Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Define "luxury items". Are you talking something that's high quality, or something that has a "recognizable label" on it that you are buying because of the "recognizable label"?

Also, what do you consider "well off"?

For the area I live in; I'd be considered "upper middle class" as I'm above 75% of the income for the area I live in; and I live in a decent well maintained house in a working class rural community. But I still have (a very reasonable) mortgage and I drive a nearly 10 year old Subaru Forester and not a Lexus or a Benz. (There are people in this area who have Mercedes. I'm just not one of them. Not that I couldn't necessary afford one; they just aren't a brand of car that has the maintenance record I'm interested in!)

I'm all about: "What's the best bang for my buck?" Which is Scriptural. Being a good steward of your resources is Scriptural!

Personally, I like to mix and match my own creative flair and I look for things that are well made. I wouldn't call the manufactures I generally buy things like clothing from "luxury" though. I buy from manufactures like Brooks Brothers, some Free People, Anthropologie, and Banana Republic items. Some shoes from Clarks, Born, Birkenstock or Ugg. Clothing and accessories from Chaps, Coach, Shukr, Haute Hijab, Kate Spade, Barbour, Paula Nash, Spyder, The North Face, Pagoda etc and I have lots of Lanz of Salzburg flannel PJ's. LOL - But I don't know too many "well off people" who'd call those "luxury brands".

I also tend to hold onto stuff for a long time and use it till it wears out! I have a fair amount of clothing. But I don't cycle thorough stuff very quickly because I'm quite picky and won't buy an article unless I really love it. I don't make quick decisions when considering stuff that's "non-consumables". And even when I'm buying groceries, vitamins, and services like health care; I'm still looking for "best bang for my buck".

And as a result; we are generally healthy and comfortable.

I do have a few things that are pricier like Eileen Fisher, Burberry, Frye, and Tori Burch. Also I've found some nice leather, and fur coats / jackets that are well made; but I honestly don't know if they are "luxury label" or not? Some of the labels on that type of stuff; (fur and high quality wool coats) I've never looked up. (Found them in consignment shops.) I did recently snag a pair of "gently loved" Golden Goose sneakers off of Poshmark for $250. But I bought those because I've heard lots of people I watch on YouTube say they are the most comfortable sneakers they've ever worn. (I do watch "slow fashion" "influencers" on YouTube.) (And Golden Goose sneakers are comfortable. I'd buy another pair of them; I just wouldn't pay $600!)

I'd also be interested in trying something like a Gloria Bearden blazer or Mosey jeans. My kitchen is filled with brands I've found at Williams Sonoma and much of our linens came from Pottery Barn; but personally, I have no interest in something like Coco Chenille, Gucci, Prada or Louis Vuitton. Only shopping I've ever done in places like Nordstrom's or Sacks 5th Ave is on the clearance racks in their outlet stores and I've NEVER bought anything in Neiman Marcus. I actually think it's entertaining to go in there and giggle at the outrageous prices! :swoon:
$3000. for a denim shirt someone hand stitched ostrich feathers on? Now THAT'S funny! :sohappy:

I think it's silly to pay that much money for stuff that half the time isn't well enough made beyond the price of things I'm already buying. The real cost of quality can only go so high. Beyond good quality; you're just paying for "fluffy names" someone slapped on a product.

I do like interesting and unique things that are well made. But $6000+ for a purse is silly because in the end; this earth and everything in it will burn up. I'd rather spend $2000 on a sewing machine and make my own "up-cycle styles" than pay thousands of dollars for someone else's name; whom according to Scripture their items will just come to dust and they themselves will probably end up in the Lake of Fire! That's the best Scriptural argument I have against paying that kind of money for just "stuff".

Like I've said; I do appreciate well made items; but I don't pay full price for anything either. I buy "higher end" things off Poshmark, eBay, ThreadUp or The Real Real. I've even found decent stuff at the GoodWill and consignment shops. Most of my Coach and Kate Spade stuff came from 2nd hand stores. And I've bought mostly gold and silver jewelry from estate sales and small "mom and pop" antique stores. I like checking places like that out. They often also contain good history lessons!

But for me, the real adventure is in finding the deal; not necessarily "the name" and of course never spending retail for anything!

So if that's what you mean by "luxury items" (well made things); no, I wouldn't say that's "sinful"; particularly if you are using these items "up" and not wasting them. I also don't "buy trends" because they are trends. I'll buy a "trend" that I really like and will wear whether it's "in" or "out"; but I would not say I have a "typical wardrobe" either. I have a rather "artsy" style of dress and a lot of unique items.

