Manipulative Christianese

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LaffyTaffy

Phrases used (often times in conjunction with scripture) to manipulate or control others and their translations.

• "I'm starting to question your salvation." (usually from someone who claims "discernment") Translation: "You're not adhering to my demands or criteria for repentance. (because obviously the blood of Jesus only covers those who meet my criteria!)"

• "I'm discerning rebellion. You are resisting conviction." Translation: "You're not following my rules and regulations, and I'm about to make a spectacle out of you."

• "You have a jezebel spirit." Translation: "You are starting to have too much influence when people should be listening to ME! You will now be shamed and removed so MY way of doing things is NOT interrupted."

• "God does not like gossiping." (usually said when no gossiping is occuring) Translation: "Yes, I screwed up BIG TIME, but you can't talk about it, and if you do, you have departed from the faith and are on a fast track to hell. Oh yes, I'll get rid of you quietly, and then tell the congregation the REAL story."

I know it's happened to you all before. What are some other ones?

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Phrases used (often times in conjunction with scripture) to manipulate or control others and their translations.

• "I'm starting to question your salvation." (usually from someone who claims "discernment") Translation: "You're not adhering to my demands or criteria for repentance. (because obviously the blood of Jesus only covers those who meet my criteria!)"

• "I'm discerning rebellion. You are resisting conviction." Translation: "You're not following my rules and regulations, and I'm about to make a spectacle out of you."

• "You have a jezebel spirit." Translation: "You are starting to have too much influence when people should be listening to ME! You will now be shamed and removed so MY way of doing things is NOT interrupted."

• "God does not like gossiping." (usually said when no gossiping is occuring) Translation: "Yes, I screwed up BIG TIME, but you can't talk about it, and if you do, you have departed from the faith and are on a fast track to hell. Oh yes, I'll get rid of you quietly, and then tell the congregation the REAL story."

WOW!

I have seen everyone of your examples in threads.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I can't think of any other ones, but I've been hearing alot of touch not my anointed. Is touch not my anointed in the Bible? I'm sure it is, but I would like to know where.

1 Ch. 16:22 and Psa. 105:15

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I thought "Jezebel spirit" meant "Leadership is male! Women are not to be in authority!"

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

good post,,:thumbsup:

you can add on all the guilt talk around the 10% church tax too..:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You are joking aren't you?

No. We are our brother's keeper. To those we have relationship with, we can't turn our gaze when we see certain attitudes. We don't have carte blanche with everyone, but with prayerful respect, we do need sometimes to speak to our brother.

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
So, FA, you don't think those phrases can be used manipulatively?

Yes they can, but I don't think they are manipulative in all cases. There are times they need to be said.

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NorrinRadd

Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes they can, but I don't think they are manipulative in all cases. There are times they need to be said.

I don't think I've ever heard the ones about "Jezebel spirit" or "do not touch My anointed ones" used Biblically.

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't think I've ever heard the ones about "Jezebel spirit" or "do not touch My anointed ones" used Biblically.

I've never heard them used manipulatively. These issues, when spoken of, hopefully are done in with spiritually corrective goal. I don't see people talking like this, except for those in authority over is. So, if lay people are bringing up the Jezebel card or the anointed thing regularly with one another, you have a problem.

Jezebel is a discernible spirit, and there is nothing wrong with speaking to it with authority to shut it up and back off. To speak to one who is tearing down an anointed brother or sister, we have a duty to do so.

These things are not to be done willy nilly. So, to the OP, yes--they can be manipulations.

Upvote 0

Atlantians

Student of Theology and History.
Mar 28, 2006
California
✟14,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is no such thing as an "anointed brother or sister".
We are ALL priests.

The "anointing" in the "touch not mine anointed" passage is talking about the ordained King of Israel.

And there is no such thing as a "Jezebel spirit that needs to be shut up and pushed back".

The 'Jezebel spirit' is a figure of speech, describing the attitude and manner in which some evil people approach teaching false doctrine.

IE: This would describe a false teacher who subverts the Church from within.

Reactions: msbojingles
Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Even so, we don't allow people to cast aspersions on our fellow brothers and sisters, some of whom have anointings in areas that we do not.

There really is a spirit we call the Jezebel spirit, and yes, it is a subversive and divisive spirit. When we can identify it, it needs dealing with.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.