Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
“Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” James 5:16

Do you understand what that verse means in context? It is written to believers, already saved.

Reactions: PeaceByJesus
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
But as I am a Catholic, and I see the faith that I believe in being slandered, I do have the right to say that.

I have given Bible verse after Bible verse in contrast to what Catholic tradition and the Catholic Catechism teach. The disparity between the two has not once been adequately addressed.

As to my motives and intentions in showing people what the Bible says, I've made that clear, and you have no right to tell me what I think and believe.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You are assuming that monasteries in Tudor times were run as monasteries today are run.

That is one huge assumption.

You are also assuming that in Tudor times a monk who showed aversion to fish would not be put on obedience to eat it for the good of his soul and to overcome the frailties of the flesh.

Even bigger assumption.

The monasteries today are run just the same as they were in Tudor times. Granted, most monasteries have electricity, and all of the modern labor saving devices. Cars exists now. But the STYLE of the monastic lifestyle is just the same.

And, you also have to recognize that most of the people in Tudor times ate very little meat. In Eastern Christian monasteries, meat is almost never served, except major feast days.

And you seem to forget that a monastic superior, if he is a good one, will recognize the needs of his monks, and to vary the diet accordingly. Finally, the superior can understand the frailties of the flesh, and recognize that if a monk gets sick eating fish, don't give him fish.

I have diabetes (type 2), and I have been given ORDERS not to fast. It seems that there is an enzyme in meat that helps keep blood sugar under control. I limit my meals to two, or even one a day, but even that is not an obedience. I really don't start to get hungry until afternoon.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, why cannot the Catholic Church be full of the Holy Spirit then? Why only you?

A very good question in general. How do you suppose we can test claims to be true? What source do we use? What source did Jesus use? What source did His apostles use?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another thread that has unfolded into nothing but Catholic bashing!

No more!
Actually, I've not participated in one of your OPs for some time. I have to be honest...Your OP is misleading. You wanted to 'learn' more about Luther. When people graciously provided you sources you made every response to your inquiry as an attack on the RC church. Frankly, you baited the hook, people nicely took it and then you ripped out their teeth and gums claiming they were attacking you and Catholics. The only one who was goading and flaming on this thread was you the OP. Hope you had fun.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith and the Gospel prove it. On this Rock.........proof!
The Rock is Christ.

Psalm 118:22
The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief corner stone.

Matthew 21:42
Jesus said to them, "Did you never read in the Scriptures, 'THE STONE WHICH THE BUILDERS REJECTED, THIS BECAME THE CHIEF CORNER stone; THIS CAME ABOUT FROM THE LORD, AND IT IS MARVELOUS IN OUR EYES'?

Mark 12:10
"Have you not even read this Scripture: 'THE STONE WHICH THE BUILDERS REJECTED, THIS BECAME THE CHIEF CORNER stone;

Luke 20:17
But Jesus looked at them and said, "What then is this that is written: 'THE STONE WHICH THE BUILDERS REJECTED, THIS BECAME THE CHIEF CORNER stone'?

1 Peter 2:7
This precious value, then, is for you who believe; but for those who disbelieve, "THE STONE WHICH THE BUILDERS REJECTED, THIS BECAME THE VERY CORNER stone,"

Acts 4:11
"He is the STONE WHICH WAS REJECTED by you, THE BUILDERS, but WHICH BECAME THE CHIEF CORNER stone.

Isaiah 8:14
"Then He shall become a sanctuary; But to both the houses of Israel, a stone to strike and a rock to stumble over, And a snare and a trap for the inhabitants of Jerusalem.

Romans 9:33
just as it is written, "BEHOLD, I LAY IN ZION A STONE OF STUMBLING AND A ROCK OF OFFENSE, AND HE WHO BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED."

1 Peter 2:8
and, "A STONE OF STUMBLING AND A ROCK OF OFFENSE"; for they stumble because they are disobedient to the word, and to this doom they were also appointed.

Matthew 21:44
"And he who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; but on whomever it falls, it will scatter him like dust."

Isaiah 28:16
Therefore thus says the Lord GOD, "Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a tested stone, A costly cornerstone for the foundation, firmly placed. He who believes in it will not be disturbed.

1 Peter 2:6
For this is contained in Scripture: "BEHOLD, I LAY IN ZION A CHOICE STONE, A PRECIOUS CORNER stone, AND HE WHO BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED."

Daniel 2:34
"You continued looking until a stone was cut out without hands, and it struck the statue on its feet of iron and clay and crushed them.

Daniel 2:45
"Inasmuch as you saw that a stone was cut out of the mountain without hands and that it crushed the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver and the gold, the great God has made known to the king what will take place in the future; so the dream is true and its interpretation is trustworthy."

Daniel 2:35
"Then the iron, the clay, the bronze, the silver and the gold were crushed all at the same time and became like chaff from the summer threshing floors; and the wind carried them away so that not a trace of them was found But the stone that struck the statue became a great mountain and filled the whole earth.

1 Corinthians 10:4
and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ.

1 Peter 2:4
And coming to Him as to a living stone which has been rejected by men, but is choice and precious in the sight of God,

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Actually, I've not participated in one of your OPs for some time. I have to be honest...Your OP is misleading. You wanted to 'learn' more about Luther. When people graciously provided you sources you made every response to your inquiry as an attack on the RC church. Frankly, you baited the hook, people nicely took it and then you ripped out their teeth and gums claiming they were attacking you and Catholics. The only one who was goading and flaming on this thread was you the OP. Hope you had fun.

See? You immediately attack me! Others jumped in and started their usual 'Catholic bashing.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
This thread was about Luther but you have decided to turn it around so that you can criticise the Catholic Church. I have asked to close the thread.

Probably for the best. No effort at honest dialogue was made when Scriptural support was provided.

No one here was "Catholic bashing."

God bless.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are Peter (Rock) and on this Rock I will build my church......
Yet the other One True Church (the Eastern Orthodox) say no this. In the Orthodox Study Bible:

Orthodox Study Bible pg. 1299 says that Jesus' statement "You are peter and upon this Rock I will build my Church (Mat 16:18) was not of Peter himself, but of the faith of his confession.

Which One True Church is right?

Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.