Gold River, BC
✟9,383.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If God is there, I don't understand why he would allow his own people to create a revival instead of the world ending, either directly through his intervention or man's.

I don't want the world to end soon. I want to experience having a relationship, family, or getting married.

This is one of the biggest dangers of "futurist" thinking (believing that Jesus will come at some point in the future and deliver His People from evil and create a physical paradise on this planet). On the one hand, believers are exhorted to do everything possible to resist evil and darkness and on the other to pray that God would "hasten the day" of Jesus' Return. It's a painfully divided, almost schizophrenic way in which to live and think. Truly, as the Scriptures say, "A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways".

Good news! This planet and human history on it is NEVER GOING TO END! The "world" is NOT going to end. The Bible is not referring to this physical planet or the skies overhead when it talks about the passing away of the "heavens and the earth" and a "new heavens and earth" replacing them. Those are figurative terms referring to the ancient civilization of Israel that passed away forever about 2,000 years ago. No more need to stress out about history coming to an end any day. That's all over and done with. Finished. Rejoice! We all have a future to look forward to and our grandkids and great-grandkids too!

Upvote 0

LightandTruth

Feb 9, 2020
Gold River, BC
✟9,383.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
And if they were able to succeed infiltrating and destabilizing society, I consider that the enemy has already won anyway.
The "enemy" (the Devil? Satan?) is long gone. The wickedness around us today is straight out of the human heart (with some assistance from demons and devils perhaps in certain cases).

Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have similar feelings to OP. I also have anxiety and depression about stuff and that was for a while. It's like, why did I have to be born at the time I was only to be growing up during events and not being quite 30 yet when Jesus returns?

I'm sure many Christians would say they look forward to that, but I'm very much the same in that I "love the world". I don't know why that should be inherently selfish.

To be continued.

Upvote 0

Shadow

Site Supporter
May 29, 2015
✟94,972.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I have similar feelings to OP. I also have anxiety and depression about stuff and that was for a while. It's like, why did I have to be born at the time I was only to be growing up during events and not being quite 30 yet when Jesus returns?

I'm sure many Christians would say they look forward to that, but I'm very much the same in that I "love the world". I don't know why that should be inherently selfish.

To be continued.

Having posted this thread, I have been surprised by the reaction being relatively muted. It would seem there is obviously a way to accept that things will come to an end without it necessarily becoming something to be afraid of or obsess over. I'm hoping to learn from that so I can be more constructive in how I approach things. :)

Reactions: LightandTruth
Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is very sad and devastating is that those who have spoke out about the bad in society were killed or persecuted. And it's even worse today.

Honestly, I wish I was born and grew up in the older generations like my parents at the latest.

• Friendly
Reactions: Shadow
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
In the 5th century St. Augustine of Hippo saw the beginning of the collapse of the western Roman Empire around him. While the Empire remained strong and intact in its eastern half, the western half waned, weakened, and eventually the city of Rome was sacked by barbarians. This was the first time Rome had been invaded by a foreign army since the sack by the Gauls, over 700 years earlier.

The response felt by many Christians was that this must certainly be the end of the world.

It was in the context of Alaric and the Visigoth's sacking of Rome in 410 that Augustine wrote The City of God. In it Augustine makes the distinction between the earthly City of Man, and the heavenly City of God. Human empires and kingdoms come and go, cities rise and cities fall; but the heavenly city remains firm.

Even as we look at the world around us, and it seems as though civilization itself is crumbling. That doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Nations rise and nations fall, kingdoms come and kingdoms go. And yet, time marches on.

We cannot look at the state of the world around us and try and divine the hidden secrets of God's plans and purposes. Indeed, Jesus Christ Himself said that there will be wars and rumors of wars, kingdom rising against kingdom, earthquakes and disasters--but this isn't the end. These are facts of history, they have happened in the past, they happen now, and they will continue to happen in the future. We should not be led astray, letting others try and deceive or take advantage of us claiming the end is just around the corner. There will be false prophets and even false christs, there will be those saying, "See, He's over there!" or "See, He's in the desert!" but Jesus says, "Do not believe them."

