Not open for further replies.

Luke1433

Oct 6, 2012
✟16,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"In a long fast there is a temptation to begin eating. But the main thing amongst others that came up in my mind after 3 weeks ..."

It strikes me that there is probably very little that we can do that doesn't have a little bit of self involved (even when we are supposedly doing or saying something "humbly"), but the thing about the teachings of Jesus is that they cover the really important issues, whereas our ego will generate all kinds of convoluted arguments to avoid his teachings at the same time that we end up promoting our own righteousness.

As an example, can you think of any instructions that Jesus gave his followers about what behaviours should accompany any fasting that we do? I am surprised at how many professing Christians totally ignore what Jesus taught about fasting, though I probably should not be, because the average "Christian" these days doesn't give a fig about anything that Jesus said. They have too many of their own imaginary rules to follow.

Upvote 0

AllanV

Feb 4, 2013
NZ
✟16,413.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Allan,

I think what luke is getting at is your tendency to use phrases which sound nice, but which don't really seem to connect to any practical application of Jesus' teachings.

For example, you say something like, "Therefore we are to seek the kingdom and Gods' righteousness. This a tall order and there must be some work to be done within everyone. Who has God's righteousness."

It's a vague statement which could mean anything to anyone, even though, on the surface, it sounds nice.

In the same sermon where Jesus said to "seek first the kingdom of God, and all these things will be added to you", he also said, "you cannot serve God and mammon at the same time without cheating on one or the other".

He told us to consider the birds of the air and the flowers of the field specifically because they do not spend their time working to get more money, and yet God still takes care of them.

How do we apply these teachings in every day practical life? How do we SHOW our "living by faith"?

When his disciples heard these kinds of commands with the call to "follow me" the record shows that they quit their old jobs working for money, to take up NEW jobs "fishing for men" (i.e. preaching).

They started living by faith in an invisible God who was able to provide for them without them needing to be dependent on the systems of men.

Can you comment on that?

The problem is what is the Kingdom of God. Is it individuals wanting to make a contribution and deciding to go out on their own volition still self empowered, to do works?

Or is it being transformed by the renewing of the mind and then bringing every thought into the obedience and captivity of Christ.
God's love then being apparent within the gentle nature of Jesus and having no bonding in the mind with the human family.

From experience faith is required to enter the Kingdom of God and then the completion is there to do good works, heal the sick, heal the deformed, cast out demons.

One must strive to enter. And it brings separation from the bonding with unbelievers powerfully. A barrier is established in the renewed mind and this must be maintained to be in God's Love. This is not insignificant.

People are easy to discern by what is heard in their voices because it comes off their heart and from the mind of a rebellious nature. When a person is in God's Love the voice is perfect there is no guile. There is nothing hard in it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.