Looking for Christian book recommendations!

Leona_firefly

Book lover!
Oct 5, 2023
Little Rock, Arkansas
Visit site
✟1,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Here are some suggestions:

Evidence that Demands a Verdict by Josh and Sean McDowell (get the latest version).
Death and Atonement of Christ by Dr. William Lane Craig.
A Rebel's Manifesto: Choosing Truth, Real Justice & Love amidst the Noise of Today's World by Dr. Sean McDowell
The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus by Dr. Gary Habermas
Thank you, Jesse! I was enamored with "Evidence That Demandsa Verdict." I have "A Rebel's Manifesto on my book shelf at the moment, and it's in my queue!

Upvote 0

Leona_firefly

Book lover!
Oct 5, 2023
Little Rock, Arkansas
Visit site
✟1,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
So many good books to choose from! How to pick? :)

Here are a couple of relatively new books that I've read in the last couple of years.

Simply Good News, by N. T. Wright, and Simply Jesus, also by N. T. Wright.
I went to these two books looking for an answer to "Why is the gospel good news?", because the Christian message, as I often hear it told, isn't good news at all. Wright has an intriguing answer to the question, well-grounded in the New Testament and its history. N. T. Wright is an Anglican bishop and a New Testament scholar.

Reading While Black: African American Biblical Interpretation as an Exercise in Hope, by Esau McCaulley.
The book club at my church read this book together and discussed it a few months ago. McCaulley describes an approach to the Bible that emphasizes Big Picture themes rather than isolated verses. That's an approach that should have been obvious all along, but it wasn't obvious to me until I read it in McCaulley's book. Dr. McCaulley teaches New Testament at Wheaton College.

Accidental Saints: Finding God in All the Wrong People, by Nadia Bolz-Weber.
This book is nonfiction, but it's a collection of stories about people, and Bolz-Weber is a compelling storyteller. The people in this book are a complicated mix of good and evil -- as, indeed, all humans are -- and Bolz-Weber, through their stories, tells us about sin and forgiveness and grace. The stories are woven together with quotes from the Holy Week liturgy. Nadia Bolz-Weber is a Lutheran pastor.
I've read the N.T. Wright books, but I just did some research on the other titles you recommended and OH. MY. GOODNESS. They all sound so interesting! They'll soon be in my cart! Thank you so much PloverWing!

Upvote 0

Leona_firefly

Book lover!
Oct 5, 2023
Little Rock, Arkansas
Visit site
✟1,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Leona (@Leona_firefly), first off, WELCOME TO CF :wave:

As far book recommendations go, here are a couple. First, an autobiography that, if it was fiction and hadn't really happened, would be a nearly impossible story to believe. Make sure to start reading it early in the day because you may not be able to put it down. I couldn't, and neither could my pastor when he read it :) You will laugh, you will cry, and you will be utterly amazed!! My favorite chapter is called "Jesus, the Motilone".

View attachment 337307

Bruchko: The Astonishing True Story of a 19-Year-Old American, His Capture by the Motilone Indians and His Adventures in Christianizing the Stone Age Tribe.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis - a Christian Classic and a GREAT read as well. It's fictional, but it will help you understand what Satan's demons are up to in your life, as well as help you to recognize their "flaming arrows" for what they really are far more quickly.

It's actually a collection of short stories by Lewis that he wrote from the demons POV, which means that when you see the word "Enemy" in this book, for instance, it's referring to God (as the stories are mostly a dialogue between two demons, Uncle Screwtape and his nephew, Wormwood).

BTW, the stories were first read on the air (on radio) in the 1940's by Lewis himself.

God bless you!! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David
p.s. - I'll give :oldthumbsup: :oldthumbsup: to @Wings like Eagles book choices above, and add another too, Knowing God by Dr. J. I. Packer.
Oh my goodness David, The Screwtape Letters is in my top 10 fave books of all time! Such an engrossing read!

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,381.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
myst33 - Oh wow. A lot of these are over my head lol.... I've read The Great Divorce though, and it was such an amazing book. And thank you a bunch for the recommendations!
Labyrinth of the World is a fiction, so maybe you can start with this, its a lighter reading (at least on a surface).

However, if you prefer more American contemporary literature, Andy Andrews - The Traveler's Gift, is something I remember was interesting and quite easy to read.

Last edited:
Upvote 0