Fresno, CA
✟2,369.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The lack of rules existing in this forum, makes me wonder if we are supposed to make them ourselves.

So I propose that while we decide on a name we also decide on some concise rules for the forum, that aren't too limiting nor to many. We can do this the regular Lutheran way, posting up ideas and peer review!!!

Consensus shouldn't be hard to find.

-James

ChiRho

Confessional Lutheran Catholic
Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
Exodus 20

1 And God spake all these words, saying,
2 I am Jehovah thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee a graven image, nor any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them, for I Jehovah thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, upon the third and upon the fourth generation of them that hate me,
6 and showing lovingkindness unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.
7 Thou shalt not take the name of Jehovah thy God in vain; for Jehovah will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work;
10 but the seventh day is a sabbath unto Jehovah thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy man-servant, nor thy maid-servant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 for in six days Jehovah made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore Jehovah blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
12 Honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long in the land which Jehovah thy God giveth thee.
13 Thou shalt not kill.
14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
15 Thou shalt not steal.
16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his man-servant, nor his maid-servant, nor his ox, nor his ***, nor anything that is thy neighbor's.

Luke 10
27 And he answered, "(1) YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."

How 'bout these?

Do not worry, Christ kept all the Laws for you. Died upon a cross for you. His Body was given and His Blood shed for you-for the remission of your sins. Amen.

Never Law without Gospel.

Pax Christi,

ChiRho

Upvote 0

JVAC

Baptized into His name
Nov 28, 2003
Fresno, CA
✟2,369.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Never Law without Gospel.
HA hah hah ha, that is awesome!

However, that translation you are using is wearing on me, the name Jehova drives me up the wall! It isn't biblical, some mistranslation of the correct name, YHWH.

-James

Upvote 0

ChiRho

Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
JVAC said:
HA hah hah ha, that is awesome!

However, that translation you are using is wearing on me, the name Jehova drives me up the wall! It isn't biblical, some mistranslation of the correct name, YHWH.

-James

I know, I accidentally cut and pasted the ASV instead of the NASB. My fault!

Pax Christi,

ChiRho

Upvote 0

JVAC

Baptized into His name
Nov 28, 2003
Fresno, CA
✟2,369.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ChiRho said:
I know, I accidentally cut and pasted the ASV instead of the NASB. My fault!
Which translation do you like best? I usually use NIV but my professors don't like me using that, so I also have a NRSV and a KJV for kicks! I have heard some really good stuff about the New KJV but I kind of grew in a rut with my NIV :D .

-James

Upvote 0

ChiRho

Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
JVAC said:
Which translation do you like best? I usually use NIV but my professors don't like me using that, so I also have a NRSV and a KJV for kicks! I have heard some really good stuff about the New KJV but I kind of grew in a rut with my NIV :D .

-James

Usually I use the NASB, it is more literal than most. I believe our church uses the ESV...I think.

Pax Christi,

ChiRho

Upvote 0

Music4Hym777

Daughter of Christ
Apr 27, 2004
Arizona
✟10,229.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Republican
I like the NIV for study, my church uses the CEV(yeah, I think that translation is a little weird). I have Good News, NLT, NASB, NRSV, NKJV, and a few other versions as well that I have picked up along the way.

Why dont we just stick to the basics rules like before?

Upvote 0

Bradford

Fool on the Hill
May 5, 2004
✟29,708.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Shall we think about completing this project?

Maybe we could modify the rules from Semper Reformanda?

ATTN: Read before you post here!

The rules particular to this forum follow:

1) This forum is open to all Christians. Non-Christian members are not allowed to post here.

2) Lutheran as well as all members of the Congregational Forums can post fellowship threads here. Only Lutheran members
are allowed to debate threads to discuss various doctrines to do with their own denomination and other denominations as long as they are within our rules.

