Visit site
✟8,583.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
My poor dog, Smeagol, recently contracted Red Mange. The vet tells me that the lack of resistance to the mite that causes it is genetic and she possibly might have to fight this her entire life :cry:
Along with the mitaban dip, does anyone know anything that might help her? She is miserable!

Attachments

• smeagol.jpeg
    smeagol.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 54

Dagna

Heathen
Nov 14, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟15,910.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Demodex transmission from dogs to humans can occur, but it's very uncommon. I wouldn't worry too much about it, if you haven't had symptoms of it yet, you probably won't get it. I fostered a litter of basset's who came down with demodex mange at 5 weeks. It's a pain, but the dip does work. Was your dog put on antibiotics or were you given a shampoo to use at home?

Upvote 0

Jenna

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟4,598.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Dr. Dan said:
How is Demodectic Mange treated?
Treatment is often unrewarding - at best it is only about 70% successful. This is because if a hereditary condition or other systemic illness continues to depress the immune system the mites can never be erradicated. Many times, young animals must be treated four to six times until the immune system develops with age. Often, entire litters are infected. These dams should not be bred as the condition is heritable.

Treatment involves clipping the hair from the affected areas and then shampooing the skin with a good quality degreasing shampoo. The skin is then rinsed with clear water and towel dried. A dip solution containing amitraz (Tactik or Mitoban®) is then sponged over the entire dog and allowed to air dry. A word of caution: Amitraz can be toxic so protective gloves, eye and face protection should be worn by the person applying the dip. This process is repeated every two weeks until skin scrapings reveal all dead mites. This may take from 4 to 8 treatments. If bacterial infections are present, appropriate antibiotics are also administered. It is very important to not stop treatment too soon. We suggest that the dips be continued on two separate occasions two weeks apart AFTER skin scrapings reveal all dead mites. This ensures a complete kill of all stages of the demodex mite (egg-larva-nymph-adult).
Other treatments include oral Ivomec® which is an injectible cattle wormer. In mild cases this may be curative in itself or may be included in combination with amitraz dips to improve efficacy.
In dogs unresponsive to amitraz or amitraz/Ivomec® treatments, milbemycin oxime has been used with success. This is an expensive medication but very effective.
Treatment is expensive and frustrating
In my own clinical experience, we have been quite successful in curing our affected patients. Since amitraz is toxic we do not dispense the product. We do all the dips "in hospital" after retreiving a skin scraping. All we can do is continue with the scrapings and dips every two weeks until we get scrapings that contain all dead mites. We dip two more times after scrapings are negative. This can run into quite a bit of expense for owners. What happens if the condition reoccurs 6 weeks later? We get screamed at and we go on with the dips until the condition is once again under control. We have seen it reoccur 3 times. The client hated us! But... Today he has his dog and wouldn't give the world for him. To treat Demodectic mange you have to be prepared to "go for broke" and often times it can take you very close to it. We hope breeders who produce puppies with this condition take note and stop breeding these animals. It can be heartbreaking if you discover your new puppy has the "Red Mange".

Can people get Demodectic Mange?
Yes, but not from dogs. Demodex mites are host specific.

Last Words About Demodectic Mange...
Treat for four weeks AFTER skin scrapings reveal all dead mites. Expect reoccurances. Don't breed dogs that have had Demodectic Mange as puppies - you are passing this trait on to other unsuspecting owners. The disease usually is curable if you remain patient.

Upvote 0

Myah

Invoking Wisdom
Dec 8, 2003
Arkansas
Visit site
✟8,583.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Dagna said:
Demodex transmission from dogs to humans can occur, but it's very uncommon. I wouldn't worry too much about it, if you haven't had symptoms of it yet, you probably won't get it. I fostered a litter of basset's who came down with demodex mange at 5 weeks. It's a pain, but the dip does work. Was your dog put on antibiotics or were you given a shampoo to use at home?

Smeagol just came from her dip at the vet's today. She is on the mitaban dip AND antibiotics at the moment. The dip made her a little sick, but the vet said that it would drag her down a bit because of the chemicals. I'm taking her every two weeks to the vet to be bathed. I won't do it myself, as i'm terrified of getting it her eyes. He said he has seen cases where one series of dipping was all that was needed, and others where the dogs never really got rid of the mites. I'm hoping Smeagol doesn't have to go through this the rest of her life.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.