Looking to buy a 1962 Daily Missal. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just about two years ago :) The Catholic Church was the last I attended before deconverting (also the first, the one I grew up in).

I have to say I was glad to hear that the Latin Mass is approved (if I remember correctly) again. If I ever did find it in me to go to Mass again (unlikely) would that old Missal be usable? My memory fails me in that regard now lol.

Yeah, it will definitely be useful. It will be correct down to each word if it is a 1962 missal. If it is a missal from before 1962 there would only be a few changes, but those would be mainly during Holy Week.

Anyways, if there is anything I can do to convince you to go to Mass, let me know, I'll be happy to oblige.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No prob, how's life been treating you?

Kind of iffy, but things could always be, and have in the past been at times, worse. I can provide more details via PM if you're interested and would like to inquire that way -- don't want to derail the thread too much. :)

How have things been going for you and the wife? Anything new in Arizona? I actually find I miss it there sometimes, more than I thought I would, even though it isn't the best place for me right now. There is something about the desert that has almost a spiritual quality to it. And, of course, who wouldn't miss Jack-in-the-Box? ;) Also, more topically to the thread, how's the extraordinary mass parish going out there? Is it expanding any? Any possibility that it might move into it's own church building?

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Kind of iffy, but things could always be, and have in the past been at times, worse. I can provide more details via PM if you're interested and would like to inquire that way -- don't want to derail the thread too much. :)

How have things been going for you and the wife? Anything new in Arizona? I actually find I miss it there sometimes, more than I thought I would, even though it isn't the best place for me right now. There is something about the desert that has almost a spiritual quality to it. And, of course, who wouldn't miss Jack-in-the-Box? ;) Also, more topically to the thread, how's the extraordinary mass parish going out there? Is it expanding any? Any possibility that it might move into it's own church building?

The wife and I are doing well. The extraordinary Mass parish is doing quite well, slowly growing, the chanting has drastically improved as we have a Gregorian Chant expert leading the schola now and they practice alot.

My two bestfriends were the first couple to get married in the parish last month, it was awesome! And a lady from ChristianForums was recently baptized, confirmed and received her first holy communion at the parish, that was all quite powerful and surreal.

In regards to our own building. Yes, I know quite abit about that as I am on the building committee.

Frankly it's going to take at least a couple of million to be able to minimally do what we want, and we currently have about $150,000 saved up, so it's going to take a while. Our pastor has a meeting with the Bishop and the presbyterate council to show them the work and research we've done so that they can determine the feasibility of it, and we are hoping that they will give us the thumbs up to start a full fledge building campaign.

So we are making progress, but it's going to take quite a bit of time unless somebody wins the lottery or a rich benefactor decides that he/she wants to help us out.

Most of our parish consists of young families with lots of children and only one income so we're not the most affluent parish.

Anyways, this October we've decided to do a stewardship program to try and get the people who attend the Mass to make a commitment to the parish and make some sacrifices for the benefit of the parish.

So we have our challenges but it is an exciting time!

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The wife and I are doing well. The extraordinary Mass parish is doing quite well

Good news on both fronts! :)

Most of our parish consists of young families with lots of children and only one income so we're not the most affluent parish.

In a way, even though this will hurt with the building campaign, it could help with evangelism. I think one barrier people sometimes have to extraordinary-use masses is that that sometimes Latin and formality are falsely associated with wealth and elitism in popular culture. Having a reality that sharply contrasts with that fear might go a long way towards alleviating people's fears and more positively predisposing them to the mass. It is a really beautiful mass.

So we have our challenges but it is an exciting time!

It does sound exciting to be in at the ground floor of a new venture like that, especially one that is at the same time new and also very, very ancient. :)

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Question: Does the Baronius Press 1962 Missal contain the same commentary and explanations on the Mass as the St. Andrew's Missal of 1945?

I ask, becasue I absolutely love the commentary from the St. Ansdrew's Missal. It contains the best explanations I have read on the liturgy, and in my opinion is one of the best Catechsis tools available. I hope it was not dropped in later missals.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
me waves at Davide :) Miss ya on the forum. And, would like to hear more about how preparation is going.

Hi Colleen, :)
It's good to see you too. My preparation for the monastery is going well. I joined a schola in my local parish, to begin learning to sing Gregorian Chant. And I finally began learning to speak/read Latin. I am also continuing to visit various monasteries. In fact, I will be visiting another Benedictine monastery (Still River, Massachusettes) next weekend.

I am also close to paying off my debt (only $8,000 away now). So it's getting close. :)

I hope everything is well with you Colleen.

-Davide

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
I received the Baronius Press missal in the mail today, and it is nice. I have to admit, however, that I am a little dissapointed in it. It does not contain the amazing commentary that the St. Andrew's Missal does. Also, the Latin text is tiny (almost illegible) next to the english translation. It also does not contain the beautiful prayers for the reception of Holy Communion, like the prayer of St. Ambrose and St. Thomas Aquinas. Or rather, I should say, it does contain *some* of those prayers, but you have to flip to a different section (which is problematic to me, since those prayers should be given pride of place in the flow of the Mass, they are so beautiful and humbling. Removing those prayers, to me, represents a shift away from authentic Catholicism, and towards the soon-to-come liberal reform).

But as a quick reference, I would say it is useful. The leather smells nice too.

I apologize if this sounds like nit picking. I've concluded that I must be spoiled, particularly after my visit to Clear Creek.

-Davide

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.