He says, "Concerning that day and hour" i.e. of His return "no one knows", and also, "Stay watchful, for you do not know the hour at which your Lord returns". Speaking of this He compares it to the days of Noah, where people were getting married, having children, people working in the fields, making dinner at home--life was normal, going on normally. But then the flood came. So too will the coming of the Lord in Judgment, "Two will be in a field, one taken and the other left" He says.

When the end comes it will not come with great signs and wonders. Christ will come when He comes, and when He comes, that's the conclusion of history. It is not a thing to panic about, it is not something to worry about. It's why the Church prays "Maranatha! Come Lord Jesus!" (Maranatha is Aramaic for "Come, Lord!"

There is an apocryphal story about Martin Luther, the Protestant Reformer, in which he was asked what he would do if he knew the world would end tomorrow, his response was, "I would plant a tree." The Christian ought to live today, for any day could be our last day, we do not know what tomorrow brings; and it is living right now, today, that we have the opportunity to be of some good in the world.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
1) How do you conduct yourself in adversity or the end times in a way that reflects the gravity of the situation and yet is consistent with your moral values and religious beliefs?

I converted at the end of 2016, largely due to a complete existential and moral crisis in the wake of the Trump election. I'd always been intrigued by religion in general and Christianity in particular (though I couldn't have really put my finger on why), but something had been missing. Perhaps a handful of different things, but the major one was true humility. I got caught up in the mass hysteria after the election, spent a day trying to contribute to the Resistance with the sort of tactical, organized calling of representatives that progressive groups were putting together, and eventually realized that I was driving myself crazy because I thought that I was somehow personally responsible for saving the world. That I could somehow make a difference and be more than just one person. That was ego. It was pride masquerading as service.

I'm still worried about complacency. I feel like I should be doing a lot more than I do, though I'm less concerned about the question of what side I would end up on if I ended up in a fascist dystopia. I do not expect to be perfect, or to react as I should in every possible situation, but if I can do a little better today than I did yesterday, that is what counts.

My suggestion: all times are really end times, adversity is around every corner. We have a lower threshold for actually dealing with life than even a century ago, since we don't really face the darker realities of existence in the way that most people historically have had to. Make sure your concern about your own behavior comes from a place of humility rather than pride--you cannot save the world. You do not need to. Do whatever you can, and then be at peace.

2) How do you come to terms with the loneliness of realising that you are surrounded by people who are either moral vacuums, having no clear conscience of their own or no willingness to act or to recognise the situation, or are so genuinely corrupt that they embrace destruction and cannot therefore rely on them to co-operate when things turn bad?

Hmm. Honestly, modern politics have made me grapple with the concept of damnation in ways that I otherwise probably wouldn't have, so this is an interesting question to me.

Do not hate people, no matter how terribly you think they're acting. You don't know what set of circumstances led them to where they are now, and you don't know where their current acts are going to end up leading them. I think it's important to always keep someone's humanity in mind, even if (especially if) you think they're behaving like moral vacuums.

3) How do you ring the alarm bells to stay safe in your own personal life, protect friends and family whilst also keeping yourself calm and composed in the face of such overwhelming odds?

I think the most important thing is accepting that things are ultimately outside of your hands. We're so used to being able to control our environment in ways that were unthinkable in other eras, but at the end of the day, you could die in a car crash tomorrow. Learn to let go at least a little bit. :)

This being said I am not considering converting to Christianity or any major religion and I will concede that is something of a surprise even to myself given the reassurance it may offer.

