Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ok here is one theological question that it seems a lot of christians are confused about when the answer is plain in scripture.

I hear in many christian circles think that Jesus is the lion of the tribe of judah, but, Revelation specifically says ONLY the lamb is worthy to open the scroll.

All through the bible, Jesus is referred to as the lamb.

The devil is referred to as a lion, prowling about, seeking anyone to devour.
Why do some christians refer to Jesus as a lion? Is it they get mixed up with C.S. Lewis Narnia fantasy story?

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God is referred to as many things through out scripture and just because someone or something else has a title or name does not mean that God cannot claim it. The example of the serpent in the garden representing Satan but then we see in the wilderness, God used a brazen serpent to represent a type of Christ on the cross.

Jesus can be both the Lion and the Lamb, lamb like in His innocence, His meekness of character and mighty and strong as a lion...

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I hear in many christian circles think that Jesus is the lion of the tribe of judah, but, Revelation specifically says ONLY the lamb is worthy to open the scroll.

All through the bible, Jesus is referred to as the lamb.
I love Biblegateway.com: Revelation 5:5

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Some people just don't read. The lamb takes the book out of the lion on the throne. the lion tried to open it, but he wasn't worthy, only the Lamb was.
Where does it say the root of Jesse was the one sitting on the throne?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Also if you getting your theology from 'how great is our god' song, you would be wrong.
Thats a freemason's song.

see Revelation 7:10 and all throughout the book, Jesus is referred to as the Lamb. the lion indeed tried to slay the lamb, but as we know, Jesus rose again. You can't keep a good man down, but you can stop the mouth of a hungry lion.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Where does it say the root of Jesse was the one sitting on the throne?
nowhere its just your imagination.

Read the book of revelation. You just posting red herrings that don't make any sense. I never said anything about the root of jesse. Read your Bible.

Root of jesse is not a lion. duh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Also if you getting your theology from 'how great is our god' song, you would be wrong.
Thats a freemason's song.

see Revelation 7:10 and all throughout the book, Jesus is referred to as the Lamb. the lion indeed tried to slay the lamb, but as we know, Jesus rose again. You can't keep a good man down, but you can stop the mouth of a hungry lion.
Revelation 5:5 the lion of Judah is also the root of Jesse. The Devil did not descend from Judah, nor is he the son of Jesse, the son of David. This is clearly a reference to the Messiah. Moreover, it says the lion has prevailed to open the book. John was crying because there was no one able to open it. The angel says, 'stop crying because the lion, the root is able to open it. Then it says he looked and saw a Lamb standing. Jesus, the Lamb, is the fulfillment of the prophesies of Genesis 49:9 and Isaiah 11:10.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Root of jesse is not a lion. duh.
You're right. But, neither is Jesus actually a lamb. Even so, He appears in John's vision as a lamb, and the angel says Jesus is also the root prophesied of in Isaiah, as well as the lion prophesied of in Genesis.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No jesus is the lamb in revelation.
The lion in genesis is actually the emblem, symbol or metaphor of the tribe of judah. But although jesus can trace his ancestry back to Judah, he is obviously not the lion because hes the only begotten son, so is not like the character of the lion given to judah in the blessing.

I think people get confused about this especially if they only look at one verse and not the whole chapter. Or even the entire book of revelation, its obvious that Jesus is the lamb of God, that nobody even expected, he was slain (by the lion) literally and symbolically. Only the lamb is worthy to take the book of life. It is not the lions book of life, it is the lambs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
God is referred to as many things through out scripture and just because someone or something else has a title or name does not mean that God cannot claim it. The example of the serpent in the garden representing Satan but then we see in the wilderness, God used a brazen serpent to represent a type of Christ on the cross.

Jesus can be both the Lion and the Lamb, lamb like in His innocence, His meekness of character and mighty and strong as a lion...
That is what I would think so.
A lamb, lion, bear and leopard are in mentioned in Revelation. Interesting

Pro 28:15

Like a roaring lion and a charging bear
Is a wicked ruler over poor people.

Hosea 13:8
I will meet them like a bear deprived [of her cubs;] I will tear open their rib cage,
And there I will devour them like a lion. The wild beast shall tear them.

Amo 5:19
It will be as though a man fled from a lion, And a bear met him!..............

Rev 13:2
Now the beast which I saw was like a leopard, his feet were like the feet of a bear, and his mouth like the mouth of a lion.
The dragon gave him his power, his throne, and great authority.

lions-and-tigers-and-bears-oh-my.jpg

Reactions: LLoJ
Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have no idea if this scripture is relevant in any way, but it came to mind, and i thought i would share it.

Psalm 18:25 To the faithful you show yourself faithful,
to the blameless you show yourself blameless,
26 to the pure you show yourself pure,
but to the devious you show yourself shrewd.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Some people just don't read. The lamb takes the book out of the lion on the throne. the lion tried to open it, but he wasn't worthy, only the Lamb was.

I've read every translation I can find on that one. None of them suggested, even remotely, that the Lion was unworthy to open it. In fact, they all say that the Lion had conquered and could open the scroll. Also, what I see says that the Lamb took the scroll from him who was sitting on the throne. Who was sitting on the throne of God? From the beginning of the book it's clear that God is sitting on the throne of God.

Someone told the author not to weep, because the lion had conquered and could open the scroll. The author looks up and not only sees a lamb, rather than a lion, but it's a lamb that has been slaughtered, no less. Someone had just referred to a slaughtered lamb as the lion. Do you not see the symbolism of Christ in this? The conquering lion is a slaughtered lamb. To be first he had to make himself last. To be the greatest in His kingdom he became the least in ours. Through defeat he conquered. It seems pretty straightforward to me.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've read every translation I can find on that one. None of them suggested, even remotely, that the Lion was unworthy to open it. In fact, they all say that the Lion had conquered and could open the scroll. Also, what I see says that the Lamb took the scroll from him who was sitting on the throne. Who was sitting on the throne of God? From the beginning of the book it's clear that God is sitting on the throne of God.

Someone told the author not to weep, because the lion had conquered and could open the scroll. The author looks up and not only sees a lamb, rather than a lion, but it's a lamb that has been slaughtered, no less. Someone had just referred to a slaughtered lamb as the lion. Do you not see the symbolism of Christ in this? The conquering lion is a slaughtered lamb. To be first he had to make himself last. To be the greatest in His kingdom he became the least in ours. Through defeat he conquered. It seems pretty straightforward to me.

I had that same thought about Christ, without even considering Revelation at all. It just seemed like Christ was a lion that became a lamb, i.e, from the greatest to the least.

Upvote 0