Looking to buy a 1962 Daily Missal. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Brethren,

I am considering buying the 1962 Missal, and was curious what you would recommend. I am interested in the one published by Baronius Press, as opposed to the one by Angelus Press, since it has a real leather cover (not sure if there is any significant difference between the two missals, in terms of content).

Also, I would be curious to hear any other recommendations. Perhaps cheaper than a tank of gas?

Blessings,

-Davide

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I love my Baronius Press 1962 Missal, I love the leather, and all the prayers, hymns in it. I pick up my missal everyday, it is a regular part of my prayer life.

The only thing that I've heard is better with the Angelus Missal, is that the type for the Latin is bigger, so if you have a hard time with your eyes and are more interested in the Latin, then you may want to consider the Angelus, other than that I think the Baronius is a superior product.

I am also anxiously waiting for the Latin-English Roman Breviary that Baronius will eventually publish. I am learning Latin as we speak and I would like to pray the Divine Office daily in Latin with an English translation to really help me master the language.

http://www.baroniuspress.com/forthcoming_books.htm

English-Latin Breviary
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We are continuing to press on with the enormous work of republishing the Traditional Breviary. We have realised that it is impossible to complete this task this year, mainly due to the time spent on preparing our paperback classics series, for which we sincerely apologise. We would like to assure all those eagerly waiting for this Breviary, that we are putting all our efforts into ensuring that it will published as quickly as possible in 2007. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In the meantime, we can reassure all those who have given us their suggestions, that we are going to great lengths to ensure that when the Breviary is launched it is authentic to the 1962 edition, whilst including the much loved traditional latin psalter.[/FONT]

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm happy with my Baronius Press one, fwiw.

According to their webpage, they're preparing a special Motu Proprio edition.

Yes it will be ready September 14th, Feast of the Triumph of the Holy Cross, the date that the Motu Proprio will go into effect. It will be the same as their other missals, it will just also have the Motu Proprio in the missal as well in both Latin and English.

Man I'm so excited!

Upvote 0

WordofGod

True LOVE never Fails and Casts out fear.
Supporter
Jun 11, 2006
The best country in the world.
✟62,459.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Brethren,

I am considering buying the 1962 Missal, and was curious what you would recommend. I am interested in the one published by Baronius Press, as opposed to the one by Angelus Press, since it has a real leather cover (not sure if there is any significant difference between the two missals, in terms of content).

Also, I would be curious to hear any other recommendations. Perhaps cheaper than a tank of gas?

Blessings,

-Davide
Are you a collector of sorts? And before you answer it is nice to see you post again. I haven't noticed to many of your posts as of late but perhaps I haven't been on enough either.:crossrc:

Upvote 0

BillH

Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am also anxiously waiting for the Latin-English Roman Breviary that Baronius will eventually publish. I am learning Latin as we speak and I would like to pray the Divine Office daily in Latin with an English translation to really help me master the language.

http://www.baroniuspress.com/forthcoming_books.htm

English-Latin Breviary
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We are continuing to press on with the enormous work of republishing the Traditional Breviary. We have realised that it is impossible to complete this task this year, mainly due to the time spent on preparing our paperback classics series, for which we sincerely apologise. We would like to assure all those eagerly waiting for this Breviary, that we are putting all our efforts into ensuring that it will published as quickly as possible in 2007. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In the meantime, we can reassure all those who have given us their suggestions, that we are going to great lengths to ensure that when the Breviary is launched it is authentic to the 1962 edition, whilst including the much loved traditional latin psalter.[/FONT]

I'm curious about that one too. I doubt that I'd actually use it on a regular basis, but I think that it would be interesting to see (assuming that it's reasonably priced.) If there's one thing about Baronius that I don't like, it's that they seem to have diverted a lot of energy into the paperback classics series, which mainly just seems to be reprints of public domain material that's already widely available. I want stuff that you can't get elsewhere!

Though, that being said, I bought their edition of the Catechism of the Council of Trent. :sorry:

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Brian, Bill, Jeff,
Thank you for the tips. I will likely go with the Baronius Press missal, since it seems to be of better quality than the one by Angelus Press. Do you know of any good deals going on now?

Are you a collector of sorts? And before you answer it is nice to see you post again. I haven't noticed to many of your posts as of late but perhaps I haven't been on enough either.:crossrc:

Hi WordofGod,
It's good to see you too. :) I have not been on lately because I have been preparing to enter monastic life. But considering the magnitue of what just happened Yestuday, I could not help but stop by the forums (I also needed to be compelled to finally buy a 1962 missal, rather than continuing to use the paper missals handed to us at Mass).