Hmm. I don't mean to push you, but I always get a bit intrigued when genuine ex-Marxists show up on the site. Marxism is such an odd secularization of Christianity, I think you would benefit from exposure to some of the more Marx-friendly corners of Christian theology. John Milbank and Radical Orthodoxy would be one example, and liberation theology in general would be another. Another very interesting top notch modern Catholic philosopher is Alasdair MacIntyre, who's a former Marxist turned Thomist who still rails against capitalism delightfully. :D

Christianity is about more than just reassurance, from a reformist perspective. It's got the intellectual depth and coherence to actually handle with the clash between social justice and human wretchedness that you seem to be dealing with, so I would suggest engaging with at least this aspect of the theology so that you have a better idea of what precisely you're currently not considering.

Upvote 0

LightandTruth

Feb 9, 2020
Gold River, BC
✟9,383.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What is very sad and devastating is that those who have spoke out about the bad in society were killed or persecuted. And it's even worse today.

Honestly, I wish I was born and grew up in the older generations like my parents at the latest.
The thing is, guys...this planet is NOT going to end. Neither is human history on it. Our countries are in for a bit of a serious struggle for survival here, thanks to internal enemies in Canada and the US that want to bring us to our knees economically and politically. We have to fight back hard intelligently and effectively. We can win this battle and have alot to be proud of when we look back on our efforts to protect our countries from the enemies inside our countries. But it will take time, effort and dedication roughly equivalent to what our enemies are putting into their own efforts against us.

Upvote 0

Shadow

Site Supporter
May 29, 2015
✟94,972.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I converted at the end of 2016, largely due to a complete existential and moral crisis in the wake of the Trump election. I'd always been intrigued by religion in general and Christianity in particular (though I couldn't have really put my finger on why), but something had been missing. Perhaps a handful of different things, but the major one was true humility. I got caught up in the mass hysteria after the election, spent a day trying to contribute to the Resistance with the sort of tactical, organized calling of representatives that progressive groups were putting together, and eventually realized that I was driving myself crazy because I thought that I was somehow personally responsible for saving the world. That I could somehow make a difference and be more than just one person. That was ego. It was pride masquerading as service.

This is something I really need to work on as the ego and pride of thinking I can "make a difference" when the world doesn't really revolve around me and may have other plans. I can well understand this and the way in which news headlines had simply become overwhelmingly negative has meant I've cut down in how much I read. Being happy and confident in dealing with a crisis is more important than panicking on up to the minute information.

I'm glad you have found more balance in your life. We all need to find ways to avoid burnout and to take a step back to find out what really matters. Best wishes to you. :)

Hmm. I don't mean to push you, but I always get a bit intrigued when genuine ex-Marxists show up on the site. Marxism is such an odd secularization of Christianity, I think you would benefit from exposure to some of the more Marx-friendly corners of Christian theology. John Milbank and Radical Orthodoxy would be one example, and liberation theology in general would be another. Another very interesting top notch modern Catholic philosopher is Alasdair MacIntyre, who's a former Marxist turned Thomist who still rails against capitalism delightfully. :D

I get the sense we may well have talked before on CF, as I have had this account for several years, but I can't remember if I know you user name. (I changed my username to Shadow from "Red Economist" in the past).

I feel that my hostility to "religion" is such that it will take time for me to settle down and open up to the lessons I can learn from others. It is something of a mental block born out of habit and personal failing of mine that I need to address. At a glacial pace, I have begun to appreciate that Christianity and religion generally is the accumulation of thousands of years of human experience and wisdom and cannot simply be eliminated overnight for "the one truth faith" (whatever it maybe, including *cough* Marxism. *cough* :D )

I hope that continuing to engage with members on Christian forums will make me more open and take a softer and more understanding approach. We are all human after all and you can't really understand what that means unless you can engage with members from the religion with the largest number of adherents on the planet. It will take some time but I think the itch to proclaim the "death of god" will pass and my oddly adolescent hostility to religion may be replaced by something richer and deeper, even if it is an understanding how man's inner being rather than man and god. I can benefit from the wisdom of others as an atheist and I would grow as a person from doing so. :)

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is something I really need to work on as the ego and pride of thinking I can "make a difference" when the world doesn't really revolve around me and may have other plans. I can well understand this and the way in which news headlines had simply become overwhelmingly negative has meant I've cut down in how much I read. Being happy and confident in dealing with a crisis is more important than panicking on up to the minute information.

