Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Ok, but that doesn't answer the question, which is ultimately why does Abraham have faith?

I think it does ... or at least v.8 & 17 give a synopsis of it. The full explanation of why Abraham had faith is the story in Genesis. And the story of why Lot's wife didn't have faith is also in Genesis.

If you're asking for some clinical, mechanistic explanation you're not going to find it. There is no predictive way for us to know who will and won't have faith. Further, to ask such a question is very presumptive. If such a thing is possible, it is a request to be God.

But I'm saying it's logically impossible to know. You can determine why after by hearing someone's story - their testimony. But it can't be determined before.

No, not really. Satan was created by God (at least, according to most interpretations). So, Satan was created by God, Satan rebelled against God, Satan works in the world to draw people away, which led to the fall, which led to sinful natures, which led to more sin, etc. God didn't create Satan to sin, but God gave Satan the ability to choose sin knowing what Satan would choose.

So? Why did Satan rebel? You say that's the important question, so you need to answer it.

Did God create him to rebel? You say no, but neither did God create us to sin, so what's the difference? God gave Satan the ability to choose. He gave us the ability to choose. All you've done is push these questions from people to angels.

Yes, but I think you're missing the point. If God, before the foundation of the world, knew what would happen if he chose to create in the way that he did, and he was absolutely opposed to some of the outcomes that came from that choice, he could have chosen to create in a different way.

I'm not missing the point, nor am I saying what you think I'm saying. I'm rejecting your premise. I'm saying you are ascribing to God the logically impossible. God doesn't know what is impossible to know, and so he has no responsibility for it. No "election".

It goes back to what I said before. God has a hierarchy of desire (at least, that's how he has revealed himself in scripture). God wants NO ONE to sin, yet God creates a world where sin happens. That's because God must want creatures to have the freedom to sin more than he wants a world without sin. If God wanted a world without sin more, he would have created people so that they never sin!

God gave us freedom, but that doesn't mean he "must want creatures to have the freedom to sin".

You never really responded to what I said about chaos. An important idea to grasp is that of emergence - that something new and unpredictable can come from what currently exists. Evil emerged from chaos, but there is no way to predict that is what would happen just from what is known of chaos.

As an (overly) simple example of emergence, consider the following: Add two numbers.

We know what numbers are and we know how to add them. Yet, since there are an infinite many numbers, it is impossible to predict what two numbers someone might choose to add. Say they choose to add 7 + 11 = 18. After they add, because of our knowledge of numbers, it is easy to confirm the result.

In mathematics this is known as the P = NP problem, and it is the basis of all encryption done by computers.

Now, we can force a specific result by changing the question: Add 3 and 5. Now we know the result will be 3 + 5 = 8.

It is the same with God. He knows all that can be known. He can cause a future result if he chooses. But he doesn't necessarily cause all future events, and the ones he doesn't cause are logically impossible to know. No responsibility for those future events. No election.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jinc1019

Christian
Mar 22, 2012
North Carolina
✟17,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think it does ... or at least v.8 & 17 give a synopsis of it. The full explanation of why Abraham had faith is the story in Genesis. And the story of why Lot's wife didn't have faith is also in Genesis.

Ok, what is it? I don't see anything that explains what the reason actually was.

If you're asking for some clinical, mechanistic explanation you're not going to find it. There is no predictive way for us to know who will and won't have faith. Further, to ask such a question is very presumptive. If such a thing is possible, it is a request to be God.

But I'm saying it's logically impossible to know. You can determine why after by hearing someone's story - their testimony. But it can't be determined before.

This has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I'm not looking for a way to predict who will and who won't have faith. I'm also not "requesting to be God." See my answer at the end.

So? Why did Satan rebel? You say that's the important question, so you need to answer it.

Did God create him to rebel? You say no, but neither did God create us to sin, so what's the difference? God gave Satan the ability to choose. He gave us the ability to choose. All you've done is push these questions from people to angels.

