• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Life Lesson....Value Morals

Deacon

Oct 16, 2003
Bartlett, Tennessee
✟3,206.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was going to post my whole life story, but I won't...well not tonight maybe tomorrow.

I will begin in my High School life though and go from there.

I was never a popular person in school until I got to High School. The main reason I was popular was because I played football and I was a sweetheart to the ladies and a protector the weaker people against bullies. But my life isn't so sweet....I have had many tribulations ranging from my parents divorcing when I needed them together the most, my mom having cancer, my dad being an alcoholic, being too poor to buy anything. It was pretty bad. But if it wasn't for one person who was the most influential in my life (besides my grandparents) was my youth pastor, Alan Dykens. He came into my life when I was in the 8th grade, but didn't really get to know him until prob my 9th or 10th grade year. He was there for me when everyone turned there back on me. He and his wife were the greatest thing to happen to my church in a long time, because even with his busy schedule we were a busy youth group. We were having fun. But I was also drinking during this time, because life was hard, and I had no where to turn, I never told him this. But he knew something was still wrong. He continued to be there for me no matter what. Well one day after we got back from a sign language tour(my youth group sang in sign language as a part of our ministries) he announced that he was leaving us. He was a high school football coach at the time, and he got a postition as a Graduates Assistance job at a NCAA Div 1 school. Well, again this was not the best of times for a male influence to go out of my life. When he told us of his decision, I didn't take it very good. In fact even though we all loved him because of us dedication, I loved him like an older brother, because thats exactly what he was to me. He knew I didn't like his decision. I was grabbing my gear from the van we had, and he came around to talk to me. This man instilled into me that I was a leader among the group, and even though I didn't understand him at the time, I understand him now. I am proud to say I haven't had a drink in over 10 months.

Alan is now a coach at my old college. I don't know if his coming there would of influenced me to stay or not...its hard to say because, I was not like my professors or some of the administration. But I can say this, if you have an influential person, think of how he/she has changed your life. He changed my life, by instead of worrying about what will happen, instead of making things happen. I am honored to say he and my grandfather are the ones who ordained me to my church priesthood office of deacon. I don't think I would of had it any other way.

This man set inside me a life lesson of morals, belief and love, in only the deepest form.

If you have a similar story please share in this thread I and I am sure others would love to hear it.

God Bless:hug:(years this all happened 1997-2000)(year he left us was 1999)

I

Iddie4him

Deacon,
I can truly relate to most of the pain and trials you have been thru, My mother died from cancer 3 1/2 yrs ago, I am an alcoholic, I still have a beer a couple times a year, but I can control my urges with Gods help. I wasn't a jock in HS, I was introverted, no friends, no hobbies other than welding and woodworking skills. I was a very lonely individual that was suffering from depression since before I could remember. I have overcome all of my past and am happily married to E-Beth, 2 1/2 years now. I have a wonderful almost 18 mth old son that I have nicknamed Baby Destructo. He can trash a room in less than 5 mins. God works his miracles when we least expect them to happen. I am also a success story, I survived several suicide attempts and have been on meds for 10-11 years now. I function almost normally and am thankful for Lithium. I have a reason for being here yet, But, It hasn't been revealed to me yet that I know of. I am sure that I have a reason for being alive yet, and eagerly await God's plan for me and what he intends for me to accomplish. My dad is alive yet and lives up north. He and I never really related to well growing up, only after I had a family did I realize he wasn't quite as stupid as I thought. We did end up hitting a wavelength that was good for both of us, we talk all the time and have a much better relationship now than I thought we would ever have.

Upvote 0