Oct 10, 2013
Rural Missouri, United States
✟12,374.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

I am currently considering transferring to another college. Do to personal issues, at present, I am truly only heavily considering colleges within my state and online. Currently the college I attend is a secular one; I would love to transfer to one with a Christian worldview. Apparently my major is not that common (web development or similar) so that immediately limits my options. Finances are also a huge concern. After much research, Liberty University online seems a feasible option. I was wondering if anyone had any first-hand experience with this particular college or knows anyone who did or does?

Thanks!

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have no doubt that there are some current Liberty University students as well as graduates who've had positive experiences and would recommend it enthusiastically, but before investing precious time and money with them it's imperative to look beyond the glossy sentiments and look at the ROI (Return on Investment) potential. Overall Liberty has a dismal reputation, in academics, tuition value, employment statistics for graduates, and student satisfaction. The steep tuition fees do not convert into a higher quality of education or increase the prestige of a Liberty degree.

Ranking America's Top Colleges 2014 - Forbes
For the seventh year, FORBES has partnered with the Washington, D.C.-based Center for College Affordability and Productivity (CCAP) for America’s Top Colleges. The FORBES list of 650 schools distinguishes itself from competitors by our belief in “output” over “input.” We’re not all that interested in what gets a student into college, like our peers who focus heavily on selectivity metrics such as high school class rank, SAT scores and the like. Our sights are set directly on ROI: What are students getting out of college?

Forbes ranked Liberty as #623 out of the 650 colleges it reviewed for ROI. Other Christian universities are far higher on the list, so it was not a punitive ranking due to Liberty's religious affiliation. In certain employment sectors, such as in Christian K-12 education, a degree from Liberty probably has far more value, but many others dismiss it as being a high priced diploma mill.

Your own worldview will shift the lens for how you perceive and apply your education. I would explore other programs that are online and in your state and compare them critically. Attending a Christian university won't automatically enhance your faith or your education. Here's another list of rankings specifically for online bachelor's programs. Liberty's ranking there is higher, but still far below others, many of which are more affordable.
Best Online Bachelor's Programs | Online Bachelor's Rankings | US News

Best wishes.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Despite that report, it's still academically respected, and their credits will transfer to other schools.

"March 2014-- Liberty Law was one of 21 universities and colleges in the United States to receive an A or higher in the list of best schools for practical training, placing it in the top 10 percent of all law schools in the nation. (The National Jurist)"

Rankings | Liberty University School of Law

$375 per credit hour is reasonable, unless comparing it to state-subsidized tuition.

If you take online courses, factor in some extra time to get accustomed to the process. Watch some videos on course management systems like Blackboard, Moodle, Angel to get a feel for it. It takes a lot of initiative and reading -- the student is responsible for knowing dates and expectations, without the verbal reminders you'd get in a classroom.

You can take some general ed courses at the cheapest accredited college you find, and transfer them later. But make sure to eventually settle into the college you plan to graduate from, because a set percentage of your credits and professional coursework will need to come from the college granting the degree.

This “in residence” credit will include online courses, even if you're not there in person.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Keep in mind that some schools are more attentive to bringing statistical numbers up to the published reports. If they know the publications use the same criteria for their lists each year, administrators work to bring the school in alignment -- because it's their job to manage enrollment and budgets.

For instance, they might lower tuition and then raise the price for meals. Charge $600 for parking. Add on student fees that don't show up in the statistics.

If a school's administration wants to stick to their convictions and just produce a quality product/service, they might choose to ignore the numbers... and then suffer scorn.

Apparently my major is not that common (web development or similar
Many Christian schools grant liberal arts degrees, rather than technical degrees. They may have solid technical programs, but the degree will include more liberal arts courses, leading toward a master's program. (Compare BS to BA or BTech.)

That might be why you are not finding many web development programs. They're out there, but you might want to look into creative solutions, like multidisciplinary degrees where you bring in a cluster of professional courses from another school.

If you're looking for a Christian environment, you might not feel it online; so it might matter less where you take your online courses from.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JodieMurray

Oct 28, 2021
Kentucky
✟7,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it will be difficult to arrange if you are looking for a college in your area or even in the state in ready to move. It is more difficult to consider studying abroad and moving to another country to study. Recently I found a useful link to help me with my future move to Sweden. I have long wanted to get an education in one of the Scandinavian countries and I succeeded and use an article on how studying in sweden college for international students

Upvote 0

Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟114,179.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know someone at my church that has a family member down there right now, she loves it! There are also numerous videos about Liberty on YouTube, I have watched almost all of them and that has helped me, it is my dream to work there, but however God directs. There is no place like it anywhere in the world, the school has a special anointing. Apparently graduation day there is anointing day, the special anointing comes upon you when you graduate. Jerry Falwell did things right at Liberty! He kept the enemy out of the school and it is a class act, it is highly respected by even secular colleges and non-christians!

Hello,

I am currently considering transferring to another college. Do to personal issues, at present, I am truly only heavily considering colleges within my state and online. Currently the college I attend is a secular one; I would love to transfer to one with a Christian worldview. Apparently my major is not that common (web development or similar) so that immediately limits my options. Finances are also a huge concern. After much research, Liberty University online seems a feasible option. I was wondering if anyone had any first-hand experience with this particular college or knows anyone who did or does?

Thanks!

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Dave Darling

Jan 10, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
✟114,179.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

Thanks!

Have you looked at Georgia Tech? It is a secular college but apparently the dean and administration are strong believers in Christ and they have done a very good job at keeping the enemy out of the school, the atmosphere on campus is much better than other colleges and tuition is lower than schools they compete with.

Upvote 0

jessiefromtg

Jun 18, 2023
Connecticut
✟8,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Keep in mind that some schools are more attentive to bringing statistical numbers up to the published reports. If they know the publications use the same criteria for their lists each year, administrators work to bring the school in alignment -- because it's their job to manage enrollment and budgets.

For instance, they might lower tuition and then raise the price for meals. Charge $600 for parking. Add on student fees that don't show up in the statistics.

If a school's administration wants to stick to their convictions and just produce a quality product/service, they might choose to ignore the numbers... and then suffer scorn.

Many Christian schools grant liberal arts degrees, rather than technical degrees. They may have solid technical programs, but the degree will include more liberal arts courses, leading toward a master's program. (Compare BS to BA or BTech.)

That might be why you are not finding many web development programs. They're out there, but you might want to look into creative solutions, like multidisciplinary degrees where you bring in a cluster of professional courses from another school.

If you're looking for a Christian environment, you might not feel it online; so it might matter less where you take your online courses from.
As a father, I believe that the environment plays a crucial role in my child's development. It's not just about the academic curriculum; it's about the values, beliefs, and community that shape their character. A Christian environment provides a unique opportunity for my child to grow spiritually, surrounded by like-minded individuals and mentors who share their faith. It offers a supportive atmosphere that nurtures their religious beliefs and encourages them to live according to their convictions. While online courses may provide convenience,just like this site i have found and helped my child with his assignments Computer Science Assignment Help from Experts although,they may lack the immersive and tangible experiences that come with a physical Christian school. Being part of a faith-based institution allows my child to integrate their education with their faith, fostering a holistic growth that extends beyond the classroom. The environment truly matters in shaping my child's identity, values, and lifelong journey of faith.

Upvote 0