Dec 16, 2013
✟9,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yep, you read right. Love, as we know it, is a big fat lie.

The fact is, emotions in general are unreliable, dangerous, and bad. Every great society has fallen because they chose what they felt over doing what was right. It's one reason, if not the reason, why our country is in such a mess. In time, every society that goes this way will fall, destined to collapse under its own weight.

I know. "It's about relationship, not rules!" Rules are the foundation of a healthy society. Try going against the rules of your body by not breathing. You'll eventually die.

I know, people are gonna say, "Well, Jesus cried." Jesus was perfect, we are not. He had complete control of himself, we do not. The world pursues emotion, so it's best for us to go the opposite way. Emotion is the reason behind every single sin. Duty and obligation don't care about whether or not you feel like doing it. And sacrifice is always painful. If letting go of something gives you joy, it's not a sacrifice.

Happiness is frivolous and unstable (A Chinese proverb says, "Happiness begets tragedy."), anger is destructive, sadness and fear both paralyze you. Godly love is unemotional. It's meant to produce misery to keep you away from the destructive nature of happiness and sin. If you want happiness, don't become a Christian. Become a Christian only because you love people and want to help them. It leaves no room for love for self. Quite the opposite, it says deny yourself. And like sacrifice, self-denial will always involve pain.

And God is only my Lord and Savior, not my friend.

This is why I appreciate characters like Sherlock Holmes and James Bond. Both know emotion just gets in the way and even gets you killed, one way or another.

The original James Bond is a lot different from how he's popularly viewed. He's a cold assassin who will take you out, even if you're a family man. If that's his job, he's gonna get the job done. He's a man of few words. He's not gonna let some frivolous emotion get in the way of his job. And when he fell in love for the first time, she ended up betraying him. So much for "true love."

Which brings me back to my main point. True love is a lie. It's the stuff of feel-good fairytales. It's the reason a lot of marriages have fallen apart. The reason arranged marriages thrive is because there's no emotion, no love, involved. It's done primarily for the good of the community.

Love in Christianity is always an action, never emotion. Emotions have no place in Christianity, they'll only lead you to sin.

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
True love is a lie. It's the stuff of feel-good fairytales.

No. It's real. True love is RARE, not a lie, and not impossible. It's just extremely hard to find.

It's the reason a lot of marriages have fallen apart.

They fall apart because true love wasn't there in the first place. Most marriages are about protection and stability and company with a small amount of love at times.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Love is not a lie. Not at all. It's just that what society tells us is love is not actually love.

From the first epistle of our father St. Paul to the Corinthians:

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2013
✟9,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Love is not a lie. Not at all. It's just that what society tells us is love is not actually love.

From the first epistle of our father St. Paul to the Corinthians:

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Exactly, as I said before. Love is action, not emotion. And emotions have no place in Christianity.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Exactly, as I said before. Love is action, not emotion. And emotions have no place in Christianity.

Of course emotions are a part of religion because it's about loving God.

1Jn 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
1Jn 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2013
✟9,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Of course emotions are a part of religion because it's about loving God.

1Jn 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
1Jn 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
1Jn 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Yet like I've said twice before, love is an action in the bible, not an emotion.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yet like I've said twice before, love is an action in the bible, not an emotion.

Love is both, and probably much more than those.

1Jn 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
1Jn 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,932.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

The fact is, emotions in general are unreliable, dangerous, and bad. Every great society has fallen because they chose what they felt over doing what was right. It's one reason, if not the reason, why our country is in such a mess. In time, every society that goes this way will fall, destined to collapse under its own weight.

I know. "It's about relationship, not rules!" Rules are the foundation of a healthy society. Try going against the rules of your body by not breathing. You'll eventually die.

I know, people are gonna say, "Well, Jesus cried." Jesus was perfect, we are not. He had complete control of himself, we do not. The world pursues emotion, so it's best for us to go the opposite way. Emotion is the reason behind every single sin. Duty and obligation don't care about whether or not you feel like doing it. And sacrifice is always painful. If letting go of something gives you joy, it's not a sacrifice.

Happiness is frivolous and unstable (A Chinese proverb says, "Happiness begets tragedy."), anger is destructive, sadness and fear both paralyze you. Godly love is unemotional. It's meant to produce misery to keep you away from the destructive nature of happiness and sin. If you want happiness, don't become a Christian. Become a Christian only because you love people and want to help them. It leaves no room for love for self. Quite the opposite, it says deny yourself. And like sacrifice, self-denial will always involve pain.

This is why I appreciate characters like Sherlock Holmes and James Bond. Both know emotion just gets in the way and even gets you killed, one way or another.

The original James Bond is a lot different from how he's popularly viewed. He's a cold assassin who will take you out, even if you're a family man. If that's his job, he's gonna get the job done. He's a man of few words. He's not gonna let some frivolous emotion get in the way of his job. And when he fell in love for the first time, she ended up betraying him. So much for "true love."

Which brings me back to my main point. True love is a lie. It's the stuff of feel-good fairytales. It's the reason a lot of marriages have fallen apart. The reason arranged marriages thrive is because there's no emotion, no love, involved. It's done primarily for the good of the community.

Love in Christianity is always an action, never emotion. Emotions have no place in Christianity, they'll only lead you to sin.

I agree with most of this - in context.

I think emotional attachment can be dangerous and gets in the way of doing what is right.

And indeed, I'm also fond of spy characters in fiction, thinking very little of themselves to serve the greater good, sacrificing, the long, good, and easy life to do what needs to be done in this world.

There's interesting parallels with fictional spy characters to those who believe in Christ - they will do wonderful things, they will speak in new languages, they will run and not grow weary, and perhaps, metaphorically, soar like eagles. :)

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Scripture covers 4 types of love, and each one has it's place and it's function.
You've studied this?
My love for my mother, my spouse, a neighbor, and pizza are each different.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soul-searching

Jan 27, 2018
Denmark
✟55,820.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Action relies on emotion, we act because we feel. If we did not feel we would not act. So there can´t be action without emotion. Just because some people make bad decisions in love does not mean that true love is a lie, it only means that we do not know how to turn away from our ego. If we did we would be masters of true love. That has nothing to do with love but everything to do with us, you can blame us, but not love. After all, love is what we believe in, it´s the core.

Reactions: John Bowen
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I see your point and believed much the same for many years.

But I have come to realise that no good thing that God created is wrong if it is working in line with and towards His perfect will.

In this world our emotions are so easily adulterated by sin and death, and that is why it is so important to guard our hearts and minds.

While it is true that the greatest Agape Love acts from the will and is not unduly influenced by distorted emotion, we are also human and the greatest and best Love we can express comes from all of our being, including that part of us that feels things.

Reactions: Inagony
Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I think emotions are important because like reason, they are part of what humanity is. I see emotions as able to give birth to good or evil just like reason or thoughts are capable of such.

and just because some emotions hurt does not mean that they are not love. I think God is full of emotions because we are made in his image.

duty is an emotion too. all the systems that make up a human are more like emotion than they are like mere thoughts. emotion is like a humans nakedness and reason is like his clothing.

I think love, freedom, and wisdom are the cause of everything. so love is not so much a thing as it is that which makes things. freedom is not a thing. it is nothing. we are made of nothing. we are made of love, made of Gods love. that is why being is thought of as good.

another easy way to understand love is goodness. they are the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Holoman

Credo
Jun 29, 2015
UK
✟18,043.00
Faith
Catholic
Love is a feeling, it isn't an action. I find the assertion quite bizarre. You can't feel without emotion. I can program a robot to give me kisses and affection, but it will never love me, because it is incapable of emotion. Similarly I could pay a woman to live with me, kiss me, marry me. Does she love me by simply carrying out the actions of a loving wife. Of course not.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Are you mistaking love and ego/self? Pleasing self is one way to be happy. Then there is a happiness from seeing someone else in good circumstances.

Being a Christian involves complex emotions. I can be very sad but at the same time content and have joy in my misery.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well said. I come from a society where marriages are arranged. People hardly marry out of love. They just try to do what is right, especially what is morally right. As a result divorces are much lesser than in the West. Where are you from? Since you understand arranged marriages so well. In the west people marry because they fell in love. Then they say they fell out of love and leave their spouse in search of another lover and on and on this goes. As we all know this is strictly prohibited in the Bible. I am not saying everything in eastern culture is good and everything in the west is bad. We have our problems as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Lust is the most emotional of the forms of Love, and the most troublesome.
Helping "the poor" is the best form.

Upvote 0

buck1hunter

Jul 17, 2018
PA
✟15,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Without love or emotions we would become Narcissistic. Quite frankly, I'm kind of tired of the whole world taking the cold and callous approach towards each other because they don't believe in love anymore. People do this because they don't want to get hurt. They don't understand love because they don't understand forgiveness. It seems like everything that was once sacred is now being destroyed because people don't embrace love and forgiveness. They're selfish. It's kind of like the topic of sex. It becomes "just" sex without the love. Without love things begin to lose their meaning. It's no wonder why so many people can't believe in God anymore. They can't comprehend what love is.

Upvote 0