Blessings,

-Davide

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So the one here:
http://www.baroniuspress.com/book.php?wid=56&bid=4
would also have the readings for Sundays, as well as weekdays, or is it just the liturgical prayers (ok, so the proclamation of Scripture could be considered a form of prayer...but you all know what I mean, I think)?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ProCommunioneFacior

Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So the one here:
http://www.baroniuspress.com/book.php?wid=56&bid=4
would also have the readings for Sundays, as well as weekdays, or is it just the liturgical prayers (ok, so the proclamation of Scripture could be considered a form of prayer...but you all know what I mean, I think)?

Yes, the Baronius Press 1962 Missal, has propers for every day of the year and feast.

The Propers being (Introit, Collect, Epistle, Gradual, Tract/Alleleuia, Sequences, Gospel, Offertory, Secret, Communion and Post Communion).

In addition to many popular prayers and devotions, Benediction/Exposition, and of course the Ordinary of the Mass.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟60,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not looking to buy a '62 missal right now. I am no where near having the funds. But perhaps for Christmas or the like one year I will get a gift certificate or something from a friend or relative (That is always what I request when asked what I want), and might consider it at that time. It seems like it'd be a really nice thing to have. And, as I am wont to do, I'm already thinking about which missal I might hypothetically acquire many months from now. I like to plan. :)

So, my question for those of you who have seen both missals is: Which one has more "extras", if either? I think I'd get more out of something that had some descriptive passages about the liturgical year, saints, and that sort of thing and maybe some nice traditional prints of icons and prayers, maybe a list of Popes, rosary instructions, or something similar. :) I assume one or both of these might be more than just the mass itself and the propers, like an Anglican Book of Common Prayer, where one can flip through it at home and get a lot out of it. Also, which has larger print? My eye sight isn't very good.

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am not looking to buy a '62 missal right now. I am no where near having the funds. But perhaps for Christmas or the like one year I will get a gift certificate or something from a friend or relative (That is always what I request when asked what I want), and might consider it at that time. It seems like it'd be a really nice thing to have. And, as I am wont to do, I'm already thinking about which missal I might hypothetically acquire many months from now. I like to plan. :)

So, my question for those of you who have seen both missals is: Which one has more "extras", if either? I think I'd get more out of something that had some descriptive passages about the liturgical year, saints, and that sort of thing and maybe some nice traditional prints of icons and prayers, maybe a list of Popes, rosary instructions, or something similar. :) I assume one or both of these might be more than just the mass itself and the propers, like an Anglican Book of Common Prayer, where one can flip through it at home and get a lot out of it. Also, which has larger print? My eye sight isn't very good.

I am only familiar with Baronius and Angelus (much more familiar with Baronius) and I think they are about the same in regards to the extras.

In regards to type size, the Angelus and the Baronius are about the same I think for the English, but I believe the Angelus type size for the Latin is a little larger than Baronius's.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟60,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I see some of my questions were answered before my post. My apologies. I haven't been getting much sleep lately. The people in the apartment above me make a lot of noise late at night. I don't mean to be redundant, but I'm slipping a bit, I suppose! :) Anyhow, would still love to get some more perspectives and answers to anything that hasn't already been answered. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟60,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am only familiar with Baronius and Angelus (much more familiar with Baronius) and I think they are about the same in regards to the extras.

In regards to type size, the Angelus and the Baronius are about the same I think for the English, but I believe the Angelus type size for the Latin is a little larger than Baronius's.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I just found this excellent comparison of the two missals for inquiring minds, :)

Angelus Press: 1962 Roman Catholic Daily Missal

Baronius Press: Roman Catholic Daily Missal (1962)

These are the first two complete Latin-English missals -- for the traditional Latin Mass according to the 1962 rubrics currently applicable for indult Masses -- to be published in the 40 years since Vatican II.

