Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A friend and I made one last year.:) So yes, I have some experience in it. It was medieval fantasy, but the only people who did any magical stuff were the necromancers and other evil beings that lived in a former empire that had been wiped out by wars and plagues, reduced to ruins and graveyards that stretched farther than the communities in some cases. The two main kingdoms were a city state of high artistic culture, in a massive fortress built in a blossom shape. The other was a nocturnal Empire, that although artistic and cultured, focused more on industry and military. There was not much of an organized "evil" in this world, mostly just wandering droves of undead and monsters from the south, or barbarians from the north. Brigands and rogues from all over the far reaches of the ruined ancient kingdoms or the outskirts of the two current powers.

Upvote 0

Steadfast7

Holding strong to the Truth
Nov 30, 2004
Yes!
✟11,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
yes, I do currently have my own "world." It is actually more realistic than some I've made, with no magic or different creatures and races or anything, but there is an evil army sweeping down from the north, and no one seems to know its object and purpose, and no one knows exactly where it comes from.

Upvote 0

Jehane

Jul 15, 2006
✟9,200.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Loner said:
I am working a world that I made my self for a siresd of books, dose any one els like to write this kind of stuff?
Yes. I have an entire Celtic bardic world I carry around in my head; it's more fun than the real one & I get to control what goes on in it. Sometimes I write stuff down but have no interested audience & being very visual writing's a pain.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

mothcorrupteth

I have about three main worlds:

1. Stereotypes gone mad. Moderately developed, almost never used in a complete work. I made a "Traveel Guide" once for a fictional country called Russoslavia that integrated all the stereotypes of pre-Communist and Communist Russia. After that I developed other conglomerates: the goose-stepping Germandinavians who have Viking broadswords as bayonets and imperial-style Pickelhauben (spiked helmets), the waffle- and wine-loving Francobelgians, the regal Grecoromans who spend all day philosophizing about the poorest way to park their motorcars, the Netherswitzerspaniards who are notoriously neutral... I explain the world as being the direct result of intoxicated aliens accidentally destroying earth in the 1930's, then trying to reconstruct our societies based off the prevalent medium of the time: propaganda posters.

2. Postmoderny Victorian fantasy. Not very developed on a global level, but I have ideas for the cultures I want to inhabit it. It's a very whimsical world, one without any of the cliché fantasy races, that's set on a desert planet whose mild weather and hot temperatures make airships (realistic ones, not like you find in console RPGs) flourish after their Second Industrial Revolution.

3. Sci-fi historical drama. My most developed one. At the height of the Martian colonization, a pandemic wipes out the Terran population, and the colonists have to band together to survive. Years pass, and as the colonies start venturing back into space, there are tensions between those who want to preserve the federal allied structure and those who want to return to sovereignty. The federalist types are also really itchy about colonies being established in the outer solar system, where they have less control. There're questions about earth, because there are still humans surviving there, but it's Road Warrior down on the surface. Some factions don't want others gaining political/imperial influence on the survivors, and arguments about interference sharpen up all the tensions.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2006
Visit site
✟7,798.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In 7th grade (a really tough year), I buried myself in the worlds that I created. Fantasy was easier than reality.

But in writing sense, I have created one that is based on three medieval countries: Manea, Kepra, and Varda. I've created characters and cities and the evil overlord person....

Upvote 0

Lessien

It's what I do that defines me
Nov 14, 2004
You never know....
✟31,090.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have a fantasy world that's pretty well developed for a long story I'm writing, though I'm still working on some of the other countries and their customs. I can't tell you too much, but it doesn't have any magic, and the evil characters in that world aren't completely evil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godssong

Veteran
Sep 4, 2006
Florida
Visit site
✟8,865.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have a fantasy world that's pretty well developed for a long story I'm writing, though I'm still working on some of the other countries and their customs. I can't tell you too much, but it doesn't have any magic, and the evil characters in that world aren't completely evil.
I go by the same principles, myself, typically.

Upvote 0

Lessien

Nov 14, 2004
You never know....
✟31,090.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah....to quote my brother:

Only use magic if it enhances your story. If you put magic in just because you think it's cool but it doesn't do anything for your story, then take it out.

Excellent advice. ^_^

Upvote 0

Jehane

Jul 15, 2006
✟9,200.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I like Alan Garners advice which goes along the lines of magic & stories have rules too so don't go breaking the ones you've set up yourself because it just makes yur story stupid. he said it heaps better than that but that's the gist of it.

Is it just me, or does this forum lean heavily towards fantasy writers; not that I'm objecting, being one myself?

Upvote 0

Lessien

Nov 14, 2004
You never know....
✟31,090.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree. Plus, it can make people get all stuffy about your stories...

Totally. Some people think that if a fantasy story has any magic at all in it, then it's EVIL. :doh: On a certain level, that makes sense....which is the worst part....

Is it just me, or does this forum lean heavily towards fantasy writers; not that I'm objecting, being one myself?

I guess. In the Creative Writing section, a fair amount of the stuff there is non-fantasy, but a lot of the threads here I post in lean heavily toward fantasy writers....

Upvote 0