Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Man-up! What exactly is this teaching based upon, other than judeo-christian teachings?

Men, has this teaching hurt you in real life?

What do you think the teaching of "man up" actually is?

And do you really think ancient Roman or Spartan youth weren't told to "man up?"

• Friendly
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If I were to answer this honestly, in my own opinion, the idea to "man up" is to put away childish things and submit to God's authority (1 Corinthians 13:11). It is to hunger and thirst after God's righteousness (Matthew 5:6), and to love one's wife, family, and friends and to provide for them (1 Timothy 5:8). Being a man means to prioritize the important things in life and deny oneself so that the Lord may guide him according to his will (Luke 9:23, John 3:30).

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you think the teaching of "man up" actually is?

And do you really think ancient Roman or Spartan youth weren't told to "man up?"
RDKirk, I really like your question, so I rephrased the title to convey that meaning. Thank you. God bless you.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Man-up! What does this mean to you?
I hear the phrase as meaning something like "be a grown-up and take responsibility". It's especially relevant if there's some task that lies ahead that nobody wants to do, because it's unpleasant or scary or difficult or whatever, but it's gotta be done anyway -- so someone steps up and takes on the task and does it.

I like the phrase, except for its gender-specific nature; it does imply that taking responsibility is a masculine activity. I tend to avoid gendered phrases like "man up" or "be a man", if what I really mean is "be an adult". My daughter, who holds a black belt in martial arts but is not a man, tends to use the phrase "black belt up" for these situations.

Upvote 0

Universal Love

Jan 3, 2018
Harrisburg
✟15,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the term typically has a an aggressive nature to it. Meaning you should be tougher, or more like <insert person of influence>. The unfortunate thing is that man-up usually means being mean, harsh, hard, or difficult. It does personify the values of God-centered man.

I didn't see anyone telling Abraham to man up when he handed over his wife. Or what about Peter when he denied Jesus? Yet I do believe there is value to this value to the term "man-up".

In today's society we as people are taking a back seat. We often "man-up" when it's something against our personal desires, but rarely do we extend that same offer. What I mean is, are we doing the God-centered actions for others. Did you ever feel that silent voice telling you to speak up for God, talk about God, be kind or love a stranger? Did you ignore it?

What about all the people running away from being a parent? Whether that's deciding on abortion, adoption, or leaving the home all together. Maybe for others its a lesser thing like giving the kids TV or video games so you can be absent in other ways. Wouldn't our culture be drastically different if we "man-up" here?

I believe as God-centered people Jesus offered us an opportunity to redefine what it means to man-up. Man-up means to lay once self down in service for others. To love other sometime beyond societies standard boundaries. Man-up is pursuing others with a God-love and a God-mind and not one of the flesh.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Man-up! What does this mean to you?

What exactly is this teaching based upon, other than judeo-christian teachings?

Men, has this teaching hurt you in real life?

Any examples from real life welcome

Thank you

The only time I ever encountered that saying said to me personally (including in any public speech, lecture, sermon, etc.) as best I can remember was in the Southwestern United States during Jr. High school over 40 years ago, and at that time as said it meant something roughly like this --

"...man up..." --> Act more like I think you should act and play full contact football on the school team cause we need your body to help our team.

Wisely, I declined to "man up" in that way.

Of course, today,in another context and place and time it likely means something different.

I'm pessimistic that it might be meant to be something really great like: Take responsibility.

Sure, it might mean something really good like that at times. You just have to pay attention to what they are wanting.

I don't really follow men. Instead, we are to follow Christ, and do as He says.

But sometimes people can say wise things. You just have to carefully compare what they say to what Christ says, and only use what lines up fully with Him.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I were to answer this honestly, in my own opinion, the idea to "man up" is to put away childish things and submit to God's authority (1 Corinthians 13:11). It is to hunger and thirst after God's righteousness (Matthew 5:6), and to love one's wife, family, and friends and to provide for them (1 Timothy 5:8). Being a man means to prioritize the important things in life and deny oneself so that the Lord may guide him according to his will (Luke 9:23, John 3:30).
Love it. That's a lot better man up than the old kind.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
RDKirk, I really like your question, so I rephrased the title to convey that meaning. Thank you. God bless you.

The Christian meaning of "man up" was neatly expressed by Nicolaus Mourer in post #5.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hear the phrase as meaning something like "be a grown-up and take responsibility". It's especially relevant if there's some task that lies ahead that nobody wants to do, because it's unpleasant or scary or difficult or whatever, but it's gotta be done anyway -- so someone steps up and takes on the task and does it.

I like the phrase, except for its gender-specific nature; it does imply that taking responsibility is a masculine activity. I tend to avoid gendered phrases like "man up" or "be a man", if what I really mean is "be an adult". My daughter, who holds a black belt in martial arts but is not a man, tends to use the phrase "black belt up" for these situations.

Yes, I think I can see what you mean....so does woman up mean something much less, such as making a weak choice?

You make a very interesting point!

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Did you ever feel that silent voice telling you to speak up for God, talk about God, be kind or love a stranger? Did you ignore it?

good question! where did the message of what is a real man, according to jesus teachings, such as the good samaritan, get lost on our supposed Christian society here in america?

when and why did it take a turn into being something more violent?

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Coward! You are supposed to be a man, if you cannot even do that then what are you?"

"Pathetic", they all call him.

what descriptors do you think define a man in todays society?

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The unfortunate thing is that man-up usually means being mean, harsh, hard, or difficult. It does personify the values of God-centered man.

a god centered man doesn't behave this way, yet in america it has gotten twisted, do you agree?

Upvote 0