Low wage earners have more spending money.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The key is that things were VERY different back then.

The socio-economic position of young people is very much more complex.

How would you know that considering that you weren't born yet?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Single people, sharing an apartment, paying practically no taxes, have more pocket money than higher earners that have children, mortgage, second vehicle, etc. They have the ability to save more as well. Single people still living with their parents have even more disposable/discretionary income. Been there, done that. :)
So you are claiming a person living an inexpensive lifestyle making less money will have more spending money than someone with a more expensive lifestyle who makes more money? It all depends on how much more expensive the lifestyle is, and how much more money they make.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So you are claiming a person living an inexpensive lifestyle making less money will have more spending money than someone with a more expensive lifestyle who makes more money? It all depends on how much more expensive the lifestyle is, and how much more money they make.

Good point. So lets compare apples to apples and stipulate that the individuals being compared are of the same age and have the same income. I had several friends my age who when married then had to bear all of their housing and other previously shared costs (plus many new ones) leaving them pretty much broke at the end of the month.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You mean an idea of a society that never existed except in the minds of people from decades later?

Actually that show nailed it pretty good.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Because back then life was more simple and less expensive. That much is obvious.

It was simpler, but no less expensive. We were happy though, living in a Norman Rockwell illustration.

Upvote 0