• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Low wage earners have more spending money.

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Sink' started by OldWiseGuy, Mar 2, 2021.

1. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+9,844
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Single people, sharing an apartment, paying practically no taxes, have more pocket money than higher earners that have children, mortgage, second vehicle, etc. They have the ability to save more as well. Single people still living with their parents have even more disposable/discretionary income. Been there, done that. :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Larnievc

Larnievc Well-Known Member

+3,927
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    I bet it was a long time ago.

3. OldWiseGuy

+9,844
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    It's actually a great young single person lifestyle today. The key is selecting the right roommates, establishing rules, duties, etc.

4. bèlla

bèlla ⭐️ Supporter

+12,673
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Assuming the parents are footing the bills. Some pay rent. I've never had a roommate. The thought is ghastly! The only person I'm living with is a spouse.

~bella

5. OldWiseGuy

+9,844
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I was a party guy and thoroughly enjoyed the friendships and good times I had with my roommate buddies for many years before I got married. Saved a pile of dough as well. Many of the girls I dated also shared apartments with other gals, to keep costs down and for mutual safety and companionship.

6. bèlla

bèlla ⭐️ Supporter

+12,673
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I partied in my teens. Clubs offered 14-18 nights on the weekends. Between dates, friends, club and schools events I was never home. The party scene wasn't a big deal for us when we became adults. We'd done enough. Most of us moved out and got our own apartments well before the norm. I was 19.

~bella

7. OldWiseGuy

+9,844
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    My twenties were spent enjoying my freedom, spending my dough on myself, doing whatever I wanted to do, and dating the gals. I couldn't have asked for a better life then, and now for that matter. :bow:

8. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+6,700
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I wish I had been that smart. I did the same thing, had roomates, partied, made a pile of dough, and spent every bit of it.

^^^ Don't go that route kiddies.^^^

It all worked out fine. It helps to have skills. I would suggest to any young person to try and get a skill or two. I got some good jobs in various kinds of construction and learned so much.

9. OldWiseGuy

+9,844
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    My son and his friends common interest, besides partying, was networking construction jobs. They played hard but worked just as hard. My son has a degree in Art Education but would have to move out of state for a good job. He is a concrete finisher making good money here so his degree will likely go to waste.

It was customary in the Jewish community to teach their sons a useful trade before any consideration of higher education was contemplated. I think that is still a good plan.

10. bèlla

bèlla ⭐️ Supporter

+12,673
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I was a mom in my twenties. I wasn't ready to settle down. But I attracted suitors like that. I didn't get party guys. I was traditional and domestic. I didn't know the buzzword then. But I learned it in my 30s. The 1950s lifestyle was my ideal.

My forties were explosive. Lots of growth and change. I started dating younger men. I did once in my 30s. But I went all-in. Life is sweet. I wouldn't change a thing. :D

~bella

11. OldWiseGuy

+9,844
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    The 1950's were the greatest.

12. bèlla

bèlla ⭐️ Supporter

+12,673
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I wasn't born then. I value some traditions and appreciate the gains too.

~bella

13. OldWiseGuy

+9,844
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Traditions went out the window in the 1950's. That's when the fun began for us teenagers.

14. bèlla

bèlla ⭐️ Supporter

+12,673
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    My generation was the last to have club events. They stopped them. Teens didn't have a lot do on the weekend. We had a $5 cover charge and the sets lasted 4 hours. Friends went in groups. You didn't need a lot of money.

Most parents don't want a house full of teens! :D

~bella

15. gaara4158

gaara4158 (Power Level Hidden)

+2,289
    United States
    Humanist
    Married
    US-Others
    This another one of your feelings-based hunches, or do you have data supporting your hypothesis that single, low wage earners have more disposable income than married, high wage earners?

16. OldWiseGuy

+9,844
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    True. My dad would say, "Go away, leave me in peace." He did make us clean the house every Saturday morning before he kicked us out for the day.

Our weekends were full of activities, beginning with our local teen recreation center on Friday and Saturday evenings. Big dance hall and bands on first floor, ping pong and pool tables on second floor. Great time, lots of girls from other high schools to dance with and 'take a stroll with'.

There was always a new movie coming out as well on the weekends, that was a staple.

17. bèlla

bèlla ⭐️ Supporter

+12,673
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I remember parents booting the kids out and telling them to go and play! You couldn't hang indoors if the weather was nice. *lol*

18. OldWiseGuy

+9,844
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    We had lakes and parks, a zoo, a great downtown, minutes from the countryside for hunting or enjoying nature. I get nostalgic over it, in fact there are parts of town that I cannot revisit with being overwhelmed by the memories (call me sentimental).

19. Larnievc

+3,927
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    The key is that things were VERY different back then.

The socio-economic position of young people is very much more complex.

20. Larnievc

+3,927
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    I lived in a shared house with four other people when I left uni. One of the best few years of my life.