But if you're buying "names" to show off the "name" then it might be worth asking yourself "Why am I doing this?"

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Why buy gold when there are still hungry people in the world? Not very Christlike.
I would assume you being from Nigeria; would understand fiat currency devaluation and why people buy gold?
Do you realize that Jesus Christ himself paid for material things in gold and silver coins?
The Roman Empire was "on the gold standard".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pythagon

Use Your Time Wisely
Sep 22, 2023
Niger
✟10,426.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I would assume you being from Nigeria; would understand fiat currency devaluation and why people buy gold?
Do you realize that Jesus Christ himself paid for material things in gold and silver coins?
The Roman Empire was "on the gold standard".
Yeah, I understand using gold that way.

What I question is the morality of piling up money, buying expensive clothes, golden chains, sport cars and other luxury items.
When people around you struggle to get their daily meal.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I understand using gold that way.

What I question is the morality of piling up money, buying expensive clothes, golden chains, sport cars and other luxury items.
When people around you struggle to get their daily meal.
Did you read this entire thread? The OP posted the question in the context of still providing assistance to other people.

Gold and silver are probably one of the safest hedges against inflation; because jewelry is easy to sell and trade for other products. Yeah, one could turn around and sell luxury items (if you can find a buyer); but gold and silver are generally in higher demand than cars, clothing or other wares. If you bought an ounce of gold for $100. a year ago and two years later you can sell that ounce of gold for $3000. and buy the hungry neighbor a couple of chickens; you are than like the servant who multiplied his talents. Read Matthew 25:14-30.

You are more useful in the end if you have the resource to sell later; when yourself and likely others around you are in greater need of that resource.

There will always be people for various reasons who are short of food. Jesus said "You have the poor with you always; but you won't always have me....." This was in reference to the disciples getting all bent out of shape at a woman who poured costly perfume over Jesus's head. He didn't chastise her for her decision of how she used her resources. (Read Matthew 26:6-13)

Also in a similar context; it tells us that Judas was the one who got the most upset because he was the one embezzling the money. (John 12:1-8)

Thus often ones who are so quick to accuse others of greed; are often guilty of greater sin. That person you chastised for buying gold or silver; may very well be the one who feeds you 2 years later! So, don't judge another man's servant. To his own master he stands or falls. (Romans 14:1-8)

Upvote 0
May 28, 2011
Toronto, ON.
✟9,216.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Define "luxury items". Are you talking something that's high quality, or something that has a "recognizable label" on it that you are buying because of the "recognizable label"?

Also, what do you consider "well off"?

For the area I live in; I'd be considered "upper middle class" as I'm above 75% of the income for the area I live in; and I live in a decent well maintained house in a working class rural community. But I still have (a very reasonable) mortgage and I drive a nearly 10 year old Subaru Forester and not a Lexus or a Benz. (There are people in this area who have Mercedes. I'm just not one of them. Not that I couldn't necessary afford one; they just aren't a brand of car that has the maintenance record I'm interested in!)

I'm all about: "What's the best bang for my buck?" Which is Scriptural. Being a good steward of your resources is Scriptural!

Personally, I like to mix and match my own creative flair and I look for things that are well made. I wouldn't call the manufactures I generally buy things like clothing from "luxury" though. I buy from manufactures like Brooks Brothers, some Free People, Anthropologie, and Banana Republic items. Some shoes from Clarks, Born, Birkenstock or Ugg. Clothing and accessories from Chaps, Coach, Shukr, Haute Hijab, Kate Spade, Barbour, Paula Nash, Spyder, The North Face, Pagoda etc and I have lots of Lanz of Salzburg flannel PJ's. LOL - But I don't know too many "well off people" who'd call those "luxury brands".

I also tend to hold onto stuff for a long time and use it till it wears out! I have a fair amount of clothing. But I don't cycle thorough stuff very quickly because I'm quite picky and won't buy an article unless I really love it. I don't make quick decisions when considering stuff that's "non-consumables". And even when I'm buying groceries, vitamins, and services like health care; I'm still looking for "best bang for my buck".

And as a result; we are generally healthy and comfortable.

