Live Updates: Protests erupt in Louisville after Breonna Taylor grand jury decision

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,673,358.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Taylor, a 26-year-old Black emergency medical worker, was shot 5 times by police

After a Kentucky grand jury opted to indict only one of the three Louisville police officers in the raid that led to Breonna Taylor's death earlier this year, the city braced for protests.

Former Sgt. Brett Hankison was charged with three counts of wanton endangerment for firing rounds during the raid that went into neighboring apartments, but not in the death of Taylor.

The attorney for Taylor's family, Ben Crump, tweeted that the decision was "outrageous and offensive."

Taylor, a 26-year-old Black emergency medical worker, was shot five times by officers who entered her home using a no-knock warrant during a drug investigation March 13. The warrant was connected with someone who did not live there, and no drugs were found during the search. The use of no-knock warrants is now banned in the city.

Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer declared a state of emergency and announced a 72-hour curfew starting at 9 p.m.

The Louisville Metro Police Department announced it was putting barricades around the downtown perimeter where protests have been concentrated.

The Kentucky National Guard was also deployed in the city.

Live Updates: Protests erupt in Louisville after Breonna Taylor grand jury decision

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, they basically shot her to death, and ultimately, they found nothing. Why is this not at least a homicide?
I try to not go in for this anti-police stuff. But the story, as presented by the ever-reliable and always truthful corporate media, paints a pretty convincing picture of negligent homicide or something.

Still, a grand jury usually only evaluates the evidence against a defendant. That's why a defendant is usually not permitted to defend himself. Because his innocence is presumed. Thus the point of the whole exercise is to determine whether or not the evidence against him is solid enough to stand up in court. Apparently, it wasn't.

That's kind of unbelievable but here we are anyway.

Either way, there's no good reason to shoot at officers. Whoever did that needs to be arrested, obviously.

EDIT- Looks like my skepticism about the corporate media was well justified. On a lark, I checked some facts about this thing. Assuming those facts are actually true, yeah, I'd say the grand jury basically did the right thing under the circumstances.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I try to not go in for this anti-police stuff. But the story, as presented by the ever-reliable and always truthful corporate media, paints a pretty convincing picture of negligent homicide or something.

Still, a grand jury usually only evaluates the evidence against a defendant. That's why a defendant is usually not permitted to defend himself. Because his innocence is presumed. Thus the point of the whole exercise is to determine whether or not the evidence against him is solid enough to stand up in court. Apparently, it wasn't.

That's kind of unbelievable but here we are anyway.

Either way, there's no good reason to shoot at officers. Whoever did that needs to be arrested, obviously.

EDIT- Looks like my skepticism about the corporate media was well justified. On a lark, I checked some facts about this thing. Assuming those facts are actually true, yeah, I'd say the grand jury basically did the right thing under the circumstances.

Thank you for the updates, Blend. I deleted my post, not wanting to get dragged into this, as I realized I didn't have enough info to understand what has happened. I am not sure how this is not at least homicide of some kind, but I don't have the facts, either. I agree that at first glance, at least, this seems unjust and difficult to understand.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the updates, Blend. I deleted my post, not wanting to get dragged into this. I am not sure how this is not at least homicide of some kind, but I don't have the facts, either. I agree that at first glance, at least, this seems unjust and difficult to understand.
All I did was review the wiki page, which includes sources for its info.

Wikipedia said:
Shooting
Shortly after midnight on March 13, 2020, Louisville police entered the apartment of Breonna Taylor and Kenneth Walker using a battering ram to force open the door. The police were investigating two men they believed were selling drugs. The Taylor/Walker home was included in a "no-knock" search warrant, signed by Jefferson County Circuit Judge Mary M. Shaw, reportedly based on representations by police that one of the men used the apartment to receive packages.[21][11] The New York Times later reported that before the raid, the order had been changed to a "knock and announce" warrant, meaning that the police were required to identify themselves.[22] The suspected drug dealer had allegedly been seen walking into Taylor's apartment one January afternoon with a USPS package before leaving and driving to a known drug house, and the warrant said a US Postal Inspector confirmed that the man had been receiving packages at the apartment.[10] Postal Inspector Tony Gooden has said that his office had told police there were no "packages of interest" being received there.[23]

Louisville police stated that they announced themselves while entering the home after knocking several times and saying they were Louisville police officers with a search warrant. Neighbors and Taylor's family dispute this, saying there was no announcement and that Walker and Taylor believed someone was breaking in, causing Walker to act in self-defense.[10] Walker said in his police interrogation that Taylor yelled multiple times, "Who is it?" after hearing a loud bang at the door, but received no answer, and that he then armed himself. Walker, a licensed firearm carrier, shot first, striking a police officer in the leg. In response, the officers opened fire with more than 20 rounds, hitting objects in the living room, dining room, kitchen, hallway, bathroom, and both bedrooms. Taylor was struck by five bullets[24][25] and pronounced dead at the scene.[26] No drugs were found in the apartment.[3] According to anonymous sources who spoke to WAVE3 News, one of the three officers allegedly fired blindly from the exterior of the residence, through a window with closed blinds and curtains; the sources said they do not believe Taylor was struck by any of the bullets fired by the officer who was outside.[27]
Assuming that's all true, I imagine that it would be a simple matter to match the bullets in the deceased's body to the gun which fired them. I would also imagine that match-up was done in this case. And I would further imagine that the findings were shown to the grand jury. If the bullets which killed her were truly not fired by officers then this seems rather open and shut.

Frankly, I have no idea how else the charges could get tossed like this unless the ballistics just plain tell a different story than the corporate media are all peddling.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Assuming that's all true, I imagine that it would be a simple matter to match the bullets in the deceased's body to the gun which fired them. I would imagine that was done. And I would further imagine that the findings were shown to the grand jury. If the bullets legitimately which killed her were truly not fired by officers then this seems rather open and shut.

Frankly, I have no idea how else the charges could get tossed like this unless the ballistics just plain tell a different story than the corporate media are all peddling.
Thank you, Colors. Yeah, I'm not sure how this got tossed, either.

Upvote 0

RushMAN

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2020
West Coast
✟101,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Assuming that's all true, I imagine that it would be a simple matter to match the bullets in the deceased's body to the gun which fired them. I would also imagine that match-up was done in this case. And I would further imagine that the findings were shown to the grand jury. If the bullets which killed her were truly not fired by officers then this seems rather open and shut.

Attachments

• Perry.jpeg
    Perry.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0