Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That appears to me that both death and Hades have, in some manner, won a victory.
no, because death and hades are defeated. they gain no victory when we desire what leads to them and cannot, since God grants us life.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The sub forums within each Christian confession on CF have their particular faith rules. What is discussed in the broader forums is limited within these sub forums by each confessing group. So, for ex., there is often debate between 7th day Adventists about the sabbath day vs Sunday worship. Within the 7th Day Adventist particular forum & sub forum(s), their faith on the Sabbath is not to be debated. That is their particular forum.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read it before. Unfortunately, due to my slowness, I have no idea what your points are from that link. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So in other words, the "free-will" defense. How is that not defeating the Cross, especially when there is so much working against my own soul: the lies of demons, my inner passions, the history of my life (for instance, never even hearing of Christ or the Gospel), false teachers, the lure of sin. All of these things are powerful inducements to sin, to ignoring Christ, to turning from Him to sin. We poor sinners are at a great disadvantage in this life because of all these things.

So what you are saying is that Christ has saved all, but all will not take advantage of it. They will choose to follow the devil into the permanent state of death, separation from God, aka "death." That appears to me that both death and Hades have, in some manner, won a victory. And for that reason, I find that the hymns we so joyfully sing at Pascha, which indicate that Christ has won the victory, trampled death, broken down the gates of Hades, cannot be completely true because death and Hades wind up holding, according to some of the saints, a majority of the human race forever, and that to me is winning, not being trampled, and not being defeated.

**This conversation is getting perilously close to a subject I do not wish to discuss - Apocatastasis. My intent was, and still is, trying to discuss my confusion over what appears to be a contradiction in the hymns and understanding of the Church.
I think the best way to look at it is as C.S. Lewis stated, "Hell is locked from the inside".

I don't try to understand the after death beliefs in detail. I focus on, "And let us ask for a Christian end to our life, peaceful, without shame and suffering, and for a good defense before the awesome judgment seat of Christ."

I wish I could be of more help with this topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've reported his posts. I expect a cleanup if the mods are not too busy.
I can't even post anymore in Christian Scriptures as he has completely choked the entire board up. You have to go to page 7 or 8 before you get to posting other than by him. I put him on ignore because of his demands that we format our posts with his cut and paste demands of formatting.

• Agree
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,529.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can't even post anymore in Christian Scriptures as he has completely choked the entire board up. You have to go to page 7 or 8 before you get to posting other than by him. I put him on ignore because of his demands that we format our posts with his cut and paste demands of formatting.
That should make the Christian Scriptures forum a lot less cluttered. None of the threads he has started should show up if you have him on ignore.

• Informative
Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That should make the Christian Scriptures forum a lot less cluttered. None of the threads he has started should show up if you have him on ignore.
Oh I do, it's incredibly annoying because that was one of my favorite boards. However, no one posts there anymore because he jumps in with his admonition that you have to post in his desired formatting like he did with Fr. Matt. So I think a lot of the regulars have just stopped visiting there.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh I do, it's incredibly annoying because that was one of my favorite boards. However, no one posts there anymore because he jumps in with his admonition that you have to post in his desired formatting like he did with Fr. Matt. So I think a lot of the regulars have just stopped visiting there.

I understand where he is coming from because I was just like that (and still struggle a bit with it). Thought I knew EVERYTHING about the Christian life and just had to run to every forum I could to teach people, admonish them, argue with them, etc.

It's amazing how much I have learned that I do not know since becoming a member of the Orthodox Church! The best thing I can do right now is

SIT DOWN!
SHUT UP!
LISTEN!
LEARN!

May our gracious Lord help and enable me to do such!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I understand where he is coming from because I was just like that (and still struggle a bit with it). Thought I knew EVERYTHING about the Christian life and just had to run to every forum I could to teach people, admonish them, argue with them, etc.

It's amazing how much I have learned that I do not know since becoming a member of the Orthodox Church! The best thing I can do right now is

SIT DOWN!
SHUT UP!
LISTEN!
LEARN!

May our gracious Lord help and enable me to do such!
I've been Orthodox for 21 years now, chanting for pretty much all of them. For me, most important part is humility. I will learn something from someone every time I go to church.

Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0