Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
The Devil hates the Bible, period. He would rather no one read or studied it for themselves.

You opinion. He loves it when people pull away from the church of Christ, the Catholic Church and read scripture on their own!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
repeat...Excuses my friend, I grew up Catholic, went to Catholic schools all my youth. I know exactly what that money was for. But at least you do not deny it is still happening.

In Christ
Daniel

My question is, why should people need to pay (even for the candle) to offer prayers to Mary in the first place? And how much money does the Catholic Church make from the sale of candles for this purpose every year?

Yes, it is still very much a reality. The Bible says we can come directly to God with our prayers and petitions because we have one Mediator and Great High Priest, Jesus Christ our Lord. Praying to Mary (a fellow human being who has been gone from this life for about 2,000 years is bad enough, making money off of people's prayers is worse still.

Making merchandise of people.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
If God chose to reveal his will and intentions to mankind through inspiring holy men to write--which he did--it's not going to convince me when someone says we ought not to read it! ^_^

The Bible is there to be read by everyone.

It's the various interpretations that these 1,000s of denominations come out with that is worrying!

Each of them thinking that their interpretation is the correct one!

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You opinion. He loves it when people pull away from the church of Christ, the Catholic Church.

It's "my opinion" that the Devil hates the word of God? Seriously? Do you know how many countless people died throughout the last couple thousand years because of what is written in the Bible and because they wanted everyone to have access to what is written in its pages?

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Utter untruth my friend. Ask any real Catholic.

Now, that's pretty disrespectful and dismissive. You just cannot admit that perhaps someone actually understands the problems with the Catholic Church.

You're response has been repeatedly to dismiss anyone unless they are still Catholic.

Some form of, "You're not Catholic, so you just don't get it."

Frankly, I don't care what they use the money for. Charging people money for the candle so they can pray to Mary, of all things, is dispicable.

People can pray directly to God, for free.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
My question is, why should people need to pay (even for the candle) to offer prayers to Mary in the first place? And how much money does the Catholic Church make from the sale of candles for this purpose every year?

Yes, it is still very much a reality. The Bible says we can come directly to God with our prayers and petitions because we have one Mediator and Great High Priest, Jesus Christ our Lord. Praying to Mary (a fellow human being who has been gone from this life for about 2,000 years is bad enough, making money off of people's prayers is worse still.

Making merchandise of people.

A Catholic Life: Why do Catholics Light Prayer Candles?

Some churches ask for only a $1 donation to light one so they can purchase another, while some require up to $10. This is just to help them purchase new candles. Please realize it is a "donation" not an obligation; if you don't have the money, you will still be able to light a candle. There are many churches and Cathedrals over the Internet that will even light candles there for you if you send in a donation.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is there to be read by everyone.

It's the various interpretations that these 1,000s of denominations come out with that is worrying!

Each of them thinking that their interpretation is the correct one!
What's your interpretation?

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
A Catholic Life: Why do Catholics Light Prayer Candles?

Some churches ask for only a $1 donation to light one so they can purchase another, while some require up to $10. This is just to help them purchase new candles. Please realize it is a "donation" not an obligation; if you don't have the money, you will still be able to light a candle. There are many churches and Cathedrals over the Internet that will even light candles there for you if you send in a donation.

It should not be a practice to charge for them at all. Prayers should be free, and can be offered directly to God.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
It's "my opinion" that the Devil hates the word of God? Seriously? Do you know how many countless people died throughout the last couple thousand years because of what is written in the Bible and because they wanted everyone to have access to what is written in its pages?

You only paste what you want! I said it was your opinion that the devil would rather people not read it on their own!

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You only paste what you want! I said it was your opinion that the devil would rather people not read it on their own!

Of course he would rather people not read the Bible on their own. It's one of his greatest triumphs to keep the word of God from people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Now, that's pretty disrespectful and dismissive. You just cannot admit that perhaps someone actually understands the problems with the Catholic Church.

You're response has been repeatedly to dismiss anyone unless they are still Catholic.

Some form of, "You're not Catholic, so you just don't get it."

Frankly, I don't care what they use the money for. Charging people money for the candle so they can pray to Mary, of all things, is dispicable.

People can pray directly to God, for free.

Again, someone who doesn't know anything about the CC. You go into any church, not just Catholic, that have candles for sale to use in the church. YOU ARE NOT PAYING FOR PRAYERS. You are only paying for the cost of the candle!!! Prayers are free.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Again, someone who doesn't know anything about the CC. You go into any church, not just Catholic, that have candles for sale to use in the church. YOU ARE NOT PAYING FOR PRAYERS. You are only paying for the cost of the candle!!! Prayers are free.

But if you want the spiritual benefits that the candle is supposed to bring you, you have to buy the candle.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

That's a huge blurring of the lines. The fact that candles are even seen as necessary and/or helpful in offering up prayers (and to Mary and the "Saints") is problematic enough. Again, prayers should not have money attached to them in any way, nor should people pray to anyone but God. The Bible is clear that Jesus is the only Mediator between God and man.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
What's your interpretation?

When I read scripture I can see how the Catholic church's interpretations are correct.

When I read Scott Hahns interpretations of different scripture I can see how correct it is after reading it myself. I can see that the Holy Spirit is indeed guiding the CC in its truths about scripture.

I am currently reading the Gospel of John, and what I am reading and understanding go hand in hand with how the church sees that Gospel. So far, I have not interpreted anything differently. But then again, I am not a theological scholar like some on here!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
It should not be a practice to charge for them at all. Prayers should be free, and can be offered directly to God.

See? You really DON'T understand do you?

PRAYERS ARE FREE

CANDLES COST MONEY TO MAKE!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
When I read scripture I can see how the Catholic church's interpretations are correct.
In other words, you are worried that there are thousands of different interpretations, but you have one of them yourself. The only difference is that most of those other people come to a conclusion after reading the word of God, while you simply say "I'll take that one."

• Winner
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Of course he would rather people not read the Bible on their own. It's one of his greatest triumphs to keep the word of God from people.

Twisting to suit YOUR personal view / opinion yet again!:doh:

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
But if you want the spiritual benefits that the candle is supposed to bring you, you have to buy the candle.

No, you don't!

Our church ask for a 'donations to the cost of the candles. It is the same in every church I have entered.

We get very poor people in the church who don't buy the candle but are still allowed to use one without any donation.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
See? You really DON'T understand do you?

PRAYERS ARE FREE

CANDLES COST MONEY TO MAKE!
But you do have to light one of these candles in order to have the angels repeat your prayer until it burns out. That's the quaint legend, anyway--and the only reason for lighting one of these candles instead of just offering a prayer.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
That's a huge blurring of the lines. The fact that candles are even seen as necessary and/or helpful in offering up prayers (and to Mary and the "Saints") is problematic enough. Again, prayers should not have money attached to them in any way, nor should people pray to anyone but God. The Bible is clear that Jesus is the only Mediator between God and man.

Blah, blah, blah.........same old posts from you yet again.

You really hate Catholic ways! Lol

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.