They actually are different digitally typeset reprintings -- with slightly different internal arrangements and occasionally inserted commentaries -- of essentially the same missal based on the 1962 Missale Romanum and Breviary, one that dates back in many of its English translations to a venerable pre-Vatican II Marian Missal (by Fr. Sylvester Juergens) which in some of its many editions bore the more fully descriptive title Roman Missal and Liturgical Manual. Thus, in addition to all the proper and ordinary Mass prayers and readings in two-column Latin-English, each includes hundreds of pages of supplementary material (everything in parallel Latin and English) -- all the usual litanies, anthems, and devotions around which the personal piety and practice of traditionally minded Catholics is centered, Sunday vespers and compline, morning and evening prayers, prayers for before and after Holy Communion, summaries of Catholic belief and lore (in case you need a reminder of the twelve fruits of the Holy Ghost, for instance). Public devotions such as Forty Hours and First Friday, Stations of the Cross and Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament are included also, along with the traditional Eucharistic hymns and prayers that many Catholics now use especially in the Eucharistic adoration outside of Mass that our Holy Father urges. Each missal ends with a brief Kyriale providing common Gregorian chant settings for the Asperges, Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei.

The only differences in selection I've spotted are the inclusion of the Chaplet of Divine Mercy and the luminous mysteries of the Rosary in the Baronius Press (BP) missal, and the inclusion of the Pope Leo XIII's simple rite of exorcism and the longer form of his well-known prayer to St. Michael the Archangel in the Angelus Press (AP) missal. The BP missal does not include the marginal comments on the Canon prayers that I previously quoted from the AP missal, but uses the extra space to print these prayers in wider columns.

Thus the only real differences are in physical format and font selection. The BP missal has 3.7"x6.1" pages somewhat smaller than the 4.2"x6.8" pages of the AP missal. The BP missal has 2216 pages and a thickness of 2", whereas the AP missal has 1980 pages and a thickness of 1.4" (and therefore a slightly more svelte appearance -- its volume is about 40 cubic inches as opposed to 45 cubic inches for the BP missal). The typefaces are different, those in the BP missal appearing a bit smaller (though perhaps a bit more elegant) than those in the AP missal. Some people may find the Latin text more easily read in the AP missal, whereas the BP missal may appear to emphasize the readability of the English text.

Each is a sumptuously bound volume like "they just don't make anymore", Smythe-sewn to last a lifetime, with gold-gilt paper edges and 5 or 6 liturgically colored ribbons. Each has a flexible gold-embossed black cover -- real leather in the case of the BP missal, polymer that looks and feels like genuine leather for the AP missal. The AP paper is a clean white, while the BP paper is more cream-colored.

It seems impossible to choose between these two volumes that both represent the height of the bookman's craft. Side by side, I sometimes think I prefer the feel of the AP missal and the look of the BP missal, then wonder whether I've got it backwards. So I'm fortunate to be a missal junkie who just had to order both. Anyone who buys either will without doubt treasure it as long as he or she lives.

I hope that the presently dawning golden age of traditional Latin-English missals presages a wider and more generous availability of the "Mass of the Ages" to faithful Catholics everywhere -- in the spirit of the following paragraph from Bishop Fabian Bruskewitz's foreword to the BP missal:

"It is my hope that this finely produced hand missal will also serve to introduce those unfamiliar with the traditional Roman Rite to its particular beauty. May it likewise contribute to the understanding that the older rites need not be disdained in order to appreciate the new, nor must the new rites be disparaged in order to love the old. In the Diocese of Lincoln, both the traditional and the new Roman rites are available to the faithful, and are celebrated with dignity. Those who participate in one or both of these forms of the Roman rite do so in a spirit of mutual appreciation and peace. It is my humble prayer that this publication will promote the same spirit of mutual respect among Catholics everywhere, regardless of the form of the Roman Rite they use to give honor and glory to God.”

This beautiful statement surely describes a wholesome spirit in which the old and new Masses can complement each other and enrich the worship of all faithful Catholics.

Henry Edwards

http://www.knoxlatinmass.net/2missals.htm

Reactions: Rising_Suns
Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have a Saint Joseph Daily Missal that once belonged to my deceased uncle. I couldn't part with it due to the sentimental value but how can I tell what year it is from with certainty?

The dates given in the publishing notice are "1959 by Catholic Book Publishing Co., N.Y. United States and Canada - printed in U.S.A. New Edition c 1961...". The table of Sundays and Movable Feasts starts with 1962. Does this make it from 1962 or 1961?

I also still have my Marian Children's Massbook from 1974 :)

I'm not sure what year it would be:sorry: .

However, please feel free to find a local Traditional Latin Mass and take your Missal with you. When was the last time you've been to Mass?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.