LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying 'I repent,' you must forgive them."

Is this correct ?

does it harmonise with the Lords prayer on forgiveness?

what say you ?

DO WE ALWAYS FORGIVE - without repentance from the other party ?

I always thought we did.:confused:

A

Andrea411

Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying 'I repent,' you must forgive them."

Is this correct ?

what say you ?

The Lord's Prayer
(traditional)

Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy will be done in earth,
As it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
The power, and the glory,
For ever and ever.
Amen.

We are also given the example by Christ forgive those that use you or hurt you do good to them....

As long as we walk in unforgiveness we walk in otherness. Unable to heal, unable to fully submit to the Lord bc that unforgiveness is disobedience. It also tethers the object of our unforgiveness to us. We are never more free then when we forgive our enemies or those that have hurt us.

I'm always amazed at how much energy some people put into holding a grudge, if they put half that amount of energy into releasing the person they might heal. This is true of Christians and non-believer's. I've had some decrepit people in my life that did awful things to me or my loved ones. There was never one time that not forgiving them was helpful. It only hindered my healing or made me more stressed and angry.
But the most amazing thing to me was finding that my unforgiveness was actually giving power to those decrepit people, they wanted that power and didn't need to exert any energy to get me worked up. I did that all by myself. In effect tethering myself to the worst people in my life. It helped me understand why Christ did not say only forgive those that show repentance or deserve to be forgiven. It wasn't for my enemies sake, I was to forgive. It was for my own good, my own healing.

God bless, andrea

Mk 11:25 And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”

Mt 6:14 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian

Is this correct ?

what say you ?

The Cross changed everything....

"Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." Colossians 3:13

Upvote 0

mrhappy3

May 9, 2006
LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The Lord's Prayer
(traditional)

Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy will be done in earth,
As it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
The power, and the glory,
For ever and ever.
Amen.

We are also given the example by Christ forgive those that use you or hurt you do good to them....

As long as we walk in unforgiveness we walk in otherness. Unable to heal, unable to fully submit to the Lord bc that unforgiveness is disobedience. It also tethers the object of our unforgiveness to us. We are never more free then when we forgive our enemies or those that have hurt us.

I'm always amazed at how much energy some people put into holding a grudge, if they put half that amount of energy into releasing the person they might heal. This is true of Christians and non-believer's. I've had some decrepit people in my life that did awful things to me or my loved ones. There was never one time that not forgiving them was helpful. It only hindered my healing or made me more stressed and angry.
But the most amazing thing to me was finding that my unforgiveness was actually giving power to those decrepit people, they wanted that power and didn't need to exert any energy to get me worked up. I did that all by myself. In effect tethering myself to the worst people in my life. It helped me understand why Christ did not say only forgive those that show repentance or deserve to be forgiven. It wasn't for my enemies sake, I was to forgive. It was for my own good, my own healing.

God bless, andrea

Mk 11:25 And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”

Mt 6:14 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

so so TRUE:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Forgiveness is a subject that many think they have understood and comprehended. Yet, ‘forgiveness’ is one of the most complicated subjects of the Bible. The devils did not understand it. The angels marvel as they watch the forgiveness of God. Mankind accepts God’s forgiveness, not even understanding its complexity and awesome nature.

We are told to forgive others, and we do not understand even what it is, if we have any inside us, if we need an appropriation from God to have any, if we can muster enough love to keep on forgiving as we are continuously harmed by the wrongs of others.

It is like E = MC2, a nice statement, and perhaps some understand a bit about it, but I do not see many of us trying to explain it, for we have not yet even comprehended it in measure. In the same way, FORGIVENESS, is a concept so foreign to humans, angels, devils, etc... that to understand it, to have it, to be able to share it, is impossible without divine help.

God has demonstrated it in Jesus’ death and resurrection. God has shocked devils and angels with demonstration of it to sinful man, to undeserving rebels. God has shown that application of it requires only repentance.

Mankind has perverted the concept of forgiveness. Some want it universally given to rebels and saints alike, but God says ‘no’. Some want forgiveness to be restricted to those who deserve it, but God says ‘no’. Some want repentance to bring one into a realm of total forgiveness, no matter what sins follow, and make ‘forgiveness’ a license to sin, but God says ‘no’.

Forgiveness is a concept that is far deeper, far more transcendent that any human, angelic, devilish mind can comprehend. However, God takes us through a process of learning FORGIVENESS, starting with the reception of a gift of it, we receive at salvation.

From that point on, we find we need more and more of forgiveness, as we find the human, carnal nature still residing in us, will occasionally fail and need more forgiveness to flow through us, as we call for continual flow of forgiveness. This teaches us a humility of realization that the initial dose of forgiveness did not make us perfect. We continue then to call for God to give us more and more forgiveness.