3) Non-Lutheran members can only post fellowship posts here or posts to ask a question regarding Lutheran doctrine. Once the question is answered, there shall be no debate over the answer in this forum by the Non-Lutheran members. Any debate posts by Non-Lutheran members will be deleted. In other words, only Lutheran members can debate here.

4) No posts that denigrate a Christian denomination or Christian group will be tolerated - these will be deleted and the poster will be warned.

Basically, we do NOT allow accusations that a particular Christian denomination or group is non-Christian. That is the bottom line. Debates regarding doctrine is allowed (for Reformed/Calvinist members only). Accusations are not.

Examples of what is not allowed, and what is allowed:

Not allowed: "The Pope is the Anti-Christ"
Allowed: "The Pope has too much power" or "The Bible did not establish the papacy" - as long as scripture and evidence is posted to argue this.

Not allowed: "The Catholic church is a cult"
Allowed: "The Catholic church has errors in some doctrines" - as long as scripture and evidence is posted to argue this.

Not allowed: "The Roman Catholic Church is the harlot of Babylon"
Allowed: "The Catholic church may have a particular role to play in the endtimes" - as long as scripture and evidence is posted to argue this.

Not allowed: "All Catholics go to hell"
Allowed: "Some Catholics may not be saved because they have wrong beliefs" - as long as scripture and evidence is posted to argue this.

Not allowed: "Catholics worship idols" - this is because they don't worship these idols (at least they are not meant to)
Allowed: "Catholics have images in their church and the Bible does not support this" - as long as scripture and evidence is posted to argue this.

Not allowed: "Catholics pray to demons when they pray to saints"
Allowed: "Praying to saints is not in the Bible" - as long as scripture and evidence is posted to argue this.

Allowed: "There is no such thing as purgatory" - as long as scripture and evidence is posted to argue this.

Allowed: "Catholics are preoccupied with visions of Mary" - as long as scripture and evidence is posted to argue this.

Not allowed: "Speaking in tongues is demonic"
Allowed: "Speaking in tongues is being abused in some churches" - as long as scripture and evidence is posted to argue this.

Not allowed: "Charismatic Christians are not saved"
Allowed: "The charismatic movement have gone too far in some cases" - as long as scripture a nd evidence is posted to argue this.

Not allowed: "Word of Faith preachers are false prophets"
Allowed: "The Word of Faith movement have gone too far in certain instances" - as long as scripture and evidence is posted to argue this.

Basically, try to rephrase your question and post so that it does not come across as being judgemental and accusatory. You will find that the message gets across better, and the debate will remain civil.

6) Feel free to report posts that you believe have broken these rules to the moderators of this forum by clicking on the "Report" link at the bottom of each post

These rules are in addition to the rules of CF that govern the board as a whole. All rules will be strictly enforced.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bradford

Fool on the Hill
May 5, 2004
✟29,708.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Andreas said:
I would like to say as a Mod here. That I hope we can put some together that everyone agrees on. So I would love to see as much input as possible.:)
I bump a three-month old thread... and it gets a reply in three-minutes! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradford

Fool on the Hill
May 5, 2004
✟29,708.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Phoebe said:
I think we could just keep the same general forum rules.

Love thy neighbor as thyself...

Do unto others as you would have done unto you.

Play nice. ;)
Well, IMHO, the rule against debating by non-Lutherans is the most important one... this is not IDD, after all...

Upvote 0

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bradford said:
Well, we are the last faction of the old P/R/E to adopt a set...
So how about we buck the trend and be the only faction of old P/R/E that doesn't need them! Seriously...has anyone done a "report" count by forum. I bet ours has to be one of the lowest. -----R

Upvote 0

ByzantineDixie

Handmaid of God, Mary
Jan 11, 2004
Visit site
✟11,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bradford said:
Well, IMHO, the rule against debating by non-Lutherans is the most important one... this is not IDD, after all...
Please...a non-Lutheran doesn't have a chance with this group...they enter into that situation at their own risk! :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.