Loving your enemies & in-laws

LemonBlossom

Oct 2, 2014
✟8,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know the bible is clear about loving your enemies and to give when they demand, even more so - what if it's your in-laws or parents making demands of you for your time, such as all your time off, or your personal information such as demanding to know things, etc. I suppose that would include anyone who makes a demand of you, are we supposed to give it to them and even more?

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The bible doesn’t tell us to submit to exploitation or agree with every request. For the sanctity of your person and familial responsibilities, you have to set boundaries. Otherwise, you’ll become embittered.

If you feel the requests are inappropriate or invasions of privacy, discuss the matter with your wife so she isn’t blindsided. Come to an agreement and speak to your in-laws. ‘We’ statements are best.

e.g., We’re uncomfortable with the request, disclosure, etc. because (state your reason). Meeting them together eliminates divide and conquer tactics and presents a unified front.

I’m uncertain if you’re in-laws are controlling. But their behavior appears so.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Reactions: LemonBlossom
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I know the bible is clear about loving your enemies and to give when they demand, even more so - what if it's your in-laws or parents making demands of you for your time, such as all your time off, or your personal information such as demanding to know things, etc. I suppose that would include anyone who makes a demand of you, are we supposed to give it to them and even more?
Not at all. Lord Jesus loved everyone but He sure did not give into their demands. The perfect example is the family of Lazarus. They tried to get Jesus to come to their place while Lazarus was ill. Lord Jesus stayed where he was. Jesus is Lord, not your in laws. Lord Jesus did not even acknowledge His natural family when they tried to get Him away from ministering. No, we are not puppets to be manipulated or carpets to be walked on.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

scripture interprets itself; the scriptures you reference are interpreted by other scriptures, such as:

(Mat 7:6) Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

We are suppose to treat everyone with kindness .... whatever needs addressed should be done so in a kind manner. It's not the "what" .... it's the "how"

Welcome to CF .... enjoy your stay! God Bless.

Upvote 0