We learn in that, that forgiveness is not a one time change of our nature, but a continual flow of grace, continuing until we do not need further applications. Jesus told Peter that forgiving seven times a day, the wrongs of another upon Peter, was not enough. Forgiveness had to be a continual flow, so that even if it was needed 70 times 7 a day, it would still be a flow of this magnificent grace called ‘forgiveness’. This makes ‘forgiveness’ to be something beyond our ability, beyond our comprehension, and beyond our mental capacity to fathom.

So, how do we have FORGIVENESS for the wrongs done us? That is a question that the Bible does answer. God knew we would never figure it out on our own. Yet, the majority of saints have not chosen to study it. Many just make it a ‘decision’ and then pretend to not be hating and be unforgiving to those who manifest their wrongs in our mind nearly 24 hours a day. They paste on a smile and call it forgiveness. They tolerate or avoid those they cannot forgive, and hope no one knows how the torment of their anger is wiping away all joy in their Christian walk. No, the church has not demonstrated, practiced, or even understood FORGIVENESS for the most part.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Is this correct ?

what say you ?

YES-WE ALWAYS FORGIVE !

END .:)

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know. In normal cases yes, forgive everyone even if they didn't repent and want to do it again tomorrow, but John 20: 23 says:
If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”
I think that's to the apostles.
I wouldn't forgive the antichrist and I wonder if God asked people in WWII to forgive Hitler.
There was a preacher, a Jeffrey brother I think it was, who at that time said that he would soon be in hell.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
This one always threw me.

I was listening to Gary Carpenter, who spends a LOT of time praying in the Holy Ghost. He gets answers that you don't think of on your own! He also prays while He is reading the Word. He'll read the same book over and over. Certain chapters again and again. God will have him read "companion" chapters in other books or other entire books that harmonize with another book. There are books that say almost the same thing with other books in places.

Anway, he said the Holy Spirit showed him that in that chapter (and somewhat preceding that chapter) that Jesus was talking about money. That's what made it really hit home and they needed some real help to be obedient.

If someone rips you off financially (and they repent), you forgive them like they didn't do it.

I know elsewhere we are told to always forgive (even the unrepentant). If we don't we won't be forgiven.

I would recommend approaching those 2 or 3 chapters like he did. Read them over and over as a unit, not as separate verses or even chapters. Get thew whole picture and pray on it. He says many times when you do this, when you go to sleep, the Holy Spirit will continue to work inside of you and "assimilate" revelation knowledge. He gets anointing dreams. Even if it just "grows inside you" (we know not how), we'll open ourselves up to understand the scriptures (especially problem passages) in a new way.

Just a thought...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Basha21

Jul 10, 2014
Virginia
✟281.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private

Is this correct ?

what say you ?

I'm new here, but I've quickly learned that Andrea411 is a very wise woman and I'd listen to her good advice. We do need to forgive--ALWAYS. Its up to the other person whether they repent or not. That's between them and God. When we forgive others, we allow God more place in our lives. It only harms us to hold unforgiveness in our heart--the other person often doesn't even care.

Sometimes it seems pretty difficult, as I well know, but the faster you get rid of unforgiveness, the better. You don't want to hinder your relationship with your Father.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you (Ephesians 4:32)

Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you (Colossians 3:13)

:)

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know. In normal cases yes, forgive everyone even if they didn't repent and want to do it again tomorrow, but John 20: 23 says:
If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”
I think that's to the apostles.
I wouldn't forgive the antichrist and I wonder if God asked people in WWII to forgive Hitler.
There was a preacher, a Jeffrey brother I think it was, who at that time said that he would soon be in hell.

YES-WE ALWAYS FORGIVE !

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I think its a misapplication of that verse to suggest we only forgive when the other person has repented.

When commanding us to forgive, I do not recall Jesus issuing any qualifiers eg "You must only forgive when the other person has repented.

Forgiveness is about setting us free from the past.

Is this correct ?

what say you ?

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Forgiveness is a subject that many think they have understood and comprehended. Yet, ‘forgiveness’ is one of the most complicated subjects of the Bible..

Not really. In order to be forgiven we have to forgive.

Definately not complicated

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Is this correct ?

what say you ?

Of course we continue to forgive, if that is what is in our heart to do. Yet also, if our heart is full of love and forgiveness we should teach and be an example to the person who keeps sinning against us. The idea that we are supposed to sit and do and say nothing to this person is ignorant. And when we speak to this person we do so with respect, understanding, and love.

Upvote 0