All we know is what the Bible tells us, right? And what does the Bible tell us about his purpose for creating Satan and what the reasons were for Satan's rebellion? Very, very little, so I can't answer your question. I can, however, say why man sins, because the Bible tells me. Man was created free, Satan lured man away from God, man now has a fallen nature. Man's fallen nature causes evil to exist, along with the work of other evil forces. This is WHY people choose to reject God, because forces of evil pull them away. Where do those forces come from? Other people with fallen natures and other works of Satan, going all the way back to the first moment in the garden. That's what the Bible teaches. It doesn't tell us much about why Satan chose to reject God, assuming that whole interpretation about Satan being a fallen angel is correct.

I'm not missing the point, nor am I saying what you think I'm saying. I'm rejecting your premise. I'm saying you are ascribing to God the logically impossible. God doesn't know what it is impossible to know, and so he has no responsibility for it. No "election".

I have no idea what you're saying here. Nothing is impossible for God to know. We're not talking about anything "logically impossible."

God gave us freedom, but that doesn't mean he "must want creatures to have the freedom to sin".

You never really responded to what I said about chaos. An important idea to grasp is that of emergence - that something new and unpredictable can come from what currently exists. Evil emerged from chaos, but there is no way to predict that is what would happen just from what is known of chaos.

I didn't address it because my position, which I did address, totally rejects the entire foundation of your position. I don't believe "chaos" is possible from God's perspective. God knows everything that will happen before it happens. God created the world knowing all that would come from that choice. That was a decision on God's part to produce what you call "chaos," which implies a lack of design. I reject that totally, and I'd love to see where in scripture the "chaos" theory plays out. At every turn, we hear about how God designed this or planned that or used this for good. I don't see anything about chaos or randomness anywhere.

It is the same with God. He knows all that can be known. He can cause a future result if he chooses. But he doesn't necessarily cause all future events, and the ones he doesn't cause are logically impossible to know. No responsibility for those future events. No election.

No one is saying God causes all future events. And no one is saying God has responsibility for all future events in the way you're describing. What I am saying is that before the foundation of the world, before God created anything, God could have chosen to set in motion any sort of world he desired, right? God could have made it so all creatures floated up in the air or lived on Mars or swam in the ocean, right? God could have designed his creation any way he wanted, and if God had chosen to create the world in any other way than the one he actually did, then things would have turned out differently. If we're floating around in the air all the time, history could not have been exactly the same as it ended up being. God, who has perfect foreknowledge, knowing all that would result from an infinite number of possible creations and subsequent acts (whether those acts are the result of your understanding of free will or not is irrelevant), chose to create the world THIS WAY ... the way we are currently living. If he had chosen to create some other world with some other set of conditions, everything would have been different. Even if small changes had been made, the whole of history would have been different. As I mentioned before, if Jesus had been Chinese and the chosen people were the people of China, the history of the world would have been radically different.

By choosing to create the world the way he did, knowing all that would happen as a result of that choice, he effectively CHOSE this existence. This does not mean God wants everything to occur that does occur or that he designs every single event. It simply means God is more pleased with this universe and all of its events than any other universe that could have occurred, including all past, present, and future events. The only way around this is for any of the following to be true, 1. Accept open-theism; 2. Reject the idea God knows everything that's going to happen before it happens; 3. Reject monotheism; 4. Reject the idea God created the world; 5. Believe there are multiple universes we aren't aware of.

If you don't accept any of those five points, then you must, based on logic, accept my argument. Even if you believe "chaos" exists, you have to acknowledge God foresaw the chaos, could have prevented it, chose to create this universe knowing these "chaotic" conditions would occur, chose to create the universe any way, and could have created the universe in a different way so that the "chaos" didn't exist. By choosing to create the universe the way he did, God effectively sanctioned the sum total of all events that have ever occurred and will ever occur as more pleasing than any other possible universe. This is just simple logic, but it's difficult to explain and understand.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This is where it gets interesting. "I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer, and Biblical exegesis is certainly useful. However, those can also be used to dissemble, hide, and reject things out of hand. There is no way to prove when that line has been crossed, but sometimes it starts to feel that way. I hope we don't go there, but we seem to be getting close.

