Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
A dogs nose print is as individually unique as a fingerprint. I suppose that would be true of all animals with similar noses. Please add your little known facts:)

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Modern whales don’t have hind legs but you can see the phalanges ( finger bones) in the flippers . whale ancestors like pakicetus had hooves on the ends of their toes
2E231F52-D9DA-4290-9CD1-210A1B32E56F.jpeg

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A dogs nose print is as individually unique as a fingerprint. I suppose that would be true of all animals with similar noses. Please add your little known facts:)
I torture my siblings with this one: There will come a day when you will put your child down on the floor and never pick them up again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Whales are closely related to deer . They’re both Artiodactyls .
Bats are also family of the Artiodactyls. They are closer relations of them than they are of rodents or flying squirrels.

The tiny Dassie or Rock Hyrax is closely related to Elephants. The animal world can be strange.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Its interesting that you would ask that since they don't have legs or feet:)

I looked up Artiodactyls: even-toed ungulates. But, I still couldn't figure out where the hooves or toes were located. It didn't occur to me whales were categorized that way due to a whale ancestor. But, then again, a lot doesn't occur to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
you’d have to ask a rabbi ! Pigs are also Artiodactyls and they aren’t kosher
officially whales are out. with pigs it's not the hoof it's the second criteria that they fail because they don't chew their cud. Camels chew but apparently they don't have hoofs. We'd have to guess at the whales hoof but apparently as Artiodactyls they are even-toed ungulate. so the question may lie with do they chew their cud?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't think scientific taxonomy applies to Biblical 'taxonomy'. In the Bible, bats are listed along with birds, for instance. I think whales are likely thought of as amongst the group we would call fish. It is a bit strange to try and retroactively apply our taxonomy to the Biblical context and expect a meaningful answer.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hungary tried to restore the Habsburg monarchy after WWI, but were prevented from doing so by the Allied Powers. As a consequence, they ended up bring a Kingless Kingdom for 30 years, with a regent fulfilling the role.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Humans actually are great apes. The official classification was changed during the 1990s after the chimp genome was sequenced. Pongidae , the old name for the non human great apes is retired . Great apes are in Homindae

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think scientific taxonomy applies to Biblical 'taxonomy'. In the Bible, bats are listed along with birds, for instance. I think whales are likely thought of as amongst the group we would call fish. It is a bit strange to try and retroactively apply our taxonomy to the Biblical context and expect a meaningful answer.
whales were thought of as fish by some up into the 19 th century. There were actually theological arguments over this . Part of it was the bible and part was from an older meaning of fish as sea creatures. Which is why us old folks call sea stars starfish and jellies jellyfish

Upvote 0