• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Making sense of making vows

Aug 20, 2010
✟8,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay, here are two making vow scenarios that I just encountered at the grocery store:

I am aware that a particular grocery item I buy is usually located in two places in that store. As I was walking through the store, I made a vow that if it was in one place and not the other I wouldn't be getting the item.

The second vow was, as I was checking out, I forgot an item that I wanted to get. I went back to the isle real quick and as I was going down the isle I said in my mind "I will get the first one I touch". I quickly reached out and touched one of the products to get it, when I saw what type it was, I did not want to get it. I did not get that grocery item, because I did not want to break my vow. I feel somewhat guilty for mentioning it on here because I feel like I should have "left the item" in the store mentally; and bringing it up here is not doing that. I feel like it may be a sin to talk about it on here.

The main point of my post, is that vows sometimes happen so quick. I am not sure that these vows are intrusive, because it felt like I made them. I don't know why I make these vows. They are unecessary; and are made so fast I seem to not have time to think about it before they are done being made in my mind. They don't feel intrusive, like disturbing intrusive thoughts I have. It feels like I am deciding to quickly make them, using information in my environment, like a product being in two places and then coming up with a vow about how I am going to react to it(?) Why do I do this? I don't know why I make vows over stuff like this, when it has no real bearing on anything (which isle I buy a product from, etc.) I also make vows about very significant things too, and I can see the logic of doing that. It could be motivated out of fear, out of wanting to not sin, out of anxiety, etc. over an important issue. But making vows over grocery items at a store, or which place I will go first in a store are insignificant non meaningful events. In these specific instances I mentioned, I wasn't feeling a compelling fear of sinning against God, etc., I just made the vows; and I don't know why. I wasn't feeling particularly anxious when I was at the store, but I could have had low level anxiety without realizing it very much, as I usually am pretty anxious.