United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Also Psalm 22.

Yes samson killed a lion when the spirit of the Lord came upon him. But he wasnt supposed to eat from it.

psalm 22 is an amazing one, very clear picture of Jesus. interesting that he is said to "roar" in the first verse.

Ps 22:1 (YLT)
To the Overseer, on `The Hind of the Morning.' --A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me? Far from my salvation, The words of my roaring?

it is good to know the law! the samson thing was a symbol given by the Holy Spirit to explain how the tree of knowledge of good and evil views God. many of the disciples of Jesus were also offended at Jesus because of his hard sayings which they thought would make them sin against against God:

John 6:60-66 (YLT)
many, therefore, of his disciples having heard, said, `This word is hard; who is able to hear it?' And Jesus having known in himself that his disciples are murmuring about this, said to them, `Doth this stumble you? if then ye may behold the Son of Man going up where he was before? the spirit it is that is giving life; the flesh doth not profit anything; the sayings that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life; but there are certain of you who do not believe;' for Jesus had known from the beginning who they are who are not believing, and who is he who will deliver him up, and he said, `Because of this I have said to you--No one is able to come unto me, if it may not have been given him from my Father.' From this time many of his disciples went away backward, and were no more walking with him,

even ezekiel seems concerned, but the Lord works with those who have faith in him:

Ezek 4:12-15 (YLT)
A barley-cake thou dost eat it, and it with dung--the filth of man--thou dost bake before their eyes. And Jehovah saith, `Thus do the sons of Israel eat their defiled bread among the nations whither I drive them.' And I say, `Ah, Lord Jehovah, lo, my soul is not defiled, and carcase, and torn thing, I have not eaten from my youth, even till now; nor come into my mouth hath abominable flesh.' And He saith unto me, `See, I have given to thee bullock's dung instead of man's dung, and thou hast made thy bread by it.'

and I am VERY thankful for this:

Matt 12:1-8 (YLT)
At that time did Jesus go on the sabbaths through the corn, and his disciples were hungry, and they began to pluck ears, and to eat, and the Pharisees having seen, said to him, `Lo, thy disciples do that which it is not lawful to do on a sabbath.' And he said to them, `Did ye not read what David did, when he was hungry, himself and those with him-- how he went into the house of God, and the loaves of the presentation did eat, which it is not lawful to him to eat, nor to those with him, except to the priests alone? `Or did ye not read in the Law, that on the sabbaths the priests in the temple do profane the sabbath, and are blameless? and I say to you, that a greater than the temple is here; and if ye had known what is: Kindness I will, and not sacrifice--ye had not condemned the blameless, for the son of man is lord even of the sabbath.'

then the classic example of peter:

Acts 11:5-10 (YLT)
`I was in the city of Joppa praying, and I saw in a trance a vision, a certain vessel coming down, as a great sheet by four corners being let down out of the heaven, and it came unto me; at which having looked stedfastly, I was considering, and I saw the four-footed beasts of the earth, and the wild beasts, and the creeping things, and the fowls of heaven; and I heard a voice saying to me, Having risen, Peter, slay and eat; and I said, Not so, Lord; because anything common or unclean hath at no time entered into my mouth; and a voice did answer me a second time out of the heaven, What God did cleanse, thou--declare not thou common. `And this happened thrice, and again was all drawn up to the heaven,

for the tree of life is greater than the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I hear in many christian circles think that Jesus is the lion of the tribe of judah, but, Revelation specifically says ONLY the lamb is worthy to open the scroll.
Context is everything. While the Lamb of God opens the scrolls, the Lion of the tribe of Judah destroys the enemies of God and of Israel. Christ cannot be limited, and both titles are applicable in context.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,708.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok here is one theological question that it seems a lot of christians are confused about when the answer is plain in scripture.

I hear in many christian circles think that Jesus is the lion of the tribe of judah, but, Revelation specifically says ONLY the lamb is worthy to open the scroll.

All through the bible, Jesus is referred to as the lamb.

The devil is referred to as a lion, prowling about, seeking anyone to devour.
Why do some christians refer to Jesus as a lion? Is it they get mixed up with C.S. Lewis Narnia fantasy story?

No.
But your starting point is that you dislike C.S Lewis and are looking for a way to discredit him, so I can see why you would say that.

Jesus is the Lamb of God and the Lion of Judah. The devil is described as being LIKE a lion - prowling around, looking for someone to eat.
All are metaphors, or similes. Jesus was a man, not an animal, and also God; 100% human and 100% divine.
LIKE a lion, he is king, strong, majestic, powerful, awesome.
LIKE a lamb, he is meek, gentle and was sacrificed for others.

In his books, C.S Lewis never says, "Aslan is Jesus and here are the Scriptures for him being a lion." The Narnia books are children's books and make believe - although they contain some interesting similarities and may lead in to a discussion on the Christian faith.
If you don't like them, don't read them, or any of Lewis' other works. You don't have to; it's no big deal. If you can't bring yourself to say, "I understand that some like him and have been helped by his books but he's not for me," then why say anything at all? It's not really helpful to write all these posts saying that the author was wrong, misguided, unscriptural or even unchristian, when anyone who knows about him knows that he was none of these things.