I'm glad you have found more balance in your life. We all need to find ways to avoid burnout and to take a step back to find out what really matters. Best wishes to you. :)

Oh, one of my problems was always the echo chamber rather than burn out, per se. Alarmist left-wing "the sky is falling" rhetoric is definitely a thing (though the same is true for the right), and while there are issues that clearly matter, it's also to a certain degree a manipulation game. I don't really fit neatly in any one camp, since I've got an unusual sort of left wing traditionalism thing going on, so I can more easily take everything with a grain of salt instead of falling immediately for the outrage machine. I think we need to always keep in mind that things are probably not quite as bad as the media would make it out to be--sensationalism is the name of the game.

I do find genuine moral realism much, much saner, though. One issue I have with progressivism is that we have the conviction that certain things are good, but there's an underlying relativism beneath that, whereby things are only good because we feel like they're good. Thinking that something is well and truly objectively wrong is somewhat freeing, since you don't need to be permanently outraged by it for it to remain bad. You can also take a broader view of progress and social justice, since there's a certain inevitability to it. The powers and principalities will fight it every step of the way, but they cannot ultimately prevail. (I know Marxist incorporates this sort of idea as well, but it's really hanging over the abyss with it, since there's no real justification for the Marxist notion of historical inevitability.)

I get the sense we may well have talked before on CF, as I have had this account for several years, but I can't remember if I know you user name. (I changed my username to Shadow from "Red Economist" in the past).

Oh, yes! Haha, you are in fact the other ex-Marxist I was thinking about. I'm glad to see you back, since I thought your background was kind of unique and interesting. :)

I hope that continuing to engage with members on Christian forums will make me more open and take a softer and more understanding approach. We are all human after all and you can't really understand what that means unless you can engage with members from the religion with the largest number of adherents on the planet. It will take some time but I think the itch to proclaim the "death of god" will pass and my oddly adolescent hostility to religion may be replaced by something richer and deeper, even if it is an understanding how man's inner being rather than man and god. I can benefit from the wisdom of others as an atheist and I would grow as a person from doing so. :)

I will caution you that religion in general is a very peculiar thing. So much of it is experiential in nature that an armchair study of it is of somewhat limited value. I remember saying something ridiculously stupid to a Christian friend once in school because I thought I understood it a lot better than I actually did. Theism is particularly disturbing from a purely intellectual level--it's like you're studying a painting, and then the painting starts studying you instead. ^_^

In any case, good luck, and I hope you have a productive time here on the forum. :)

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
1) How do you conduct yourself in adversity or the end times in a way that reflects the gravity of the situation and yet is consistent with your moral values and religious beliefs?

I will answer the adversity part, I have no idea when the end times are here. Generation upon generation, the notion of "this is the end times" have been brought up, and often with a very good reason. So I leave the end times to God, since my feeble understanding cannot get it right. If it's now, later, much later, He knows even if I don't. I'm confident I don't understand nearly all of the scripture, especially when it comes to prophesies, but if I absolutely need to understand something, God will take care of that as well.

But adversity, I'm assuming you're talking about the specific kind of adversity where we see everything going down the drain, insanity and hatred all over the place, and all of that bringing us down. How do I conduct myself? One day at a time. Am I good at it? No. But there's a special inside force bringing us down when see all hell break loose around us: the need to do something, perhaps everything, but at the same time feeling absolutely powerless, which can be followed by a raging need to be powerful. It just so happens to be that I've found myself to be powerless with much smaller things, sometimes even trivial things, also often going back into the flesh/spirit battle many Christians are very familiar with. In a sense, we need to accept our lack of power. I didn't want to, because I am stubborn. But I had to, I was brought there. I am quite powerless, and suffering is to be expected in one way or another.