I know this thread began because of issues you have with Lutheran views on predestination, but I got the impression it went deeper than that. It seemed you were uncomfortable with how you were being led to issues of the source of evil, people's lack of faith, a lack of witness in some places, and God's responsibility for those things. If that's not true - if you're fine with ascribing God responsibility for evil, etc. ... or if you're satisfied you can answer why he's not responsible - then maybe we're ready to draw this to a close. I would think you're wrong, but I would also realize I probably can't change your mind.

As best I know, I always agree with the conclusions of Confessional Lutherans (and specifically the LCMS), but the means by which we reach those conclusions are sometimes different. Predestination is one case. I agree with what the LCMS concludes about predestination, but I hate how they get to that conclusion and how they explain it. I can live with that for several reasons. 1) I know my arguments are sometimes speculative and weak on scriptural support, 2) All the alternatives people have proposed are equally weak in scriptural support and don't make sense to me, 3) my salvation doesn't depend on it. God will forgive my errors.

If, however, those things are bothering you, I am trying to suggest that you need to change one of your assumptions ... and they are assumptions. Many of the things you claim as "well known", "certain", etc. are just an opinion. Maybe a widely held opinion, but an opinion nonetheless. So, from this point forward it will do no good to make those types of statements. You need to support your position.

Now, with respect to Satan, I am saying you haven't answered the "why" question. Though powerful, he is not God's evil twin. He is created and finite. Therefore, Satan (and other demons) are not the reason for every sin. Satan was an actor in Eden that contributed to Eve's fall, but that doesn't mean he was necessary. That fall did lead to our current broken nature (the source of sin for you and me), but if you're going to argue that even if he doesn't cause all current sin, he was an essential part of the chain that led to where we are, then you have to follow the chain to its beginning to satisfactorily answer why.

All we know is what the Bible tells us, right?

No, not really. That seems like the abuse of sola scriptura I see so often. Scripture is the final authority, but that doesn't mean it's all we know.

Ok, what is it? I don't see anything that explains what the reason actually was.

Based on your response, maybe I chose the wrong words, but it still seems you're looking for a definitive answer - a verse that says, "X caused Abraham's faith." A lot of people want that definitive answer, but you're not going to find it. The story is the answer. Given our differences, I should just quote you the entire section of Genesis dealing with Abraham. However, I will give you what I conclude:
* God shocked Abraham into action with a miraculous event
* Abraham responded out of a sense of fear and obedience
* As Abraham's relationship with God grew, he came to trust him. He saw first hand that God was faithful to his promises.
* As a result of experience and the trust it built, Abraham developed faith.

No one is saying God causes all future events. And no one is saying God has responsibility for all future events in the way you're describing. What I am saying is that before the foundation of the world, before God created anything, God could have chosen to set in motion any sort of world he desired, right?

Yes.

God, who has perfect foreknowledge, knowing all that would result from an infinite number of possible creations and subsequent acts (whether those acts are the result of your understanding of free will or not is irrelevant), chose to create the world THIS WAY ... the way we are currently living. If he had chosen to create some other world with some other set of conditions, everything would have been different.

Yet here you ascribe to God the very responsibility you denied in the previous statement: God made it happen this way. God knew it would happen this way. God could have made it happen differently, but he didn't.

By that reasoning, God is responsible for evil. Are you familiar with the different types of "cause"? If not, you might want to check it out. Cause doesn't always mean direct cause.

If you don't accept any of those five points, then you must, based on logic, accept my argument.

I will agree that your conclusions follow from your assumptions. It's a path many have taken, but one I find unacceptable. I don't know that your 5 points are all-inclusive of the alternatives, nor that your phrasing matches with what I've said. It is obvious to me that you don't yet understand my position. However, in a loose sense, I am stating something like #2: "Reject the idea God knows everything that's going to happen before it happens".