I do have a few things that are pricier like Eileen Fisher, Burberry, Frye, and Tori Burch. Also I've found some nice leather, and fur coats / jackets that are well made; but I honestly don't know if they are "luxury label" or not? Some of the labels on that type of stuff; (fur and high quality wool coats) I've never looked up. (Found them in consignment shops.) I did recently snag a pair of "gently loved" Golden Goose sneakers off of Poshmark for $250. But I bought those because I've heard lots of people I watch on YouTube say they are the most comfortable sneakers they've ever worn. (I do watch "slow fashion" "influencers" on YouTube.) (And Golden Goose sneakers are comfortable. I'd buy another pair of them; I just wouldn't pay $600!)

I'd also be interested in trying something like a Gloria Bearden blazer or Mosey jeans. My kitchen is filled with brands I've found at Williams Sonoma and much of our linens came from Pottery Barn; but personally, I have no interest in something like Coco Chenille, Gucci, Prada or Louis Vuitton. Only shopping I've ever done in places like Nordstrom's or Sacks 5th Ave is on the clearance racks in their outlet stores and I've NEVER bought anything in Neiman Marcus. I actually think it's entertaining to go in there and giggle at the outrageous prices! :swoon:
$3000. for a denim shirt someone hand stitched ostrich feathers on? Now THAT'S funny! :sohappy:

I think it's silly to pay that much money for stuff that half the time isn't well enough made beyond the price of things I'm already buying. The real cost of quality can only go so high. Beyond good quality; you're just paying for "fluffy names" someone slapped on a product.

I do like interesting and unique things that are well made. But $6000+ for a purse is silly because in the end; this earth and everything in it will burn up. I'd rather spend $2000 on a sewing machine and make my own "up-cycle styles" than pay thousands of dollars for someone else's name; whom according to Scripture their items will just come to dust and they themselves will probably end up in the Lake of Fire! That's the best Scriptural argument I have against paying that kind of money for just "stuff".

Like I've said; I do appreciate well made items; but I don't pay full price for anything either. I buy "higher end" things off Poshmark, eBay, ThreadUp or The Real Real. I've even found decent stuff at the GoodWill and consignment shops. Most of my Coach and Kate Spade stuff came from 2nd hand stores. And I've bought mostly gold and silver jewelry from estate sales and small "mom and pop" antique stores. I like checking places like that out. They often also contain good history lessons!

But for me, the real adventure is in finding the deal; not necessarily "the name" and of course never spending retail for anything!

So if that's what you mean by "luxury items" (well made things); no, I wouldn't say that's "sinful"; particularly if you are using these items "up" and not wasting them. I also don't "buy trends" because they are trends. I'll buy a "trend" that I really like and will wear whether it's "in" or "out"; but I would not say I have a "typical wardrobe" either. I have a rather "artsy" style of dress and a lot of unique items.

But if you're buying "names" to show off the "name" then it might be worth asking yourself "Why am I doing this?"
Thanks for your response! I so appreciate it. Yes by luxury items I meant like Louis Vuitton purses, Gucci etc. But lately God has been doing a work in my heart, and I no longer shop for such items or necessary even want them.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2011
Toronto, ON.
✟9,216.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Did you read this entire thread? The OP posted the question in the context of still providing assistance to other people.

Gold and silver are probably one of the safest hedges against inflation; because jewelry is easy to sell and trade for other products. Yeah, one could turn around and sell luxury items (if you can find a buyer); but gold and silver are generally in higher demand than cars, clothing or other wares. If you bought an ounce of gold for $100. a year ago and two years later you can sell that ounce of gold for $3000. and buy the hungry neighbor a couple of chickens; you are than like the servant who multiplied his talents. Read Matthew 25:14-30.

You are more useful in the end if you have the resource to sell later; when yourself and likely others around you are in greater need of that resource.

There will always be people for various reasons who are short of food. Jesus said "You have the poor with you always; but you won't always have me....." This was in reference to the disciples getting all bent out of shape at a woman who poured costly perfume over Jesus's head. He didn't chastise her for her decision of how she used her resources. (Read Matthew 26:6-13)

Also in a similar context; it tells us that Judas was the one who got the most upset because he was the one embezzling the money. (John 12:1-8)

Thus often ones who are so quick to accuse others of greed; are often guilty of greater sin. That person you chastised for buying gold or silver; may very well be the one who feeds you 2 years later! So, don't judge another man's servant. To his own master he stands or falls. (Romans 14:1-8)
Thank you for your wisdom, I really appreciate it. My husband and I have invested in gold, and silver as well. I believe it's wise to have those in hand for trade purposes etc. If you can afford to buy it, I would say it's wise to do so.

Upvote 0