One day at a time, with the realization that God's power and wisdom are so much higher than my own, that I can just settle for being what I am, a little human being with limits, with faults, with sin. What I am to do, is to draw comfort from His care, no matter what the circumstances are. Despair can rage and pummel us to no end, but we don't have to listen them. Let them rage.

And whatever meaningful encounters there are, I need to remember the love of Christ for me, demanding me to love my neighbor too. If I get into the mental state of "them vs me", I need to snap out of it. If I don't, I will elevate myself over others, and lower the others still until they are no longer human to me. It's hard to carry that kind of warped burden, it blinds us, and taints whatever good we aim to do. But what little I can do, I want to do. Not because I am good, I know I'm not, but because I believe God is. Often the smallest encounters, smallest thing, can lead to something great. I don't have to think I should see it all unfold, even. We never know how far the ripples go.

2) How do you come to terms with the loneliness of realising that you are surrounded by people who are either moral vacuums, having no clear conscience of their own or no willingness to act or to recognise the situation, or are so genuinely corrupt that they embrace destruction and cannot therefore rely on them to co-operate when things turn bad?

I accept it. Not at first though. First, I often get angry, in my heart violently angry, and then I start to judge them. But I am always reminded of myself. Not many people know about my own sin, my own rot, my own hard-heartedness. If I am something in secret, I'm not much better than someone doing the same in public. I'm reminded of Paul, who persecuted Christians. He was a pharisee with a great fire and strongest motivation. Later on he said, that God has demonstrated His grace also through him, because he counted himself as the chief of sinners.

"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life."

There have been many people who we all would count as the worst ones, and some of them have come to Christ and changed their lives. Most of them would say that they didn't do it, they had no heart for it, but somehow God took them, He gets the glory. We Christians await for the final, experiental redemption where all is revealed and everything finally seen and done, but glimpses of redemption here on earth can be seen in people who turn from their evil in such a manner that it will inspire many.

So even if my initial gut reaction is always anger, full of judgement, I shouldn't stay there or even depend on my will or my sense of justice, since my sense of justice is equally imperfect as I am. Or do I always know when I have a log in my own eye? I don't always know it. If there is to be any revenge, it should not be on my part. I will give it to God, and I ask His justice, His grace, His guidance and His will to come and reign. He sees further than we do, and He can do much with things and people we are ready to throw away and count as trash. He can and will also do much with us.

If you aren't talking about the "world" in general, but close friends and even family, then of course it's even more hard. I don't have that situation with my family or friends, thank God. They are good to me. Are you perhaps talking about a literal situation where you are talking about people who are the closest to you? And you are upset that they don't share your views on these matters? Just asking, I'm not sure if I understood it right. But if that is the case, I would guess with my simple, easily mistaken mind, that applying pressure for those people in order to make them "good" will be as successful as an aggressive preacher trying to scare you with hell right now. We deal with difficult things in so many ways. What shows on the outside might be entirely different to what is inside. There may be a spark in someone we have already judged in our hearts to not have one. Sometimes we might give in for the longest time, only to see some light further down the road after some time.

I decided quite some time ago, that people don't have to share my views. How we live in the midst of insanity, evil and all kinds of crap, absolutely varies. But if it depends on me, I shouldn't abandon anyone, at least if they're not aggressively hostile to me. About relying on someone to co-operate, I guess I don't. People will fail us, and we will fail them. It won't be long when I don't have any of the closest family members alive, and I am unmarried, without children. A certain kind of loneliness will come, even if some people "further" might remain. But I shouldn't go insane because of that. And while I still have people close to me, I can turn the tables and see what could I do for them, instead of waiting for them to meet my needs, whatever they could be. May God grant me the heart of not wanting anything in return, so I wouldn't hold these people as hostages of my supposed kindness, so that the kindness could be pure, and entirely from Him.

I'm a bit slow today, so perhaps I understood many things wrong about what you're asking. Forgive me, am dumb.

