Smiths Falls
✟9,534.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone, I'm looking for information you might have gained on what the truth behind the day of rest is. Is it Sunday? What are we actually supposed to do on Sabbath? Should we really stay home and rest and do nothing? And what about the scripture in the NT when Jesus describes the Sabbath as being made for man and not the other way around? If the Sabbath isn't Sunday how do we find out when it actually is, I've heard accounts of people saying Sabbath is Saturday, others have said its tied to the moon cycle somehow.... any answers would be greatly appreciated!

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone, I'm looking for information you might have gained on what the truth behind the day of rest is. Is it Sunday? What are we actually supposed to do on Sabbath? Should we really stay home and rest and do nothing? And what about the scripture in the NT when Jesus describes the Sabbath as being made for man and not the other way around? If the Sabbath isn't Sunday how do we find out when it actually is, I've heard accounts of people saying Sabbath is Saturday, others have said its tied to the moon cycle somehow.... any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Hi brother Justbreathing, big welcome to CF here and so great to meet you :)

Firstly, I would like to say before sharing anything with you here that it is wise when seeking God's truth through his Word to prayerfully ask JESUS for his Spirit to be your guide and teacher. Here are a few promises to get you started here in *JOHN 14:26; 16:13: 7:17.

God's promises are conditional of course of continuing in his Word *JOHN 8:31-36. We can only find God's truth as we seek it through God's WORD because JESUS is the truth *JOHN 14:6. God's promise to be our teacher is part of the NEW COVENANT promise *HEBREWS 8:11 so if you have faith in God's WORD and genuinely wish to know God's truth God's promise is that he will be your teacher IF you CONTINUE in his Word.

For me regarding God's 4th Commandment start off by reading what God's 4th commandment says..

HOW DO WE KEEP THE SABBATH?

WHAT DOES GOD'S 4TH COMMANDMENT SAY?

EXODUS 20:8-11
[8], Remember the SABBATH DAY, to KEEP IT HOLY. <Why?> Because God made it Holy for mankind and commands us to keep it as a Holy day)
[9], Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:
[10], But the SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: <WHY>
[11], For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the SEVENTH DAY: wherefore the LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH, and HALLOWED IT.

WHAT DAY IS GOD'S SABBATH?

v10 The SEVENTH DAY of the week. (Saturday)

WHEN DOES THE SEVENTH DAY OF THE WEEK START?

GENESIS 1:4-5
[4], And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
[5], And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

A day in God's time is the night (darkness) and the light make up one day. The DAY in God's WORD starts at SUNSET and ends the following SUNSET. So God's 4th Commandment Sabbath would start Friday at SUNSET and end Saturday at SUNSET.

ALL UNECCESSARY WORK TO BE DONE BEFORE FRIDAY SUNSET

EXODUS 16:22-23
[22], And it came to pass, that on the sixth day they gathered twice as much bread, two omers for one man: and all the rulers of the congregation came and told Moses.
[23], And he said to them, This is that which the LORD has said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath to the LORD: bake that which you will bake to day, and seethe that you will seethe; and that which remains over lay up for you to be kept until the morning.

MARK 15:42, And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath

The preparation day is the 6th day of the week. This includes preparing to stop all business and secular work as well as any domestic work; cooking, cleaning; shopping, buying and selling that can be done on any other day of the week.

IT IS LAWFUL TO DO GOOD ON THE SABBATH?

MATTHEW 12:5-12
[5], Or have you not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
[6], But I say to you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
[7], But if you had known what this means, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, you would not have condemned the guiltless.
[8], For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day
[9], And when he was departed from there, he went into their synagogue:
[10], And, behold, there was a man who had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
[11], And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
[12], How much then is a man better than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

MARK 2:27, And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath

It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.

WHAT IS LAWFUL ON GOD'S SABBATH?

1. Remembering the creator and his creation (Exod 20:8-11)
2. Rest from all unnecessary work (Ecodus 20:10-11)
3. Doing good (Matt 12:12)
4. Prayer (Acts 16:13; Matt 21:13)
5. Worship the creator (Isaiah 58:13-14; Exodus 34:14; 1KING 9:6; Revelation 14:6-12)

Song, praise, bible study, helping others, preaching the gospel, resting, prayer, seeking God, remembering the creator and his creation. Walking in nature, going to church with like minded believers. (too many scriptures)

WHAT IS NOT LAWFUL ON GOD'S SABBATH?

