Looking for Christian book recommendations!

Leona_firefly

Book lover!
Oct 5, 2023
Little Rock, Arkansas
Visit site
✟1,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Hi all! My name is Leona, from Little Rock. I hope to have great convos here. I'm a big bibliophile and if you have any recommendations for great Christian books, fiction or nonfiction, I'm all eyes!

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Here are some suggestions:

Evidence that Demands a Verdict by Josh and Sean McDowell (get the latest version).
Death and Atonement of Christ by Dr. William Lane Craig.
A Rebel's Manifesto: Choosing Truth, Real Justice & Love amidst the Noise of Today's World by Dr. Sean McDowell
The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus by Dr. Gary Habermas

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hi all! My name is Leona, from Little Rock. I hope to have great convos here. I'm a big bibliophile and if you have any recommendations for great Christian books, fiction or nonfiction, I'm all eyes!
Stormie Omartian

Stormie Omartian is the best-selling author of The Power of a Praying series with over 32 million books sold worldwide. In high demand as an international speaker, Stormie's passion is to help people know God and love Him in a deep way.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So many good books to choose from! How to pick? :)

Here are a couple of relatively new books that I've read in the last couple of years.

Simply Good News, by N. T. Wright, and Simply Jesus, also by N. T. Wright.
I went to these two books looking for an answer to "Why is the gospel good news?", because the Christian message, as I often hear it told, isn't good news at all. Wright has an intriguing answer to the question, well-grounded in the New Testament and its history. N. T. Wright is an Anglican bishop and a New Testament scholar.

Reading While Black: African American Biblical Interpretation as an Exercise in Hope, by Esau McCaulley.
The book club at my church read this book together and discussed it a few months ago. McCaulley describes an approach to the Bible that emphasizes Big Picture themes rather than isolated verses. That's an approach that should have been obvious all along, but it wasn't obvious to me until I read it in McCaulley's book. Dr. McCaulley teaches New Testament at Wheaton College.

Accidental Saints: Finding God in All the Wrong People, by Nadia Bolz-Weber.
This book is nonfiction, but it's a collection of stories about people, and Bolz-Weber is a compelling storyteller. The people in this book are a complicated mix of good and evil -- as, indeed, all humans are -- and Bolz-Weber, through their stories, tells us about sin and forgiveness and grace. The stories are woven together with quotes from the Holy Week liturgy. Nadia Bolz-Weber is a Lutheran pastor.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello Leona (@Leona_firefly), first off, WELCOME TO CF :wave:

As far book recommendations go, here are a couple. First, an autobiography that, if it was fiction and hadn't really happened, would be a nearly impossible story to believe. Make sure to start reading it early in the day because you may not be able to put it down. I couldn't, and neither could my pastor when he read it :) You will laugh, you will cry, and you will be utterly amazed!! My favorite chapter is called "Jesus, the Motilone".

1696568538706.png

Bruchko: The Astonishing True Story of a 19-Year-Old American, His Capture by the Motilone Indians and His Adventures in Christianizing the Stone Age Tribe.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis - a Christian Classic and a GREAT read as well. It's fictional, but it will help you understand what Satan's demons are up to in your life, as well as help you to recognize their "flaming arrows" for what they really are far more quickly.

It's actually a collection of short stories by Lewis that he wrote from the demons POV, which means that when you see the word "Enemy" in this book, for instance, it's referring to God (as the stories are mostly a dialogue between two demons, Uncle Screwtape and his nephew, Wormwood).

BTW, the stories were first read on the air (on radio) in the 1940's by Lewis himself.

God bless you!! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David
p.s. - I'll give :oldthumbsup: :oldthumbsup: to @Wings like Eagles book choices above, and add another too, Knowing God by Dr. J. I. Packer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christoph Maria

Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return...
Sep 10, 2022
Göteborg, Sweden
✟66,727.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour

0f850fba0aced026357cca14c3afc50b_(4).gif

Welcome to Christian Forums!

LORD, those who know you will trust in You.
You have never deserted those who look to You.
Psalms 9:10

"Here is what I am commanding you to do:
Be strong and brave.
Do not be terrified.
Do not lose hope.
I am the LORD your God.
I will be with you everywhere you go."

Joshua 1:9

"Judah, listen to me!
People of Jerusalem, listen to me!
Have faith in the LORD your God.
He'll take good care of you.
Have faith in his prophets.
Then you will have success."

2 Chronicles 20:20

Some trust in chariots.
Some trust in horses.
But we trust in the LORD our God.

Psalms 20:7

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shadowhunter

+collaboratively study, ~ debate, -fight.
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
✟60,940.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I may be a bit biased. If you wish to see the dietary law in a completely different way...

Using a first century hermeneutic: The clean animal is the good teacher who meditates on the word and it produces a holy walk.

You can get on Amazon or free here:

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Hi it's so nice to meet you. Here are some good suggestions:

A Case for Amillennialism: Understanding The End Times by Kim Riddlebarger

Jesus and Israel, One Covenant or Two? By David Earl Holwerda

Pilgrim's Progress in modern English by John Bunyan

This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti, though all his books are engaging and if you like it looks like you can potentially pick up the first 3 books he wrote as a collection.

It's likely if you look you might be able to find these books in a library. You can often get harder to find items through your libraries ebook program. I love libraries myself. My local library has all of Peretti's books in stock, as well as several books by Bunyan. The other two I purchased.

Hopefully this might give you some engaging material to read.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome Leona! I suggest anything by CS Lewis. :) I like to read Catholic literature as well but I’m not sure if you’d be interested in that.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anything by Derek Prince.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,381.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
J. Komenský - Unum Necessarium

G.W. Leibniz - Theodicy

J. Komenský - Labyrinth of the World and Paradise of the Heart
J. Hus - De Ecclesia
J. Calvin - Institutes
M. Luther - Catechisms
C.S.Lewis - Mere Christianity
C.S.Lewis - The Great Divorce

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leona_firefly

Book lover!
Oct 5, 2023
Little Rock, Arkansas
Visit site
✟1,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
  • Friendly
Reactions: d taylor
Upvote 0

Leona_firefly

Book lover!
Oct 5, 2023
Little Rock, Arkansas
Visit site
✟1,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
J. Komenský - Unum Necessarium

G.W. Leibniz - Theodicy

J. Komenský - Labyrinth of the World and Paradise of the Heart
J. Hus - De Ecclesia
J. Calvin - Institutes
M. Luther - Catechisms
C.S.Lewis - Mere Christianity
C.S.Lewis - The Great Divorce
myst33 - Oh wow. A lot of these are over my head lol.... I've read The Great Divorce though, and it was such an amazing book. And thank you a bunch for the recommendations!

• Friendly
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

Leona_firefly

Book lover!
Oct 5, 2023
Little Rock, Arkansas
Visit site
✟1,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status