In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
whales were thought of as fish by some up into the 19 th century. There were actually theological arguments over this . Part of it was the bible and part was from an older meaning of fish as sea creatures. Which is why us old folks call sea stars starfish and jellies jellyfish
That hasn't really changed, just the meaning of fish narrowed. Scientifically, there is no such thing as a Fish, as they often say.

Anyway, Starfish and Jellyfish are very much still the names as far as I am concerned. In my native tongue of Afrikaans, a whale is still termed a 'walvis' or whale-fish, and the element whale etymologically means fish anyway, so this is merely a doubling for emphasis.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Scientifically ,all land vertebrates including humans are classified as lobefinned fish . Sarcopterygians
Yes, so no scientific category corresponding to the popular category 'fish', nor is it really named as such.

Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Animal cells are made up of two different organisms. Mitochondria are eubacterial (purple bacteria )symbionts that live wrapped up in the outer cell membranes . Purple bacteria is the common name,they are alpha proteobacteria and they’re closely related to the bacteria that cause rickettsia
chloroplasts in plants were once Cyanobacteria . Plants are 3 organisms ( they have mitochondria) that function as a single one. There are unicellular eucaryotes that are an amalgam of 5 different organisms

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I prefer salty snacks to sweet snacks most of the time.

Some people's use of the word 'fact' differs from mine.

Well, if we're going that route...sometimes I crave...V8 juices...

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Animal cells are made up of two different organisms. Mitochondria are eubacterial (purple bacteria )symbionts that live wrapped up in the outer cell membranes . Purple bacteria is the common name,they are alpha proteobacteria and they’re closely related to the bacteria that cause rickettsia
chloroplasts in plants were once Cyanobacteria . Plants are 3 organisms ( they have mitochondria) that function as a single one. There are unicellular eucaryotes that are an amalgam of 5 different organisms
I don't agree that you can classify mitochondria as separate organisms anymore. Maybe once upon a time, but though they have their own DNA and such, the cell and its mitochondria are only one organism today. Any symbiosis has gone too far, so would be equivalent of calling a multicellular life a colony of millions of separate organisms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are 2 categories of bats (the flying mammals, not the stick used in baseball); the smaller meat eaters (microbats) and the larger fruit eaters. (megabats)

The larger ones have a brain and eye structure that should put them into the category of primates rather than bats.
BATS Magazine Article: Are Flying Foxes Really Primates?

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Several areas of the U.S. were virtually German states prior to the Civil War: Milwaukee, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and the Hill Country of Central Texas. However, Confederate forces fought a battle with German Lutherans (or massacred them, depending on your view) at the Battle of the Nueces River on 10 Aug 1862. The result was a sharp decline in German influence in Texas, though Central Texas still has a large Lutheran contingent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The Illinois motto "Land of Lincoln" has been effective in altering people's memories to think of Illinois as a progressive, abolitionist state, but that wasn't really the case. Prior to the Civil War there were several incidents that made national news, including the murder of a minister, the imprisonment of 3 college students for working the underground railroad, and several raids on Illinois Colleges by pro-slavery forces.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The male-specific bacteriophage is a virus that essentially acts as a sexually-transmitted disease for bacteria. They spread it to each other on the ends of their pili (the "male" part) while exchanging DNA.

Being asexual doesn't exempt them from that sort of plight, apparently.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Several areas of the U.S. were virtually German states prior to the Civil War: Milwaukee, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and the Hill Country of Central Texas. However, Confederate forces fought a battle with German Lutherans (or massacred them, depending on your view) at the Battle of the Nueces River on 10 Aug 1862. The result was a sharp decline in German influence in Texas, though Central Texas still has a large Lutheran contingent.
I read an article about Texas German the other day, a sharply declining specific dialect of German that arose in central Texas, and was the day to day tongue in the area into the mid 20th century.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The words Objective and Subjective swopped their meanings. Originally Subjective meant what was extrinsically Real (related to the Subject under discussion) and Objective was relational (a value related to a specific Object), but with the rise of Empiricism and Scientific Method, this changed. Something determined by investigating external objects came to be considered 'objective' in the modern sense, and the reasoning that entailed the more secure knowledge historically, came to be seen as modern 'subjective', as reasoned from first principles instead of from observed data.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The actual date of the added day in a Leap year is February 24th, which is the Bisextile day added in the Gregorian calender.

How can this be if we have a February 24 every year?

Similarly, a long time ago Scandavian calendars had 31 days in February.

Upvote 0