WORK; all business and secular work as well as any domestic work; cooking, cleaning; shopping, buying and selling that can be done on any other day of the week and anything to do with work (Exodus 20:8-11; Exodus 16:22-23; Matthew 21:13).

There is no purpose in FOLLOWING any of God's LAWs including the SABBATH if it is NOT done through FAITH that works by LOVE because it is ONLY as GOD writes his LAW to LOVE then we can take up our beds to follow him. LOVE is the fulfilling of GOd's LAW in those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD (Romans 13:8-10; Ephesians 2:8) and is why JESUS says; IF you LOVE me keep my commandments *John 14:15.

There are other threads and topics here. Make God your trust and guide however. You will only find JESUS and his truth through his WORD.

God bless brother and welcome again. :wave:

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟677,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was just reading a thread in another sub forum where there is a distinction between the Sabbath and the Lord's Day. The Sabbath is still Saturday but the New Covenant worship day is the Day of the Lord, the first day of the week, which is Sunday. Worth a quick look.

Orthodox View of the Day of Worship and Shabbat

Reactions: Justbreathing
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I was just reading a thread in another sub forum where there is a distinction between the Sabbath and the Lord's Day. The Sabbath is still Saturday but the New Covenant worship day is the Day of the Lord, the first day of the week, which is Sunday. Worth a quick look.

Jesus said something very interesting to the Samaritan woman. He said, "You worship in this mountain, and the Jews worship at Jerusalem, but the day is coming when folks will do neither. They shall worship God in Spirit and in truth."

Paul said something interesting:
"But now that you know God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you are turning back to those weak and worthless principles? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? You are observing special days and months and seasons and years! I fear for you, that my efforts for you may have been in vain" (Galatians 4:9-11).

What Paul is saying is that observing special days, including the Sabbath is following a weak and worthless principle, and it is a form of spiritual slavery. Those who went back to Judaistic types of observance made Paul feel that his work for them was in vain.

This makes me think that the previous comprehensive and persuasive post saying that we must keep the Jewish Sabbath might be in vain, because Paul says that keeping special days is weak and worthless as far as God is concerned.

Worshiping God in Spirit and in truth can happen on any day and at any time of day. The SDA church is not alone in having special days and seasons. Many churches observe Easter, Christmas, Palm Sunday, Anniversaries, Feast days, etc. They are just as worthless. Some go to church only at Christmas and Easter and think they have done their Christian duty, but God is wanting them to worship Him every day of the week. Even Sunday, treated super-religiously as the Sabbath is just as worthless in God's sight.

I have had better times of worship with God walking down an isolated beach for a couple of hours, than in any church service lasting as long.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟677,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some go to church only at Christmas and Easter and think they have done their Christian duty, but God is wanting them to worship Him every day of the week. Even Sunday, treated super-religiously as the Sabbath is just as worthless in God's sight.

I have had better times of worship with God walking down an isolated beach for a couple of hours, than in any church service lasting as long.

Thank you brother! This is exactly what I needed to hear.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Just another view on what the LORD'S DAY is according to the scriptures.

THE LORD’S DAY IS THE SABBATH

Let's start by looking at your scriptures that many use to claim SUNDAY is the "LORD'S DAY"

REVELATIONS 1:9-11 [9] I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. [10], I was in the Spirit on the LORD'S DAY, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, [11], Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What you see, write in a book, and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia; to Ephesus, and to Smyrna, and to Pergamos, and to Thyatira, and to Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.

No doubt about it Revelations 1:10 clearly says that John was in the SPIRIT on the "LORD'S DAY"!

NOW the only problem you have is the need to show scripture that says SUNDAY IS THE LORD'S DAY.

Can you please provide scripture that says SUNDAY or the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK is the "LORD'S DAY"?

If you cannot find any scriptures to say that SUNDAY is the "LORD'S DAY" then you have a problem.

Now let's look at the scriptures that give the answer to our question

Q. WHAT DAY IS THE "LORD'S DAY" ACCORDING TO SCRIPTURE?

A.
MATTHEW 12:8 [8], FOR THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY.

Which day is the Lord's Day? THE SABBATH DAY (MATTHEW 12:8; MARK 2:27-28)

God's WORD alone says that the SABBATH DAY IS THE LORD'S DAY!