I didn't address it because my position, which I did address, totally rejects the entire foundation of your position.

OK, but you didn't explain why you think my position is wrong.

I don't believe "chaos" is possible from God's perspective. God knows everything that will happen before it happens. God created the world knowing all that would come from that choice. That was a decision on God's part to produce what you call "chaos," which implies a lack of design. I reject that totally, and I'd love to see where in scripture the "chaos" theory plays out. At every turn, we hear about how God designed this or planned that or used this for good. I don't see anything about chaos or randomness anywhere.

I would reject what you have stated as well, which, again, indicates you don't understand me. Regardless, as I said very early on, I realize much of my position is speculation, but there is some minimal scriptural support. It also depends on how your version of the Bible translates certain verses, which is also something I mentioned earlier in this post. But, I'll point you to a few places.

Gen 1:1-2 is sometimes translated as the chaos of the early creation before God brought order to it.

Isaiah 24 is sometimes called the chaos chapter. Some translations (such as the NASB) actually use the word "chaos" in v.10 when they translate that chapter. Throughout the various verses different translations use different words: confusion, disorder, etc.

So, am I to receive the same consideration when I "synthesize" (the word you used earlier), as you asked for earlier?

1 Cor 14:33 when translated as "disorder" speaks more to the view I am espousing than other translations do. Here it is clearly proclaimed that God is not a god of disorder (i.e. chaos). I absolutely accept that, yet by proclaiming such a thing there is a tacit admission that disorder exists. If God created everything, and God is not disorder, then where did disorder come from? My answer is Augustinian in nature. Disorder is not a "thing", but an absence of order.

The most interesting verse is James 3:16 because it connects disorder and evil.
For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing.

In this verse evil and disorder are both listed, which to me implies they are separate yet connected. That is why I said I view evil as an emergent property of certain kinds of disorder.

Upvote 0

jinc1019

Christian
Mar 22, 2012
North Carolina
✟17,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Now, with respect to Satan, I am saying you haven't answered the "why" question. Though powerful, he is not God's evil twin. He is created and finite. Therefore, Satan (and other demons) are not the reason for every sin. Satan was an actor in Eden that contributed to Eve's fall, but that doesn't mean he was necessary. That fall did lead to our current broken nature (the source of sin for you and me), but if you're going to argue that even if he doesn't cause all current sin, he was an essential part of the chain that led to where we are, then you have to follow the chain to its beginning to satisfactorily answer why.

I never said Satan was necessary, and you're wrong that I must "follow the chain to its beginning to satisfactorily answer why." All I need to do (and can do) is follow the chain back as far the Bible explains to me. It doesn't tell me the answers you're demanding, so I can't answer those questions. I agree that you can find information outside of scripture, but there is no information outside of scripture that definitely answers this question either. I don't know why Satan did it, but I believe that's where it started. That's where evil in this world comes from. It comes from Satan's work in the Garden.

Based on your response, maybe I chose the wrong words, but it still seems you're looking for a definitive answer - a verse that says, "X caused Abraham's faith." A lot of people want that definitive answer, but you're not going to find it. The story is the answer. Given our differences, I should just quote you the entire section of Genesis dealing with Abraham. However, I will give you what I conclude:
* God shocked Abraham into action with a miraculous event
* Abraham responded out of a sense of fear and obedience
* As Abraham's relationship with God grew, he came to trust him. He saw first hand that God was faithful to his promises.
* As a result of experience and the trust it built, Abraham developed faith.

I agree with everything you say here. I just don't think you've really answered the question fully. When you say "Abraham responded out of a sense of fear and obedience," you aren't explaining why he had a sense of "fear" or "obedience." A confessional Lutheran view would say the Holy Spirit is the reason he had those things, and I'd agree with that. The question we are debating is why other people don't respond in fear and obedience when confronted with the Holy Spirit. Why is that? I say it's because forces of evil lead them away, causing them to make that choice (rejection), which can be traced all the way back to Satan's work in the Garden.