3) How do you ring the alarm bells to stay safe in your own personal life, protect friends and family whilst also keeping yourself calm and composed in the face of such overwhelming odds?

I know I'm going to die. I've carried so many people into their graves. While I don't WANT to die in the sense of "get me out of here right now", I miss many people who went before me, and a part of me wants to leave some things behind already. But there are still people who might need me, and a lot of beauty left.

Suffering, insanity, evil, all of that, it's here. It's right here and it's always been here. Some of us are relatively safe from the worst things, as I am, but I am not immune. Whatever comes, comes. So I pray, and I carry all of my worries and burdens to God. I pray for Christ to take all the victims of evil, every unfortunate soul, into eternal comfort, and for Him to guide and strengthen the ones who are still here grieving, missing, hoping and despairing in turn. I pray Him to take all of us and give us whatever strength and hope we need in order to function here and for His will to be done in us, and through us to others. Whatever comes, comes. We will all leave this place. But when we are the weakest, His strength is perfect. Sometimes I fail, I stray away from this, and I try to face everything myself. I can't, so I'm calmly pulled near the cross again, the best place for me. No matter what comes. If I fail, if I go insane, I still know He won't. I can't rely on my victories anymore, I will rely on His.

This being said I am not considering converting to Christianity or any major religion and I will concede that is something of a surprise even to myself given the reassurance it may offer. Perhaps it's vanity or maybe it's compassion for the wretchedness of man- perhaps they are the same thing.
Thank you and God Bless

You know, not so long ago, I would've sneaked in a little attempt at conversion here. But I know my limits more and more, every day. And after all, I wasn't "converted" with words either. God can raise people who do that for Him, but I'm not one of them. But I believe He pulls us, in various ways. I believe my faith is a gift, a mustard seed, watered and grown across the years. I didn't do it.

Also, if you have compassion for any wretched man, no matter how wretched they might seem, that isn't far off from the love of Christ, which doesn't look at a person (status, appearance).

Thank you, God bless you too, all your loved ones and people around you.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Shadow

Site Supporter
May 29, 2015
✟94,972.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Are you perhaps talking about a literal situation where you are talking about people who are the closest to you? And you are upset that they don't share your views on these matters? Just asking, I'm not sure if I understood it right.

I live in a very rural and isolated area, so I have one friend who I met up with today, my parents and maybe two other people I am close to. My parents can be difficult sometimes, but they weren't the people I had in mind. It was directed more at the general "anarchy" and "hysteria" we see online and in the newspapers. It can be quite dispiriting sometimes to try to engage with people.

I'm a bit slow today, so perhaps I understood many things wrong about what you're asking. Forgive me, am dumb.

No worries. Your response struck me as thoughtful. We all tend to rush things under the tyranny of the clock and aren't always in touch with our natural rhythms. Sometimes being slow means you get to stop and enjoy the view more. Getting from A to B as fast as possible gets us to our destination, but sometimes the slow route is the one that makes us wise and gives us the chance to fully experience and learn from the journey. :)

You know, not so long ago, I would've sneaked in a little attempt at conversion here. But I know my limits more and more, every day. And after all, I wasn't "converted" with words either.

Conversion is a gift and it remains the choice of a person of whether and how it is to be received. It's hard to learn how to receive and even harder to give without reservation. If your thoughts are from a place of concern and kindness, I appreciate it nonetheless where ever our paths ultimately take us. :heart:

• Friendly
Reactions: Tempura
Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
It's hard to learn how to receive

Yes it is. And I am so glad I was brought to a place where I could do nothing but receive. And yes, I had nothing but concern and kindness for you, even if I might often fail to convey that. Hope to see you again. I won't take any more room from other answers, I think you'll get many more here.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Also, why can't all the ones who are making society the way it is today just perish from existence, and the rest are spared alone to continue? Why should it be until a very critical point and with cleanse by fire? Removing all of history from the past up to this point.

Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wish the social and human condition would go back to like it was any time in the last century soon. I was also born in the early 1990s and would have liked to live anywhere from the 20s all the way to 90s as an adult my age today. The modern condition is a hell for those who are young adults and want to get started at this time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Also, America is looking pretty horrible right now. Where is God in all of this? Why can't it just be that he zaps away all the bad and corrupt people in it and leave the good "God-fearing" portion of it continue here?

Does God have a certain "threshold" or criteria for amount of believers being saved or not?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone,

I would welcome your advice on something that I have been dealing with for a while.

As you know, the news is full of pretty staggering headlines and they seem to be getting stranger and more disturbing every day. It is getting harder to pretend we can keep "danger" at bay and to hold firm to the conviction that we will live to see a brighter future. The change in our moral and political climate is putting psychological strains on us all and each of us are having to find ways to adapt as our assumptions about human decency are tested.

That being said, it seems more than likely that we are heading towards a major global catastrophe, though it is still unclear what exactly that is. What, When, Why, I don't know, but the trajectory is unmistakable and we do not appear to be making the change course to a more humane and uplifting destination.

As an atheist I do not attribute this process to god but to man. For a long time I believed we could avert disaster but I have been deeply shocked that we have got this far and have now virtually lost faith we will pull ourselves out of the death spiral we are now going in to over the next few decades. We are not behaving rationally in either averting a state of emergency or of responding to one. I believe climate change will be the decisive factor, but I appreciate we may all have our own visions and demons in mind.

This tendency to social decay of course reflects in the degradation of people's moral values and conduct. Society seems to have unwittingly engaged in a collective suicide pact in which it will continue to advance to a major social collapse, neither fighting to defend itself and nor seek positive alternatives (with some exceptions). Instead, we see the breakdown of moral and legal standards as people in power violate the social contract that keeps society together to advance their own interests. Lying has become normal even when we are dealing with serious threats to life and people don't care about the truth, whether it be scientific, moral or anything else. In surrendering the truth we have surrendered the only standard by which to judge ourselves, our conduct and the source of power which could yet rally us forward. We conform and accept any manner of immoral conduct, we tolerate insane and deranged behaviour and engage in a radical disconnect between the apparent "normality" and routine of daily existence, the astonishing headlines we read from around the world and where we may anticipate they are taking us. It's hard to decide whether to be scared, despair, confused or just burst out laughing at what this says about the absurdity and futility of the human condition.

I am not what you would generally regard as a "bad" person, although I am certainly question authority and the conventional wisdom more than is perhaps really for my own good. But, in my heart, I still want to be a good person and exercise my conscience even as civilisation itself is unravelling. I don't welcome "the end" or the degradation and the loss of the achievement of mankind. I find it a tragedy which I struggle to describe and an insult to the work accumulated by past generations. In spite of our arbitrary cruelty to one another, I still care deeply about what happens to other people beyond myself and my own well-being. It is painful to watch others in distress and know there is little you can do to really help them.

So It is one thing to talk about and even believe the apocalypse is coming, but quite another to believe it has arrived and is on-going and come to terms with all the emotional effects of watching civilisation unravel. In the spirit of learning from others, I hope therefore you might provide me with some advice or guidance that could ease the journey man takes towards creating hell on earth somewhat:

This being said I am not considering converting to Christianity or any major religion and I will concede that is something of a surprise even to myself given the reassurance it may offer. Perhaps it's vanity or maybe it's compassion for the wretchedness of man- perhaps they are the same thing. I would nevertheless welcome your thoughts, reflections and wisdom that helps me deal with the moral and psychological aspects of having a conscience in a time of crisis.

Thank you and God Bless :)
Hey everyone,

I would welcome your advice on something that I have been dealing with for a while.

As you know, the news is full of pretty staggering headlines and they seem to be getting stranger and more disturbing every day. It is getting harder to pretend we can keep "danger" at bay and to hold firm to the conviction that we will live to see a brighter future. The change in our moral and political climate is putting psychological strains on us all and each of us are having to find ways to adapt as our assumptions about human decency are tested.