There is NO scripture that says Sunday or the FIRST DAY of the week is the Lords Day. God's Word says the Lord's day is the Sabbath day. This is the day God rested on, he set apart and made a Holy day at the completion of the creation week and made a memorial for all mankind (Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:8-11). Jesus is the God of creation and he is the Lord of the Sabbath day (Matthew 12:8; Mark 2:27-28)

Now friend's the SABBATH is the 4th Commandment of God's 10 Commandments and there is not one scripture in ALL of God's WORD that says that God's 4th Commandment has been ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to keep SUNDAY as a HOLY DAY. The same as there is not one scripture in ALL of God's WORD that says that SUNDAY is the LORD'S DAY.

John in the book of REVELATIONS 1:10 was in the SPIRIT on the SABBATH DAY not SUNDAY!

HOW WAS THE LORD'S DAY CHANGED TO SUNDAY?

SUNDAY Worship is a teaching and tradition of men handed down by the Roman Catholic Church that has lead many to break and ignore God's 4th Commandment (Exodus 20:8-11)

ARE YOU FOLLOWING A MAN MADE TRADITION IN SUNDAY WORSHIP?

God's WORD is very clear. If we follow the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God then we are not following God...

MATTHEW 15:3-9
[3], But he answered and said to them, Why do you also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
[4], For God commanded, saying, Honor your father and mother: and, He that curses father or mother, let him die the death.
[5], But you say, Whoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatever you might be profited by me;
[6], And honor not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have you made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
[7], You hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
[8], This people draws near to me with their mouth, and honors me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
[9], But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Who do we believe and follow? The teachings and traditions of men or the WORD of God? Only God's WORD is true and we should BELIEVE and FOLLOW it over the teachings and traditions of men that break the commandments of God.

SIN is breaking any of God's 10 Commandments (Romans 7:7; Romans 3:20; James 2:11; 1 John 3:4) Those who CONTINUE in KNOWN UNREPENTANT SIN will NOT ENTER the KINGDOM of HEAVEN.

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a Holy day.

In times of ignorance God winks at but when as knowledge of the truth has come God calls on all men everywhere to repent and believe his Word (Acts 17:30-31)

God's is calling his people to come out from following the traditions of men to worship him in Spirit and in truth.

God knows many follow these traditions from ignorance because they do not know any better. He loves all and is calling all who have ears to hear and eyes to see. Seek him in prayer asking for his Spirit to guide and teach you. He promises to be your guide and teacher. (John 14:26; 16:13: 7:17)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,150.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I like what Oscar wrote but i am not in 100% agreement. Its good to have special days of celebration. Easter, advent etc. People to gather in Jesus's name.

As for the Sabbath, so many threads on it these days. Each like a fast spinning roundabout.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi.

The Sabbath is Saturday, but the Lord's Day (the day of the Resurrection) is Sunday. The two are not synonymous.

On the Sabbath, we should avoid non-essential work if possible. Someone in the medical field is generally exempt from this rule, as are gas station attendants, etc. If society won't break down without you, you should rest if you can (though you're free to go shopping and such if you desire- "rest" can also mean recreation, so do what is enjoyable to you).

Alternatively, it's a great act of charity to help those who need rest the most on the Sabbath. Volunteering at a food pantry, soup kitchen, etc. are great ways to grant rest to those who need it.

Ultimately, the Sabbath is a symbol of the eternal rest we can gain in Heaven, and we should try to live the Sabbath out as holy as we can.

• Winner
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said something very interesting to the Samaritan woman. He said, "You worship in this mountain, and the Jews worship at Jerusalem, but the day is coming when folks will do neither. They shall worship God in Spirit and in truth."

Paul said something interesting:
"But now that you know God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you are turning back to those weak and worthless principles? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? You are observing special days and months and seasons and years! I fear for you, that my efforts for you may have been in vain" (Galatians 4:9-11).

What Paul is saying is that observing special days, including the Sabbath is following a weak and worthless principle, and it is a form of spiritual slavery. Those who went back to Judaistic types of observance made Paul feel that his work for them was in vain.

This makes me think that the previous comprehensive and persuasive post saying that we must keep the Jewish Sabbath might be in vain, because Paul says that keeping special days is weak and worthless as far as God is concerned.

Worshiping God in Spirit and in truth can happen on any day and at any time of day. The SDA church is not alone in having special days and seasons. Many churches observe Easter, Christmas, Palm Sunday, Anniversaries, Feast days, etc. They are just as worthless. Some go to church only at Christmas and Easter and think they have done their Christian duty, but God is wanting them to worship Him every day of the week. Even Sunday, treated super-religiously as the Sabbath is just as worthless in God's sight.

