Martin Scorsese, 80, announces new film about Jesus after meeting Pope Francis during a visit to the Vatican

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Martin Scorsese has announced a new project centered around Jesus after having a private audience with Pope Francis during a visit to the Vatican in Rome on Saturday.

The Academy Award winner, 80, whose latest film Killers Of The Flower Moon received a nine-minute standing ovation at Cannes, also spoke during a conference at the Vatican called The Global Aesthetics of the Catholic Imagination.

The Hollywood director, along with his wife of over twenty years, Helen Morris, had the chance to meet with the pope, who recently took a day off due to a fever amid health fears.

Afterwards, the filmmaker sat down for a conference where he revealed plans to create a movie about Jesus, reported Variety.

'I have responded to the Pope’s appeal to artists in the only way I know how: by imagining and writing a screenplay for a film about Jesus,' he explained, adding, 'And I’m about to start making it.

Continued below.

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From the article:
'There are many pathways, and I think that the one you choose depends on what culture you’re a part of. My way has been, and is, Catholicism,' he added, but later revealed that he was not a church goer.

I do not think I will be very interested in his movie.

I am very careful about what 'interpretations' of Jesus I watch ...

While we cannot expect them all to be Biblically accurate, Jesus ... Christianity ... can easily be 'misrepresented' in film ...
sometimes obviously, but also sometimes very subtly ...

I love religious movies ... but I'm discerning about it.

(Very much looking forward to Mel Gibson's sequel to The Passion.)

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Could be overkill.

Between The Chosen Series, which is excellent and now
Mel Gibson is coming out with a sequel to The Passion, another movie
about Jesus may turn people away.
I agree

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like Scorsese and hope that the outcome is actually his conversion, but forgive me if for now I'm skeptical and concerned that he won't handle the subject matter appropriately.
My thoughts ran immediately to The Last Temptation of Christ.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My thoughts ran immediately to The Last Temptation of Christ.
As they should. Scorsese is just another, among very many, people who call themselves Catholics and use the label as a shield to blaspheme until the cows come home. Most other celebrities as well as our liberal elected officials come to mind as well (as well as plenty of so-called conservatives).

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
As they should. Scorsese is just another, among very many, people who call themselves Catholics and use the label as a shield to blaspheme until the cows come home. Most other celebrities as well as our liberal elected officials come to mind as well (as well as plenty of so-called conservatives).
I agree. You are absolutely right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums