Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think the key to Sawyer's masochism came in several clues so far. Earlier ones were where Kate and Sawyer butted heads over "knowing" who each other was. She also has an insightful comment about him needing to be hated. If he suffers from a pathological self-hatred, then his actions would be obvious.

What confused me is that each of the expositions so far have allowed the characters to turn the page on their past, especially Sun, Locke and Charie, less so for Jack. Kate's story played out as her being in her core self, not what her past life was. Sawyer still seems like an *** though.

I guess he's going to play out over more than episode, and I think the key was his decision to not burn the letter. He's facing his past, but he needs more time to - like Charlie did with his smack - toss it into the fire.

The preview alluded to next week being Sayid's backstory, and when I checked the ABC website last night, they confirmed it. I can't wait to see how it plays out, but in case any of the writers and producers are reading this.. MORE LOCKE!

Upvote 0

Seraphe

Oct 31, 2004
Texas
✟7,625.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The irony of Sawyer is many people suspected him of being a redneck wife-beater, but in actuality he has more in common with the victims of domestic abuse than the perpetrators. He pushes away healthy relationships and forces people to hate him with his sarcastic, asinine remarks. He deliberately sets out to punish himself, evidenced best last episode when he subjected himself to brutal abuse and torture at the hands of Jack and Sayid, and after Sayid stabbed him in the arm, he pleaded Jack to let him die.

I'm not sure if he really has a crush on Kate. If he does, it's a hella masochistic crush. He's only drawn to her when she's angry with him, and he pushes her away when she starts warming up to him. Right after they made-out, he immediately told her he didn't have the inhalers. He almost looked satisfied when she slapped him. And when he told her his story, and she finally started to feel sorry for him, he barked, "Don't you pity me! Get out!" I feel sorry for Kate in that, if she wants to help him, she's got a hell of a project ahead of her. How do you "fix" a [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]? I think telling him about her own criminal past might help some.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
SweetScars said:
i didnt get the whole thing with the letter. was it the same senario with the affair, did that happen to his parents and he was just "copying" his parents "murdurer"? can someone make this clear? i was sorta lost.

Tee hee. ;)

I think your confusion might be rooted in them using the same actor to portray Sawyer the original con man back in the '70s and Sawyer, the kid who grew up to become a con man. It was done that way to provide the dramatic twist that the letter wasn't written to the present day guy, but by him when he was a child.

I didn't see it coming, just like I didn't see Sun speaking English, Locke being a parapalegic or Kate being the criminal with the Marshall. And I think I finally figured Jack's story out. I'm guessing he wasn't able to get his father loaded on the plane (customs or the airlines wouldn't let him back in Australia) and so he was bringing an empty casket back. His visions of his father we just that. I guess, I need to go read some more summaries...

Upvote 0