We should worship God everyday. That has never been the issue with God's 4th commandment which is one of the 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what SIN is if broken *ROMANS 3:20. The issue is in what God has said in relation to God's 4th Commandment which reads...

EXODUS 20:8-11
[8], Remember the SABBATH DAY, to KEEP IT HOLY. <Why?> Because God made it Holy for mankind and commands us to keep it as a Holy day)
[9], Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:
[10], But the SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD thy God: in it THOU SHALT NOT DO ANY WORK, [KEEPING THE SABBATH AS A HOLY DAY OF REST MEANS NOT DOING ANY OF OUR WORK IN IT] thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: <WHY>
[11], For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the SEVENTH DAY: wherefore the LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH, and HALLOWED IT [Reference back to GENESIS 2:1-3].

GENESIS 2:1-3 shows that GOD BLESSED and set apart the SEVENTH DAY of the WEEK as a HOLY DAY of rest where NO WORK is to be done. God made the SABBATH for ALL mankind BEFORE SIN and the fall of mankind. JESUS is the LORD of the SABBATH *MARK 2:27-28 and has commanded his people to REMEMBER the SEVENTH DAY SABBATH as a HOLY DAY where NO WORK is to be done *EXODUS 20:8-11. God's 4th Commandment is one of God's 10 commandments that give us the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL; SIN AND RIGHTOUESNESS if broken *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; PSALMS 119:172. If we KNOWINGLY break any one of God's 10 Commandments we stand guilty before God of SIN *JAMES 2:10-11 and are in danger of the judgment unless we seek JESUS in Confession and repentance. SIN (breaking any one of God's 10 commandmetns) will keep all those who KNOWINGLY CONTINUE in it out of God's KINGDOM *HEBREWS 10:26-27 because they reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23.

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27; JAMES 2:8-12)

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to KEEP Sunday as a Holy day.

Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God? Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God?

In times of ignorance God winks at but now, <when a KNOWLEDGE of the truth has come> calls all men everywhere to REPENT (FOLLOW) (Acts 17:30-31).

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What are we actually supposed to do

Think. A farming community involves lots of hard physical work. God ordained that there should be a day of physical rest for all on one day, a day when they could refrain from hard work, spend time together and worship God.

That is the history, how do we translate that into todays buisy life.
Certainly we should go as a family to church, worship and meet with other Christians. We should spend time together as a family and as far as we can not work or cause others to have to work.

Beyound that it is up to you.

Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Seadish

Oct 16, 2018
Colorado
✟33,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I say as much as we can yes it is a day for rest for totally focusing on God. I have only rarely completely truly done that but wow it's good!!

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Notice that the Sabbath is Saturday - in Acts 13 we see both Jews and gentiles in the synagogue on the Sabbath. So also in Acts 17:1-5 and in Acts 18:1-5. It is very clear that Bible writers affirm that the day the Jews were meeting in the Synagogues in the NT is the Bible Sabbath. So then -- Saturday.

Jesus was resurrected "on the first day of the week" so even Sunday keepers agree that the first day is Sunday making the 7th day Saturday - the Sabbath.

In Exodus 16 God says "tomorrow is the Sabbath" -- telling Moses the very day in their real life that is the Sabbath.

In Ex 20:10 we read "the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD (YHWH)"
In Ex 20:11 and in Gen 2:1-3 we see that it began for mankind in Eden as the 7th day of creation week.
In Mark 2:27 as you point out it was "MADE for mankind". it is a blessing for mankind not just Jews.
In Isaiah 66:23 "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" for all eternity after the cross in the NEW earth when all MANKIND that is left is only the saved not the lost.

In Isaiah 56:6-8 we see gentiles specifically singled out for Sabbath keeping.

In Lev 23:1-3 we see that the 7th day Sabbath is a day of "sacred assembly" of "Holy convocation".

In Isaiah 58:13 we see that it is not a day where one can engage in secular activity.

And of course Christ reminds us it is also a day for helping/healing the sick and preaching the Gospel.

• Informative
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

In the Bible the Lord's day is never said to be "week day 1" - Sunday.
In the Bible the Sabbath is "the Holy day of the Lord" Isaiah 58:13 not week-day-1
In the Bible week-day-1 is never called "The Lord's Day"

There is a document called "the Faith Explained" a Catholic document on the Baltimore Catechism post-Vatican-II and it reminds us that IN THE BIBLE the "Lord's Day" is Saturday - but was changed by man-made-tradition to Sunday.

• Informative
Upvote 0