Reactions: yeshuasavedme
Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
to shoot myself in the foot and alienate myself from everyone I wanna say that goodbook is a taurus and they are infamous for being stubborn. but in my experience I have found that aquarius are even MORE stubborn. lets take all the accusations about c.s. lewis and lets stone noxot to death because after he left CF he went to strange lands and the peoples there taught him a little bit of magic.

p.s. i don't take astrology too seriously. but it can be kind of funny at times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok here is one theological question that it seems a lot of christians are confused about when the answer is plain in scripture.

Why do some christians refer to Jesus as a lion? Is it they get mixed up with C.S. Lewis Narnia fantasy story?
Jesus called Herod a Fox, and Satan a serpent. Ishmael is a wild ass. Esau is a boar, and in the Book of Enoch the prophet, the seventh from Adam [which is canon in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church], all tribes descended from Adam are identified as animals or fowl in totemic imagery in the dream visions of the history of the Adam race from the beginning to the end.
Jesus calls His the righteous Gentiles remaining on earth at His return to judge the nations, "sheep", and the wicked Gentiles, "Goats".
As to His return to earth, though; A lamb does not roar like a lion.

He came the first time as the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world, but He returns as the Lion of the Tribe of Judah to avenge the blood of His servants on earth.

A Cheribim has four faces; eagle, lion, an ox/bull and Adam...Jesus is YHWH in the Person of God the Word -also called the Son of Man on the throne in heaven- who is come in flesh of second man creation named "Israel" [Isaiah 49], Which flesh was created new, in the womb of the virgin, as the flesh brother to the Adam, the dead in spirit son of God of the human being kind, and come in that flesh as Kinsman to the brother Adam human being creation, to ransom the inheritance lost when Adam died as son of God of human being kind.

So, Jesus said He is the Son of Man on earth, and the Son of Man in heaven, all at the same time, in John 3:13, but come in flesh of second Man creation forever, which Isaiah said in chapter 59, is the Garment of Yeshua/Salvation that YHWH put on to come as Kinsman Redeemer in, to bring forth justice for the earth.

So, the first time He came to earth in His New Creation human being body as the Passover Lamb -and the Atonement acceptable to cover our sins, and remove them.the second time He is coming to earth as the Lion of the Tribe of Judah, to avenge and slay many, -and He comes with a "ROAR" out of heaven!

He is God in flesh. He is God in heaven, sitting on the Throne with the Father as the Word, who is come in flesh, and He is the Lamb of God who was slain from the foundation of the world, in that flesh, and He is the Avenging Lion of the Tribe of Judah, in that flesh. He is our Everlasting Father in that flesh, as the Firstborn Son of God of the human being creation, who offered Himself as our Redeemer Kinsman so as to cleanse us and to adopt us into His New Man name and One Living Spirit; because the first, firstborn son of God, the Adam creation, is dead in spirit and irrevocably defiled in the Adam flesh [the dead flesh].

And.. in Psalm 22, the Holy Spirit wrote through David, of Christ on the cross that, " the "strong bulls of Bashan beset Him round [the cross], and gaped upon Him with their [open ] mouths as a ravening and roaring lion". Now the strong bulls of Bashan were disembodied spirit of the giants/demons, all round about Jesus when He hung on the cross -thinking they "Got Him"! -but they lost!
Anyway, the Scriptures are filled with characters defined as animals and fowl.
CS Lewis showed a parable of what the Bible states....not hard to understand.

Jeremiah 25:

30 Therefore prophesy thou against them all these words, and say unto them, The Lord shall roar from on high, and utter his voice from his holy habitation; he shall mightily roar upon his habitation; he shall give a shout, as they that tread the grapes, against all the inhabitants of the earth.

31 A noise shall come even to the ends of the earth; for the Lord hath a controversy with the nations, he will plead with all flesh; he will give them that are wicked to the sword, saith the Lord.

32 Thus saith the Lord of hosts, Behold, evil shall go forth from nation to nation, and a great whirlwind shall be raised up from the coasts of the earth.

33 And the slain of the Lord shall be at that day from one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth: they shall not be lamented, neither gathered, nor buried; they shall be dung upon the ground.

34 Howl, ye shepherds, and cry; and wallow yourselves in the ashes, ye principal of the flock: for the days of your slaughter and of your dispersions are accomplished; and ye shall fall like a pleasant vessel.

35 And the shepherds shall have no way to flee, nor the principal of the flock to escape.

36 A voice of the cry of the shepherds, and an howling of the principal of the flock, shall be heard: for the Lord hath spoiled their pasture.

37 And the peaceable habitations are cut down because of the fierce anger of the Lord.

38 He hath forsaken his covert, as the lion: for their land is desolate because of the fierceness of the oppressor, and because of his fierce anger.

