Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Huh. Interesting - especially when I hear people tell men to "don't get your panties in a knot."
I think when it's directed towards men, it is a subtle way of saying "don't be like a girl".

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I think when it's directed towards men, it is a subtle way of saying "don't be like a girl".
I know. I was making a point to DaveW that yes, it is gender/sexualized stereotyping to assign gender the the message "grow up". Ftr, I also hear girls being told to "man up" mostly in reference to stop showing emotion - just to level the playing field.

Interestingly, both phrases, when told to the opposite sex, means the same thing - stop being such a girl.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I also hear girls being told to "man up" mostly in reference to stop showing emotion - just to level the playing field.

Interestingly, both phrases, when told to the opposite sex, means the same thing - stop being such a girl.
Right....and even that is a distortion of the truth (stop being such a girl), because, like you mentioned, it's typically referring to emotion (and that shouldn't be perceived as a gendered trait). It's a double-whammy of contempt aimed at females AND human emotions. Buying into it has unhealthy results.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Huh. Interesting - especially when I hear people tell men to "don't get your panties in a knot."
That is used as an insult, like the marine drill Sargent calling his male recruits ladies.[/QUOTE]

• Friendly
Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
That is used as an insult, like the marine drill Sargent calling his male recruits ladies.
[/QUOTE]
Exactly, Dave. It's an insult. Why do they have to use gender related insults against women, just to feel like men? Can't they insult each other without resorting to using derogatory comments about women? People need to change their language about women and girls if we want society to see us as fully equal.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is used as an insult, like the marine drill Sargent calling his male recruits ladies.
Exactly. And why is it an insult to be called a "lady"?

Other gendered phrases commonly used are: "run like a girl"...."be tough like a man"---well some women can run pretty well (and not all men can).....and a lot of women I know are pretty tough and resilient. Those aren't gendered traits (and what ARE....we shouldn't really be comparing one against the other unless we're in the medical profession dealing with medical issues).

• Winner
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Right....and even that is a distortion of the truth (stop being such a girl), because, like you mentioned, it's typically referring to emotion (and that shouldn't be perceived as a gendered trait). It's a double-whammy of contempt aimed at females AND human emotions. Buying into it has unhealthy results.
In reference to this idea that human emotions are to be avoided (especially by men) I just read this article this morning. His experience shows how detrimental that can be (and how, often times, our bodies won't even allow for a long running suppression of emotions):

From the linked article------>
Love talked about the personal news that not even his close friends or family knew about.

He remembers the moment like it was yesterday. On Nov. 5, the Cavs were playing the Atlanta Hawks. It was just after halftime and something strange happened.

"I had a panic attack," Love said.

Love, who recently turned 29 in September, said he's always been a private person, particularly when it comes to revealing his feelings.

"Sure, I knew on some level that some people benefited from asking for help or opening up. I just never thought it was for me. To me, it was a form of weakness that could derail my success in sports or make me seem weird or different," Love explained.

Fellow teammate LeBron James showed his support for Love on Twitter.

When it was time to get up, he physically couldn't. Moments later, Love ran to the locker room where he was running from room to room.

"It was like my body was trying to say to me, 'You're about to die,' Love said. He was taken to the Cleveland Clinic and left the hospital with all the previous events being a blur.

Two days later the Cavs played the Bucks, Love said everything seemed to be normal. He was scoring and the team won.

But one question never left his head.

"Why was I so concerned with people finding out?" he said. That moment was a wake-up call for Love.~Kevin Love opens up about mental health: 'Everyone is going through something that we can't see'

Upvote 0