Yet here you ascribe to God the very responsibility you denied in the previous statement: God made it happen this way. God knew it would happen this way. God could have made it happen differently, but he didn't.

By that reasoning, God is responsible for evil. Are you familiar with the different types of "cause"? If not, you might want to check it out. Cause doesn't always mean direct cause.

Perhaps I haven't been clear enough, but I think I have explained over and over that I'm NOT talking about a "direct cause." I'm not saying God "caused" the rejection of faith at all. You're right; that would make him the author of evil. The mistake you keep making (when analyzing my view) is associating "cause" with "God's plan." Everything that happens is part of God's plan, but that's not because God "causes" it to happen, it's because God allows evil to happen freely as a part of his plan, and he uses that evil to ultimately accomplish his purposes (just as he does when he allows Joseph to be sold by his brothers).

I will agree that your conclusions follow from your assumptions. It's a path many have taken, but one I find unacceptable. I don't know that your 5 points are all-inclusive of the alternatives, nor that your phrasing matches with what I've said. It is obvious to me that you don't yet understand my position. However, in a loose sense, I am stating something like #2: "Reject the idea God knows everything that's going to happen before it happens".

I am assuming this goes back to your view of "chaos." I'm not sure how you can reject this view, and I think this is probably why we keep talking past one another.

OK, but you didn't explain why you think my position is wrong.

That's because my entire answer explains why I think you are wrong. There can't be "chaos," or anything not known beforehand by God, in my understanding of things.

I would reject what you have stated as well, which, again, indicates you don't understand me. Regardless, as I said very early on, I realize much of my position is speculation, but there is some minimal scriptural support. It also depends on how your version of the Bible translates certain verses, which is also something I mentioned earlier in this post. But, I'll point you to a few places.

Gen 1:1-2 is sometimes translated as the chaos of the early creation before God brought order to it.

Isaiah 24 is sometimes called the chaos chapter. Some translations (such as the NASB) actually use the word "chaos" in v.10 when they translate that chapter. Throughout the various verses different translations use different words: confusion, disorder, etc.

So, am I to receive the same consideration when I "synthesize" (the word you used earlier), as you asked for earlier?

1 Cor 14:33 when translated as "disorder" speaks more to the view I am espousing than other translations do. Here it is clearly proclaimed that God is not a god of disorder (i.e. chaos). I absolutely accept that, yet by proclaiming such a thing there is a tacit admission that disorder exists. If God created everything, and God is not disorder, then where did disorder come from? My answer is Augustinian in nature. Disorder is not a "thing", but an absence of order.

The most interesting verse is James 3:16 because it connects disorder and evil.
For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing.

In this verse evil and disorder are both listed, which to me implies they are separate yet connected. That is why I said I view evil as an emergent property of certain kinds of disorder.

I don't disagree with that "disorder" is a result of the fall, and I suppose you could say it's a necessity when finite beings exist, as Lewis said, but I think that might be going too far based on what we read in Genesis about the pre-fall world. But a lack of "order" on Earth does not mean there's not a larger plan at work by God, and that's my position. No matter how much chaos and disorder exists from our perspective, God's plan is at work, and God's plan is to redeem the world. Because God's plan is inherently limited (by His choice) because the sacraments and Word are limited in who they can reach, how they can reach them, etc., not everyone is saved. Some people reject God because opposing forces pull them away, but God's goal is still to bring all people to faith; he just knows it's not going to happen for everyone because his desire to bring people to faith through a limited means (the church) will naturally result in some people never coming to faith. So, God desires to save everyone, but he also desires to save them in a specific way, which naturally results in not everyone being saved. God knows this, and it's all part of his plan. Again, the sum total of his plan is pleasing to him even if certain individual parts are not. Just like getting an education is pleasing to most people, even though that comes with student loans, which no one wants.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Just some cleanup work ... I'll get to my main question toward the end.

