those outside the church. Taking the article at face value, without giving exceptions that the author is a mature Christian, if I was not a Christian I would conclude the gospel spoken of in the article was ministering to the poor and getting involved in community activities.

Why do I mention this? Because ministering to the poor and getting involved in the local community is not the Gospel which saves souls. It is frankly what Christians do, or are supposed to do to emulate and walk as Christ and His apostles walked. And I agree we walk and DO what is in our hearts. Those hearts are changed by God. Christianity is a faith of redemption, the selfless sacrifice of Jesus Christ leading to His death for us. Christianity is also a faith of the Resurrection of the dead as Christ conquered death and then Rose over it. That is what Jesus told us to preach to the ends of the earth. What the article addresses is the outcropping of this faith in the Risen Lord.

How do we learn about our Christian faith? We do learn it from the Bible where we find the direct words of Jesus Christ, but not only the words but His works of miracles and actions of His death and Resurrection. The Christian faith is one of Miracles proving the words spoken are of God and Truth. The works we do profess this faith make others not in the faith 'wonder' 'curious' or 'convinced' of the Truth. Helping and ministering to the physical needs of others is professing the Christian faith, however, if we don't bring the salve or ointment of the Gospel of Christ's shed blood for the forgiveness and repentance unto salvation, we are an incomplete Christian Church. We are frankly missing the mark and not doing as Christ commanded (Luke 24:44-49) and His apostles preached (1 Corinthians 15).

I'm listening what did I miss?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anybody aware that there are spirits and a spiritual realm and who delve into these spiritual realms and remain drawn to these spiritual realms rather than repenting and turning to GOD
are openly rebelling against GOD

Upvote 0

Orthodoxjay1

Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Has the Church failed? No we failed as members of the Church, due to our sins, cutting us off from the one Truine God in the Trinity - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We fail because we become like the world, and no longer are trying to transform the world, we fail because in the west they reduce the Theotokos, the birthgiver of God to a Testtube,we fail because in the west, the Blood, and Body of Christ is mere symbolism and not the literal blood, and body of Christ, we have failed when we treat Church as a mere social club, what does that say to young people, we fail when we treat Sin in the west as a juridical, and legalistic concept, not as the missing the mark, to be corrected through the sacrament of Confession, and the act of reconciliation with God, we fail when we treat Marriage as legal contracts in the west, not as Holy sacraments that are sacred to Christ, we fail when there are social clicks and no outreach at Church, we fail when we fail to forgive our children, as we want Christ to forgive us. No I'll be the lone voice, and say the Church hasn't failed our youth, we as human beings, due to our own transgressions, and hard heartedness are to blame for our Children walking away from Church.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0