Jesus, returns to earth as the Avenger, to slay many. He roars from His Holy Habitation in heaven [which habitation/dwelling place/temple in heaven is set in the sun, as the Word tells us]

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Just because Jesus is called the "lamb of God" (referring to his atoning sacrifice) in the Revelation passage does not mean that this is the only appropriate metaphor or title for Jesus.

Jesus is also the King, the Priest, the Prophet, the lion, the temple, the Tree of Life, the promised seed, the vine, the root of Jesse, the Son of David, the Son of Abraham, any many other things. Be careful not to emphasize this one image found in this one place at the expense of the many other images given in other places.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, Jesus is royal. And a lion is considered the king of beasts. So, I can see how calling Jesus the Lion can bring out how Jesus is our King, and with power to protect us.

Usually, to my knowledge, you would not use the image of a lamb to say someone is royal and able to deliver us from our sins and turn us "from the power of Satan to God" (Acts 26:18). However, Jesus being the Lamb of God does bring out how Jesus is our Passover sacrifice and how He was gentle and humble about giving Himself for us.

Yet, one could argue that a lamb would not willingly be sacrificed. So, calling Jesus the Lamb is not meant to be taken totally literally to mean He is totally like any lamb. And the same goes for calling Jesus the Lion of Judah.

Also, the LORD is called our Rock. But God is not a big giant rock. So, thank You, God, for how You use images and with You we can get the right understanding, and even enjoy growing to discover all You mean . . . like how little children can grow and discover with their parents.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,708.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are ignoring the REST of the passage! You posted and and REFUSE to read it!

lol. You can't even read the context!!!! Its all about the lamb. The lamb is slaughtered by the lion but he rises again! duh! .

Revelation does not say that the lion slaughtered the lamb - and you talk about reading things into Scripture that aren't there!

The lion and the Lamb are both Jesus.
The angel said that the lion of the tribe of Judah was going to open the seals; John looked up and saw a lamb, who opened the seals. Clearly they are the same person.

I can see why you don't want them to be - because you'd have no grounds for criticising CS Lewis. But it's what Scripture says.

And please stop saying "duh", like it's really obvious and we're all stupid for not seeing it - not very nice.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Lord Jesus Christ has numerous names and titles. He was the Lamb of God on the Cross, but He will be the Lion of the tribe of Judah at His second coming, when He supernaturally destroys all His enemies. He was the Suffering Servant at His first coming but He will be the KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS at His second coming.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
psalm 22 is an amazing one, very clear picture of Jesus. interesting that he is said to "roar" in the first verse.

Ps 22:1 (YLT)
To the Overseer, on `The Hind of the Morning.' --A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me? Far from my salvation, The words of my roaring?

it is good to know the law! the samson thing was a symbol given by the Holy Spirit to explain how the tree of knowledge of good and evil views God. many of the disciples of Jesus were also offended at Jesus because of his hard sayings which they thought would make them sin against against God:

even ezekiel seems concerned, but the Lord works with those who have faith in him:

Ezek 4:12-15 (YLT)
A barley-cake thou dost eat it, and it with dung--the filth of man--thou dost bake before their eyes. And Jehovah saith, `Thus do the sons of Israel eat their defiled bread among the nations whither I drive them.'
And I say, `Ah, Lord Jehovah, lo, my soul is not defiled, and carcase, and torn thing, I have not eaten from my youth, even till now; nor come into my mouth hath abominable flesh.' And He saith unto me,
`See, I have given to thee bullock's dung instead of man's dung, and thou hast made thy bread by it.'..............................................

Interesting.
Josephus had described an event similar to that during the divine destruction of OC Jerusalem in AD 70, just as prophecied by YAHWEH and the Lord Jesus in the Bible......fascinating...

http://www.bible.ca/pre-destruction70AD-george-holford-1805AD.htm

.........The day on which Titus encompassed Jerusalem, was the feast of the Passover...........

.........Meanwhile the horrors of famine grew still more melancholy and afflictive.
The Jews, for want of food were at length compelled to eat their belts, their sandals, the skins of their shields, dried grass, and even the ordure of oxen....
In the depth or this horrible extremity, a Jewess of noble family urged by the intolerable cravings of hunger, slew her infant child, and prepared it for a meal; and had actually eaten one half thereof, when the soldiers, allured by tile smell of food, threatened her with instant death if she refused to discover it.

Luke 21:23
"Woe to the ones in belly having and the ones suckling in those the Days!
For shall be great distress upon the Land and Wrath upon theispeople.

Reve 18:8
by this, in one day shall be arriving the blows of Her, death and sorrow and famine/limoV <3042>; and in fire She shall be being burned,
that strong Lord, the God, the one judging Her

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,708.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no argument that the Lamb is on the throne. Not the lion.

Revelation 7:17
Revelation 21 and Revelation 22

There is no argument that there IS a Lion of Judah, who is the same as the lamb of God.

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is no argument that there IS a Lion of Judah, who is the same as the lamb of God.
i've been looking through this thread and it's amazing that some simply can't read or comprehend.
rev 5:5 clearly states that Jesus is the Lion of the tribe of Judah!

He's also referred to as "the root of Jesse"! (rom 15:12)

go figure!

Upvote 0