Making "The Miracle Club": How a Catholic Hollywood Director Integrated Faith in a Lourdes-Based Film

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Catholic Hollywood director Thaddeus O'Sullivan recently sat down with ChurchPOP editor Jacqueline Burkepile to discuss his latest film, "The Miracle Club."

Catholic Hollywood director Thaddeus O'Sullivan recently sat down with ChurchPOP English editor Jacqueline Burkepile to discuss his latest film, "The Miracle Club."

The film starring Kathy Bates, Maggie Smith, Agnes O’Casey, and Laura Linney, follows Irish Catholic women in various stages of life who take a pilgrimage to Lourdes looking for a miracle.

O'Sullivan gives Burkepile a behind-the-scenes look at what happened on set, how they created the Lourdes-based movie set, how his Catholic roots impacted the film's creation, and what he hopes his Catholic audience will take from it.

The Hollywood director says the movie's creators hired him to direct because of his Irish heritage. However, as an Irish Catholic, O'Sullivan says his faith helped him accurately depict Catholicism throughout the film.

"My Catholic upbringing informed everything I did," he says. "I was able to deal with things because I had experience as a Catholic."

He also provides a little history of his own Catholic upbringing.

Continued below.