It doesn't tell me the answers you're demanding, so I can't answer those questions.

OK.

I agree with everything you say here. I just don't think you've really answered the question fully.

I think I have.

The question we are debating is why other people don't respond in fear and obedience when confronted with the Holy Spirit.

And I'm saying you would have to read/hear their story. It would be specific to the person in question.

Just as you draw the line on Satan at what scripture says about Satan, wouldn't you draw the line on Abraham at what scripture says about Abraham? Therefore, if an answer is to be had for Abraham, wouldn't it be in his story? And likewise for the stories of unbelievers in scripture?

Perhaps I haven't been clear enough, but I think I have explained over and over that I'm NOT talking about a "direct cause." I'm not saying God "caused" the rejection of faith at all. You're right; that would make him the author of evil. The mistake you keep making (when analyzing my view) is associating "cause" with "God's plan." Everything that happens is part of God's plan, but that's not because God "causes" it to happen, it's because God allows evil to happen freely as a part of his plan, and he uses that evil to ultimately accomplish his purposes (just as he does when he allows Joseph to be sold by his brothers).

I disagree. And I understand you're not speaking of a direct cause. That's why I brought up the different types of cause. What you're talking about is a type of indirect cause called the "proximate cause", and in many legal systems proximate cause is considered sufficient for assigning guilt. See, for example, here: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/indirect+cause

I don't disagree with that "disorder" is a result of the fall, and I suppose you could say it's a necessity when finite beings exist, as Lewis said, but I think that might be going too far based on what we read in Genesis about the pre-fall world. But a lack of "order" on Earth does not mean there's not a larger plan at work by God, and that's my position. No matter how much chaos and disorder exists from our perspective, God's plan is at work, and God's plan is to redeem the world.

I agree.

Because God's plan is inherently limited (by His choice) because the sacraments and Word are limited in who they can reach, how they can reach them, etc., not everyone is saved.

But I disagree about the limits you impose.

- - -

So, I think the main question I'm interested in got lost in my last post. Therefore, I'll repeat it: Is your main issue a difference with Confessional Lutheran theology, or are you uncomfortable with some of the conclusions stemming from your own view?

Reactions: jinc1019
Upvote 0

jinc1019

Christian
Mar 22, 2012
North Carolina
✟17,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just some cleanup work ... I'll get to my main question toward the end.

OK.

I think I have.

And I'm saying you would have to read/hear their story. It would be specific to the person in question.

Just as you draw the line on Satan at what scripture says about Satan, wouldn't you draw the line on Abraham at what scripture says about Abraham? Therefore, if an answer is to be had for Abraham, wouldn't it be in his story? And likewise for the stories of unbelievers in scripture?

I disagree. And I understand you're not speaking of a direct cause. That's why I brought up the different types of cause. What you're talking about is a type of indirect cause called the "proximate cause", and in many legal systems proximate cause is considered sufficient for assigning guilt. See, for example, here: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/indirect+cause

I agree.

But I disagree about the limits you impose.

- - -

So, I think the main question I'm interested in got lost in my last post. Therefore, I'll repeat it: Is your main issue a difference with Confessional Lutheran theology, or are you uncomfortable with some of the conclusions stemming from your own view?

