Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The study used survey responses from 3,516 priests across 191 dioceses and eparchies in the United States.

The new analysis of a study that claims to be the largest national survey of Catholic priests conducted in more than 50 years has found, among other things, that priests describing themselves as “progressive” are practically going “extinct” among U.S. seminary graduates, with the vast majority of young ordinands describing themselves as conservative and orthodox.

Conducted by The Catholic Project, a research group at The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., the newest release focuses on polarization, generational dynamics, and the ongoing impact of the sexual-abuse crisis.

Part 1 of the survey, released last October, found that despite relatively high levels of personal well-being and fulfillment among priests as a whole, a significant percentage of priests have issues with burnout, distrust in their bishop, and fears of being falsely accused of misconduct.

The new November report highlights “several themes which have emerged from closer analysis of the quantitative data, as well as careful study of the qualitative data collected from the one-on-one interviews with priests.” The study used survey responses from 3,516 priests across 191 dioceses and eparchies in the United States.

Continued below.

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
that priests describing themselves as “progressive” are practically going “extinct” among U.S. seminary graduates, with the vast majority of young ordinands describing themselves as conservative and orthodox
That's excellent news. I almost think by default seminarians have to be super conservative cause frankly I don't think progressively-minded individuals would even consider the priesthood these days unless they're setting out to deliberately undermine and sabotage the Church. Since the Church stands opposed to all of the frontline progressive issues of the day, progressives don't generally find themselves darkening the doors of one let alone considering devoting the rest of their lives to serving her.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's excellent news. I almost think by default seminarians have to be super conservative cause frankly I don't think progressively-minded individuals would even consider the priesthood these days unless they're setting out to deliberately undermine and sabotage the Church. Since the Church stands opposed to all of the frontline progressive issues of the day, progressives don't generally find themselves darkening the doors of one let alone considering devoting the rest of their lives to serving her.
There are LOTS of progressive lay converts that are quite honest about undermining church teaching and tradition once they are in the Church believe it or not. I’ve met many just in my neck of the woods.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are LOTS of progressive lay converts that are quite honest about undermining church teaching and tradition once they are in the Church believe it or not. I’ve met many just in my neck of the woods.
At least they seem to be announcing themselves. I'm sure they're emboldened by the Synod on Synodality and the perception that it signals a more democratic Church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If this is a worldwide trend then that gives me hope for the future of the papacy as well, because this progressive coupe d'etat against the deposit of faith in the Vatican will eventually die out when they do.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Did they enter as intentional subversives?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
:crossrc:
I don't find much surprising these days.
Well that was crazy Taylor Marshall’s thesis after all, and Bella Dodd testified about it decades ago after being a part of subversion. So it’s not too far fetched.
Most converts I have met are serious believers who put the rest of us to shame.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well that was crazy Taylor Marshall’s thesis after all, and Bella Dodd testified about it decades ago after being a part of subversion. So it’s not too far fetched.

Most converts I have met are serious believers who put the rest of us to shame.
Most definitely! I agree. There are some that have openly admitted that their intent was to teach/change the Church as well. Some converts have some mighty ego issues.

Being a convert myself, I am pro-conversion/ converts. But there are some within that group that feel they have something to teach/change within the Church. I met many in RCIA and after. I could tell you stories. It also an issue within those born and raised in the Church.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Most definitely! I agree. There are some that have openly admitted that their intent was to teach/change the Church as well. Some converts have some mighty ego issues.

Being a convert myself, I am pro-conversion/ converts. But there are some within that group that feel they have something to teach/change within the Church. I met many in RCIA and after. I could tell you stories. It also an issue within those born and raised in the Church.

We need a sad face for our liking posts.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married