That being said, it seems more than likely that we are heading towards a major global catastrophe, though it is still unclear what exactly that is. What, When, Why, I don't know, but the trajectory is unmistakable and we do not appear to be making the change course to a more humane and uplifting destination.

As an atheist I do not attribute this process to god but to man. For a long time I believed we could avert disaster but I have been deeply shocked that we have got this far and have now virtually lost faith we will pull ourselves out of the death spiral we are now going in to over the next few decades. We are not behaving rationally in either averting a state of emergency or of responding to one. I believe climate change will be the decisive factor, but I appreciate we may all have our own visions and demons in mind.

This tendency to social decay of course reflects in the degradation of people's moral values and conduct. Society seems to have unwittingly engaged in a collective suicide pact in which it will continue to advance to a major social collapse, neither fighting to defend itself and nor seek positive alternatives (with some exceptions). Instead, we see the breakdown of moral and legal standards as people in power violate the social contract that keeps society together to advance their own interests. Lying has become normal even when we are dealing with serious threats to life and people don't care about the truth, whether it be scientific, moral or anything else. In surrendering the truth we have surrendered the only standard by which to judge ourselves, our conduct and the source of power which could yet rally us forward. We conform and accept any manner of immoral conduct, we tolerate insane and deranged behaviour and engage in a radical disconnect between the apparent "normality" and routine of daily existence, the astonishing headlines we read from around the world and where we may anticipate they are taking us. It's hard to decide whether to be scared, despair, confused or just burst out laughing at what this says about the absurdity and futility of the human condition.

I am not what you would generally regard as a "bad" person, although I am certainly question authority and the conventional wisdom more than is perhaps really for my own good. But, in my heart, I still want to be a good person and exercise my conscience even as civilisation itself is unravelling. I don't welcome "the end" or the degradation and the loss of the achievement of mankind. I find it a tragedy which I struggle to describe and an insult to the work accumulated by past generations. In spite of our arbitrary cruelty to one another, I still care deeply about what happens to other people beyond myself and my own well-being. It is painful to watch others in distress and know there is little you can do to really help them.

So It is one thing to talk about and even believe the apocalypse is coming, but quite another to believe it has arrived and is on-going and come to terms with all the emotional effects of watching civilisation unravel. In the spirit of learning from others, I hope therefore you might provide me with some advice or guidance that could ease the journey man takes towards creating hell on earth somewhat:

This being said I am not considering converting to Christianity or any major religion and I will concede that is something of a surprise even to myself given the reassurance it may offer. Perhaps it's vanity or maybe it's compassion for the wretchedness of man- perhaps they are the same thing. I would nevertheless welcome your thoughts, reflections and wisdom that helps me deal with the moral and psychological aspects of having a conscience in a time of crisis.

Thank you and God Bless :)

You will have to fight and place yourself under mans and satan's rule. You will have to go by their laws and rules. If you end up being in the tribulation you will have to take the mark of the beats to buy and sell. That is if you live that long you will be surrounded by massive death rates that will actually be real (unlike the fake numbers now). You will see many horrid and horrifying sites.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Also, America is looking pretty horrible right now. Where is God in all of this? Why can't it just be that he zaps away all the bad and corrupt people in it and leave the good "God-fearing" portion of it continue here?

If all the bad and corrupt people were zapped, no one would be left alive. Including you and me. We are all sinners. Christians have a new nature, the born again spirit that is of God. That is the only difference between us and those who have yet to accept Christ. There will come a time where the invitation to repent is withdrawn. Lord Jesus died for all those bad and corrupt people, including you and me. Some of the most wicked people make the best Christians because they know how much they've been forgiven. Look up John Newton. He wrote "Amazing Grace" as well as other wonderful hymns. He was a slave trader. Lord Jesus saved at least two tax collectors. You'd call them stand over merchants today. The Jews despised them. Jesus loved them.

Upvote 0