I'd like to be a Confessional Lutheran, truthfully, but I don't feel as though I can honestly sign on to the "single" predestination view so adamantly espoused in the Book of Concord. The BOC doesn't really go into much detail about it, which is good I think, but it does clearly reject any possibility of God predestinating some people to a life without faith by passing people over. My view, at the very least, leaves the door open to the possibility God passes over people in the sense that he has ordained specific means of grace that he knew would only save some people and not others when he ordained them. He knew exactly who would be saved by his means of grace and exactly who wouldn't be saved by them. In my view, God also had the power to alter history so that other people would be saved instead or to change his means of grace so more people would be saved by them. In that sense, God sort of passes over some people. I think this is simply the logical end of synthesizing multiple clear statements in scripture on these points. I know you don't agree with my assessment, obviously, but that's the issue for me. I don't see any way around the idea that God chose his means of grace knowing who would be saved by them and who wouldn't, thus, in essence, electing them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the largest difference between us is really why people choose to reject God. You seem to think it's some sort of internal choice made by people. That choice could be affected by external factors, such as family or church, but it's still ultimately a decision each person who experiences God's grace has an opportunity to make. A person who rejects God's grace could just as easily choose to accept it. I think this is wrong for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it turns the choice into an arbitrary one or it makes some people better than others (genetically, or whatever). If two people both receive God's grace, but one rejects it and one accepts it, there has to be a reason why the person rejecting made that choice. And whether it's genetics, life experiences, or some other similar factor, it's all something that ultimately can be traced back to some decision God made in the past.

Perhaps I'm 100 percent wrong about all this, but that's the best I've been able to come up with ... for better or worse.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to be a Confessional Lutheran, truthfully, but I don't feel as though I can honestly sign on to the "single" predestination view so adamantly espoused in the Book of Concord.

I'm glad you're taking this seriously; many don't. However, there's no such thing as a perfect church. If that's what you're looking for, you won't find it. I realize everyone has a "deal breaker", and maybe this is it for you, but whatever church you attend, you will have to accept imperfection. There are some excellent resources on that topic. One of my personal favorites is Life Together by Bonhoeffer.

Likewise, you have to accept that there is imperfection in you. One of my favorite stories is of a catechumen in the Orthodox Church who was on the verge of leaving. He said to the priest, "I just can't accept what you're saying as part of my faith." The priest replied, "Your faith? But my son, it isn't your faith." There may be some theological quibbles with the story, but the sentiment is right. Don't think that joining a church means your struggles with theology are over.

Faith is not once and done. It's a daily thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the largest difference between us is really why people choose to reject God. You seem to think it's some sort of internal choice made by people. That choice could be affected by external factors, such as family or church, but it's still ultimately a decision each person who experiences God's grace has an opportunity to make.

Yes, that's basically it. Ezekiel 18 (especially v.20) focuses on individual responsibility, and Jesus seemed to concur in Luke 13.

A person who rejects God's grace could just as easily choose to accept it. I think this is wrong for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it turns the choice into an arbitrary one or it makes some people better than others (genetically, or whatever).

But I wouldn't go this far. No one accepts it. They must be drawn to faith (John 6:44), and so no person is better than another (in the context of salvation). Is that why you push sin to an external cause? So that no person is better than another? You have to be careful here. In talking of people "accepting" Christ you take the first dangerous step toward works righteousness, while on the flip side putting so much emphasis on external causes risks absolving everyone of responsibility. That's a pretty cruel god who punishes people when they don't bear responsibility for their sin.

I know you don't agree with my assessment, obviously, but that's the issue for me.

You're right, I don't agree. So you answered the first part about your thoughts on Confessional Lutheranism. What about the second part? Are you comfortable with your answer to the issue? Again, I sense uneasiness from you, but maybe I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Predestination is a secondary doctrine in Lutheranism. It's just not that important to how the theology works. It's not a rationalistic, intellectual system like Calvinism, full of speculation into the divine nature. But that is an advantage, it's the only western form of Christianity that acknowledges God's mysteries to this degree. Only what is necessary for your salvation is known.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Shane2336

Slave of Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2016
AZ (Most of the time)
✟33,669.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
I have a good friend, who is a Orthodox Presbyterian minister. We were discussing this topic one day and I asked him if he truly believed that God has elected, or condemned, against their will people to eternal separation from God. He said to me, "No, I do not believe that. Man has done that himself." Now, this is a very elementary way of looking at things, but I really liked it. I couldn't disagree with this statement, as I hold to the Scriptural view that all men are (now) born into Sin, not deserving of eternal life in Christ. So, if you too hold to this doctrine, God doesn't send anyone to hell. Man has signed for his place there of his own accord.

Upvote 0